“Wonderful, wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 449 hotels in New York City
delaware
“Wonderful, wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We have visited NYC many times and stayed at many hotels but this is the best by far. Located about 4 or 5 blocks from the center of Times Square, this hotel is a gem. The staff was very friendly and extremely efficient. The rooms and public areas are very clean. Our room was very well appointed with a full size fridge, dishwasher (in which they wash your glasses), cook top, large flat screen TV. The bed was very comfortable and the room very clean albeit somewhat small. But it is NYC and rooms are never very large. The best part of this hotel is the free breakfast and evening snacks (which are more like dinner). Breakfast is served daily. Evening wine, beer, soft drinks and food are served on Tue, Wed. Thurs. each week. For example, Tues. night hamburgers, bratwurst, cobb salad bar, rolls, chips and fixins for the sandwiches. We ate out on Wed. but Thursday they served sub sandwiches, pulled pork sandwiches, Greek salad bar and Italian wedding soup. Beer, wine and soft drinks are all you can drink with your meal. We likely will never stay anywhere else in NYC! The price was comparable to any other nice city hotel without such amenities.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

3,057 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (672)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed here in April 2012. Very friendly and helpful staff and a nice touch providing chocolates in our room as they knew we were there for a celebration.
The restaurant was overfull with queues at peak breakfast time. You will spend a lot of time waiting for a lift if you are on a middle floor as they fill up with higher floor guests an there aren't enough lifts to deal with the flow. This is particularly an issue at check out times with baggage in the lift as well as people.
On the map it looks a convenient place to stay but, in truth, the road outside is a little dark and we didnt feel totally safe. Claiming to be in Times Square is a bit creative, it's a bit of a treck to get to where the tourists would recognise as Times Square. But it is right next to the bus station.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Killarney, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I found this hotel ideal for touring the center of NYC staff were very helpful, We had a very comfortable & spacious room. Only thing it tends to get a crazy for breakfast as the dinning room is small compared to the size of the hotel

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The location was great, close to bus station and subway. Hotel staff was very friendly, and nice touch on the early evening refreshers during weekdays. Rooms were spacious and clean and breakfast was a bonus.

No complaints overall. Will definitely come back to stay here

Peter

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

It’s clear that other reviewers have had their expectations clearly met here, but as a long-standing Platinum Priority Club member and frequent Trip Advisor reviewer, I tend to look deeper at what is important to me.

When I first entered my top-floor room (3205), my attention was drawn to the fact that there was a connecting door to the adjoining room (3204), due to the fact that I could hear every word the couple next door was saying. After they left the room, you could hear them again while they waited for the elevators which were directly in front of both our rooms. Then when the housekeeping team entered their room, you could hear everything again. It was at this point that I realised there was no way I could stay in that room.

After showing much patience and a willingness to help, the staff moved me to a room on a lower floor and with a smaller bed, but one without a connecting door and a view (though I wouldn’t get too hung up about “views” in this city of skyscrapers). I was also told that the rooms that backed on to the three elevator shafts would also be noisy, so I wasn’t offered one of those.

I have uploaded a picture of a typical floor plan, so you can make an informed decision about which room you could prefer. If you are a light sleeper, noise between rooms, the elevators and in the corridors is clearly an issue. You should also bear in mind that due to the size of the studios, you are – in effect – sleeping in the kitchen and that means contending with the noise of the fridge-freezer too.

The situation at breakfast is chaotic. There is clearly not enough space given the size of the hotel. The first morning I was lucky and was able to grab a table just as one family were leaving. The following morning, I had to return to my room and try again 30 minutes later. By timing my breakfasts earlier on my last two mornings, I was able to find a place, but on one of the low-level sofas, where you have to eat from tables that were only really designed to rest a drink from the bar.

The selection of breakfast items did vary from day-to-day, including the second choice of fruit juice and one or two of the hot items, though the fruit selection remained the same, so it was melon every day. The quality was OK, but nothing to write home about. And it was generally served at an unappetising luke-warm temperature. For me, having a good breakfast is key to a successfully day. The breakfast experience here didn't offer me this. I would be genuinely concerned if I was here on business and trying to keep to a morning schedule.

The evening reception that I attended was just a shambolic. Now I’ve stayed at Staybridge Suites in the UK where this is a calm reflective session. Here there were families playing board games all over the place. And a board game takes up valuable table space, so you can imagine there was even less room to seat or eat. And unlike with breakfast, when they would at least open the bar area as an overflow, the bar manager wasn't allowing food in there in the evenings. The quality of the food – burgers and hot-dogs on this occasion – didn't look too promising either, so I decided to eat out. It was this moment that convinced me that this hotel is really targeting the leisure market.

Others have mentioned the slow elevator service. That can’t really be helped given the design of the building, though it’s not made any easier by the housekeeping staff also having to use the same elevators, often just to move up or down one floor, which has to have an impact on the guest user experience.

At times, the lobby music (musak) was much too loud, not just for the size of the small lobby, but also to create an appropriate ambience for a New York hotel entrance.

If you are here for a leisure break and using up airline or hotel points, or on a very special discounted rate, I could understand the attraction of staying here. If you are here on business and paying the ridiculously high standard rates, I would recommend staying 10 or blocks further south at the full service (and new) Holiday Inn which had rates of between $60 and $100 lower per night over the time I was there.

Yes, the staff is extremely welcoming and efficient and the location is good, but the nature of the other important factors for me that I've mentioned above would stop me from returning here, when I know there to be alternatives across the city that better meet my expectations.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Times Square - New York City, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear BritTraveller68,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at the Staybridge Suites for several days with my wife and teenage grandson this past week. The facility is relatively new and in great shape, the staff are very friendly and helpful, and the facilities are very nice. The rooms are pretty small, but very comfortable and nicely appointed. For more than 2 people, however, it starts getting a little crowded. Also, the breakfasts, while crowded at peak times, were very good for this type of buffet. There was a good selection and the staff kept it all up very well. If I had any complaint, it would have to be the elevators. There are 32 floors and only 3 elevators, so at peak times in the am, elevator waits were quite lengthy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Having never been to NY before we ha no idea where to stay. My husband chose Staybridge due to its proximity to Times Square and the free breakfast. This location is only a few blocks from Times Square and 2 from the subway which is very convenient. The rooms were small (I imagine all are in NY) they have a large fridge and kitchenette with dishwasher although takes up a lot of space in your room. We had 2 beds (fulls at best) and the smallest shower (no tub).

The staff was very helpful and the entire property was very clean. Elevators hard to get sometimes and breakfast was ok. Not embassy suites type but ok. Helpful not to have to walk anywhere for breakfast.

HUGE Downside to this location is that it is across the street from the Bus Terminal. (As is the fairfield and one other hotel) Which means at the crack of dawn you hear all the buses running in and out of there. Millions a year run through this terminal. In addition it is 3 doors down from the NYC parole department. At night it's closed but durning the day....

Even though we had a nice time I would stay somewhere different (unless I needed a kitchen in my room). W would be nice if you want to be in Times Square. Beware Times is noisy though. Upper east side of Central Park have honking restrictions maybe more quiet? If you are not afraid to take the subway find a hotel close to it then you have access to the entire city. Next time I would like to stay in SoHo or the village because we spent most of our time in Downtown, little Italy, Chinatown and that's closer.

With 34,000 NYC police officers patrolling NY we felt really safe (although travel smart)

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Staybridge Suites Times Square - New York City? Share your experiences!