“Can't Beat the Price for this Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Times Square West

You added Comfort Inn Times Square West to your Saves list
Comfort Inn Times Square West
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   343 W. 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Formerly Comfort Inn Theatre District) (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #155 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlantic City
“Can't Beat the Price for this Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

Check in was a bit slow, but we arrived 15 minutes before official check-in time, and some folks ahead of us in the line didn't have rooms ready yet, so the staff had to do some shuffuling to get them into a room, which slowed the process a bit. The room was small, but that is typical in Manhatten. It was very comfortable, with updated bathroom and very clean. The beds were fine, plenty of hot water in the shower and the heat was easily controlled in the room. Not sure what else you could want for the price this close to the Broadway theaters. We will be staying here on our next trip to NYC.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

For a 2-night stay with one friend to see shows on Broadway, I was pleased with the location and the price. I carefully checked the beds for critters and the mattresses appeared new and were covered with the zipped protectors. The bed was comfy. We had a room with 2 double beds - it was very small, but to be expected in NYC in this price range and location. As an admittedly picky traveler, here are some observations - the same red hard candy that was on the carpeting when I arrived was still in the same spot when I left (ick! - no vacuuming in my room I guess). The carpeting is worn and coming up in some corners. There are scrapes and scratches and marks on the walls. Outdated bedspreads (the poly-fill type) and blankets (poly blankets, too - ick, rarely get cleaned). Although the self-serve breakfast is free - I can't imagine eating a frozen Lender's-type bagel with cheap NYC bagel shops on every corner! Also noticed a young boy fishing out an egg from the hard-boiled egg container (a tray filled with water holding the eggs) with his fingers (ick!). The eating area is in the lobby next to the front door - so it was freezing cold. The elevators are slow, yes, but I used the stairs (I stayed on the 5th floor) instead. My interaction with the staff was limited, they said hello and smiled when I left and arrived, and one morning the breakfast attendant offered to make me a waffle (instead of me making it) - that was very nice. Our room had a frig, which was useful. Some of the tv stations (oddly, the local ABC) were on the fritz. Walls are pretty thin and heard noise from the hallway a lot. When we were there, there also seemed to be foursomes of twenty-something female friends who were pretty noisy having hallway chats on cell phones.
So, as you can see, nothing too too terrible, but after a long day of touring about, I like to look forward to the hotel room I'm paying for. In this case, I stayed out as long as possible to avoid the room - and made sure I was good and tired before returning so I wouldn't notice all these details... Having said all this, I can't say that I have a better midtown recommendation in this price range - I've stayed at the Belvedere about 5 times, but ONLY in the business rooms - the others are awful.... I might stay in Chelsea instead next time (see reviews of Fashion 26) if the price is right.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

I stayed here with 5 of my friends for 4 nights in November 2010.

HOTEL: Location is perfect as it is right on Times Square.
Check in was fine and fast. Friendly staff. There were 7 floors and we were on the 7th floor which was not a problem as the lift worked fine.

ROOMS: The rooms are not that big but big enough. All you need is a bed and bathroom your not there to stay in the room all holiday. there were 2 double beds which were fine and no bed bugs (dont know what people are on about) and a bathroom and a wardrobe, also a tv and telephone. The maids came and changed the towels every day and to do the general cleaning. Was all fine.

BREAKFAST: This was served from 6.30 (i think) to 10.30 it was fine. Had a variety of cereal in the little cereal boxes, toast, waffels, some cakes and crossiants, eggs bacon and sausages, fruit and youghurts tea and coffee and orange and apple juices. The only problem is the breakfast area is quite small so try get there early around 8 to get a seat but you can always take your breakfast back to your rooms.

I would recommend this hotel to others - i was a bit worried at first after reading about bed bugs etc and i cannot stand bugs and dirt but this hotel was absolutley fine and i would stay here again. it is right near times square which was perfect. We were out from 8.30-midnight everyday anyway to make the most of seeing new york. We didnt need 5star hotels as there is no point paying that money if your never there.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, IN. USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

Stayed 3 days and was very pleased. The reviews are on target. Judging from the emergency escape map my room (409) was the smallest on the floor, but it was OK for one and possibly for two. It was spotless. The bath was small with shower only, but nice fixtures including granite countertop around the sink. The toilet was even one of those "Toto" models with the slow, self-closing seat. The housekeeping was fine and timely. I had no problem finding a table for breakfast, even though this was the busy Christmas season. The pleasant lady there even made my waffle for me! Nice flat-screen TV with lots of channels. The room even had a small frig. My AARP rate was about $231/night - which at this time of year was good. One block to the east is Sardi's. My theatre for "Memphis" was also just down 44th. The 42nd St. subway was 5 minutes away. Great area...almost directly across from the InterContinental Hotel - and the Westin is right around the corner. Great for catching a cab! Restaurants are EVERYWHERE. The food court around the corner on 8th was handy...also the "Shake Shack." Free computer with Internet in lobby - nice for printing my boarding pass. Only negative - one slow elavator for a hotel of this size...and I've seen faster ones in hospitals! Would I go back though? Absolutely. Also thanks to the nice folks behind the desk (that was a great subway map you gave me.)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Dunkirk, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

The location was great...we walked everywhere in the frigid weather of the past few days. The people at the desk where great...the little lady at breakfast was beyond terrific. I never expect a huge rooom in the City but I do expect a great location...and we got it there. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. We even played UNO in the lobby one night and were blessed to great people on their way into the hotel!!!!! I have the feeling that t he people who write negative reviews are just negative people! And there are NO bedbugs!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

As usual, the reviews on Tripadvisor did not disappoint me! This hotel was great. Everything from the location - near Times Square, the theatres, and shopping - to the staff to the price was great. It was very clean and no evidence of the dreaded NYC bedbugs! I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with my elderly mother and my teenage daughter. The room was a bit small, but for NYC it was actually a little roomier than what I had expected. I have stayed in hotels in Wash DC and London that were smaller than this and more expensive. The attendants at the desk and the housekeeping staff were all very friendly and helpful. The free hotel breakfasts don't really excite me much in general so my comments on this are probably not very helpful. They did offer hard boiled eggs, sausages, waffles, cereals, yogurt etc. We appreciated it as the price of food in NYC is outrageous and this did provide some nourishment without added cost! None of the other Times Square hotels we have stayed in have offered a breakfast. The high speed internet actually worked and really was high speed! I recommend this hotel without reservation.

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

My family and I stayed at this hotel from December 2nd through 5th, and had an amazing stay. Rooms were very clean, and you can tell that this is still a "new" hotel. The bathroom was a little small, especially with me being a bigger guy, but it did the job. Bed was comfortable, and with walking around NYC all day, you are going to want a comfortable place to sleep. One drawback though is that the curtains don't close, so if you are used to a pitch black room, you won't get that here. Free wifi was great! The breakfast in the morning was an added bonus, and tasted quite good. The staff was outstanding. Always ready to help if needed. For the price you pay, you can't beat the location. Two blocks to the Times Square subway station. Phantom of the Opera is on the same street as the hotel, along with a few other theaters. I would definitely stay here again the next time I visit NYC.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Times Square West? Share your experiences!