“Great place; great experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Times Square West

You added Comfort Inn Times Square West to your Saves list
Comfort Inn Times Square West
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   343 W. 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Formerly Comfort Inn Theatre District) (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #155 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tampa, FL
“Great place; great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

My wife and I spent three nights here prior to our trip to the Holy Land. We found the hotel to be an excellent choice. As some have noted previously, the rooms are small (this is, after all, Times Square area in Manhattan), and the elevator is slow to be sure. Other than that, everything we experienced was superior. The location - 2 blocks from Times Square and many Broadway shows - makes New York sights very accessible. The subway is less than 2 blocks away. We chose not to use tour buses (we wanted to see how New Yorkers get around), and we refused to pay exhorbitant rates for taxis. We found buses and subways to be fast and efficient. The hotel was almost new and it showed. The bath was immaculate and the housekeeping staff kept the place tidy and neat. The bed was comfortable, even though the room was small. The amenities described in the promotional literature was spot on. The TV was great, and the WiFi was great (albeit, a little bit slow when compared to high speed internet). The continental breakfast was great - not just a roll and coffee. We had eggs, bacon, cereal, waffles, etc - quite a choice. The staff was wonderful. Sam, the manager, was a great host, and his staff made our stay very pleasurable. I told Sam that when we come back to Manhattan I won't consider staying anywhere else. Is it that good. You bet !! And I'm telling all our friends and relatives where to stay in Manhattan, also.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Skiatook, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

My family and I satyed at this hotel for 3 nights. It was very comfortable, and in a great location. It is located in close proximity of the subway and nice restaurants. The free breakfast was a nice plus, also. The only real drawback was that the elevator was rather slow.

TIPS:
*While Times Square has many restaurants, check out 9th street. There is a wide variety of dining options to choose from.

*Don't book a taxi to/from the airport through the hotel. It is significantly cheaper to just go outside, and catch a cab yourself. (The staff member at the front desk offered us a price of $75 for a van to LGA. We went outside to try our luck, and we got a cab to LGA for about $40.)

*If it is your first time in the city, you will want to utilize the subway. Make sure you have a map, and you are somewhat familiarized with the metro system.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

Just came back from a week in NYC. I usually tried to stay away from "touristy" spots like Time Square whenever I visit NYC but the reasonable price and good reviews of this hotel got me curious so I decided to give it a try. All I can say is, what a gem in the middle of Time Square! This hotel is located on W. 44th St. between 8th & 9th St. (close to 9th) and needless to say this is a fantastic location. Tons of eateries on 9th Avenue (as part of the Hells Kitchen area) and numerous shops/stores on 8th Avenue as well. The subway entrance/exit is about half a block away and if you are traveling from JFK Airport, the E train is right there. Speaking of super convenience!

Hotel has obviously been refurbished recently so everything looks relatively new. The room is not super huge but of a very decent size with modern decor. Compare to many other hotels I stayed in NYC before, you have a queen size bed, a comfortable couch, a working desk with free internet, a refrigerator and a coffeemaker in room and a fully functional bathroom with a full size tub, plus free breakfast at this hotel. As a AAA member, I got a super deal of $99 w/tax per night! Now where would you go find a quality hotel in the midst of Time Square for less than $100 a night? Sure this is not your fancy and luxurious hotel, but you also don't spend too much time sleeping or hanging at your hotel in NYC, so why would you pay $150, $200 or even more for hotels?

I do agree with a couple reviews here that walls are THIN and the elevator can be slow, which may be irritating to some people. Actually I have stayed at other much more expensive NYC hotels before and found many of them having the same problems. Bear in mind many NYC buildings are old so these problems are quite common, especially if your hotels are converted from old buildings. This one is no exception. But if price is what you care most about and you do get a nice comfortable room with a great price at a good spot in town, then these issues really become secondary.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel and will not hesitate to book it again next time when I return to NYC.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

We traveled in mid-December on a weekend. I had booked this hotel before it even opened, so got a fantastic rate. I think that if you can get a room for around $175 or so, you should consider this hotel since it is brand new and about a 5 min walk to Times Square. It's on the west side, near many of the theatres. We traveled with friends and they said their room was very noisy at night - we were on opposite sides of the hotel and seem to have been a litle more buffered. The rooms are clean, nicely decorated, but small (as to be expected in NYC). The complimentary breakfast is ok - great if you have a family and don't want to go out and pay at least $20 for breakfast.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Belfast- N.Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

We stayed here for a week at the beginning of December.. It is located a few blocks off times square, nearest subway is he port authority- but its just as easy to walk to times square rather than taking shuttle over to it.

Free breakfast was great for saving time and money each morning.. included: waffle maker, toast, bagels, buns, croissants, pastries, yoghurt, fruit, cereal, fruit juice, tea, coffee, bacon, eggs.. what else do you need?/ Plenty of cream cheese, butters, jams and maple syrup. staff always refilling everything! Didn't mind if you took it up to your room.. could be busy in the morning but we always got a seat..

free internet, computer and printer which was handy for checking in online

One lift in hall way- very slow but not a fault really of the staff...

rooms cleaned very well, new soaps etc always stocked up

I would def stay here again if I got the same price, we paid £85 a night for the room.

On check out we got freshly made cookies each which were yummy as we waited on our taxi.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2009

We just returned from a two-night stay at this Comfort Inn in NYC. There are many positives about this hotel but a few negatives, too. First of all the location is great, the rooms are clean, the staff is friendly and the rates are good - BUT ... the hotel is incredibly noisy. We didn't spend a lot of time in our room, but when we did, we were hoping to get a good nights sleep after a full day in Manhattan. We were on the second floor just above the lobby, and on the first night we could hear people talking on the street below at 3 a.m. (for about an hour) just like they were in our room. The snow plow came by three times, we could hear the elevator going up and down, and the heater in our room clicking on and off made a ton of noise. On the second night, someone on our floor (who had a few too many) was moaning and yelling, the garbage truck parked right outside our window and loaded up for a good hour and that elevator and heater continued to make a lot of noise. We found the breakfast pretty brutal, too. Luke-warm coffee, boiled eggs that you found difficult to cut with a knife, dry croissants. If you stay here, be prepared for the noise. I don't know if requesting a room on a higher floor at the back of the hotel would help, but this is what I would do. We had a terrific time in NYC, but sleep would have been nice, too!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

I had been hoping to take a holiday trip to NYC for 4 years and it finally happened last week. Unfortunately, staying at this hotel put a real damper on the trip.

First the positives - the location is a few short blocks from Times Square so that was a plus, the rate was under $200 per night, the rooms seemed to be clean, the beds were just fine (I'm not sure why several reviewers have gone on about how comfortable the beds are - they are just normal) and the assistant manager was very kind when he attempted to resolve my many concerns which leads us to...

The Negatives - Our first 2 nights were on the 1st floor and let me just say that if you check in and the hotel puts you on the 1st floor, ask for another room. (and we were not a last-minute booking - we had booked over 3 months in advance) This was hands-down the loudest room in which I'd ever stayed. We were in the hotel lobby so we heard every time someone entered the front door, took the elevator, had a conversation in the lobby, etc. It was so frustrating. After 2 nights of exhaustion, we moved to another room. Room #2 for me was also a disappointment because the bathtub wouldn't hold water and all I wanted to do after walking NYC all day was soak my feet. The very kind asst manager wanted to help but couldn't do anything until the next morning because of no maintenance person on duty. Room #2 for my friends was the exception to cleanliness mentioned above (although since Trip Advisor asks us to not post other travelers experiences, I'll refrain from posting her story and expect that she will post it herself). So onto room #3 for both of us. Which at least was quiet - although it was on the 6th floor and according to a fellow traveler the hotel elevator is the "slowest elevator in NYC." (And when we moved to room #3, that kind asst manager assured us that he would take care of us and that we would be "compensated" for our hassles)

So on the morning of checkout (the same morning that I couldn't get even warm water for a shower), our bill had not been adjusted. We had to call that kind asst manager and work something out. The very best he would offer was 25% off our 1st 2 nights only which was definitely disappointing, especially since the heater and AC for all 5 nights was seemingly uncontrollable and kept us waking up off and on to switch it off and on (it was either too hot or too cold).

NYC was lots of fun but tackling a city like that makes you want a hotel that is comfortable and accommodating. Unfortunately, this hotel wasn't.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn Times Square West? Share your experiences!