“Perfect if you need to do business in the area” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #225 of 449 hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Perfect if you need to do business in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This hotel is right opposite the Freedom Tower which is quite a view to wake up to in the morning..

The hotel is fairly new, beautifully designed and very well maintained. The rooms are small but modern and comfortable. It is very quiet. The gym is small but does the job very nicely as you would expect at a W. The restaurant was very good for breakfast. I liked the vibe of the hotel and found the staff particularly welcoming and helpful.

The area is hardly the heart of Manhattan. If you have business uptown, this location is not for you. If however, you need to do business in the area ( our corporate office has moved nearby), this is a great place to stay. It is top of my list in this end of town.

Room Tip: The corner rooms have marvelous views if you are facing Albany Street
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Hi Ian B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. It is good to know that we are your place to be in Downtown New York. If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com.

579 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Brazil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Just in front of Ground Zero, this hotel is amazing.
The lobby (located in the 5th floor) becomes a "night club" on late evenings with nice music...
I checked-in at 09:00 am, when I was supposed to do it by 3:00 pm. And this is one of the things I value most... If you have a room open, let people check-in and don't say "you're about to check-in in 5/6 hours, but now I'll let you go...". I hate attitude...
Anyways, the room is small and the internet (free on the lobby) is paid on the rooms.
Good location if you are in Financial Distric or don't bother jumping the Subway when heading anywhere but F.D..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Diego40,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. It is through the feedback provided by our guests that we are able to continuously improve the level of service we provide. If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com.

Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

one of my top preferred hotels! Amazing every single part of it: location, view, room's conditions, color combinations, F&B incredible. Staff is great and very kind... if you are going to NY you should stay here, or if you are looking for something more in the middle of manhattan... never mind, you should also step by downtown when you visit Ground Zero and have some drinks at the hotel. Great music... completely W!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Hello OscarAlcocer

Thank you for sharing your most recent experience with us here at W New York – Downtown! I really appreciate you taking the time to share such positive feedback with us; it is always encouraging to hear when we succeed in creating a wonderful experience for our guests.

I took great pleasure in sharing this with the team. They truly put their hearts into it and you noticed. If you’re feeling up to sharing further please consider posting your recent experience on our W website as well, this will really give them a reason to celebrate!

OscarAlcocer, thank you again for your feedback and I do hope to see you here again! Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly if I can ever be of assistance in New York; it would be my pleasure.

Montebello, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

First, let me prefice this review with stating that I am not a big fan of W Hotels to begin with. I do like al of the other Starwood properties. I travel to New York quite often for work but this time we combined vacation and booked the only Starwood property available, The W Downtown. The area is horrible. Very morbid view of the WTC. Aside from that unless you are 20 years old and like to party, you will find no comfort in the overwhelming "disco" atmosphere. They try too hard to keep you in the lounge and create a social scene. I'm not there for that. The music is too loud also. The service is sub par also. We asked for a rollaway bed before we arrived, when we arrived and while we stayed. It never appeared. Even though we were told that it would. This is after we were promised 2 beds and received one King. Don't even try their restaurant. Bad service, cold coffee, eggs are cold and runny. We didn't bother going back for any other meal. The only convenience is the WTC, Downtown shopping, Wall St, Statue of Liberty. The rest of New York is a subway and a couple of transfers away. Use the subway. With the work they are doing and the extra security, taxis have trouble getting around. This is not a bad review. Like I said, if you are into the social lobby scene, this is great. I just want to spend time in the city and not the lobby.

Room Tip: Rooms are very small. Not good for families.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Hello EM,

I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you experienced. Please contact me directly at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com so that I can start on restoring your faith in our hotel.

Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We managed to get a great last minute deal at 230/night, which is fantastic for NYC, and even more fantastic for a W. also, during booking, the booking engine crashes, so only one out of our two reservations went through. Once up again, the price had jumped $170/night. I contacted SPG Platinum chat, who again called the hotel, and they sorted out the bookings. Excellent service!

The hotel is located in the financial district, with plenty to see in the area. Brooklyn bridge is within walking distance. There are also plenty of subway stations within a few minutes.

We both got upgraded at checkin, and my room, as a Platinum was one of the huge Cool corner rooms overlooking World Trade Center. Very nice, but be aware that construction starts early in the morning.

The room itself was nice. A nice reading area by the window, as always a very comfortable W bed, iPhone charger, dock, huge munchie box and nice minibar. The interior was surprisingly light to be a W.

The bathroom however was disgusting. Housekeeping had not cleaned the toilet, and the seat had urine all over. The rest looked fine. Nice big shower with Bliss products.

The lobby/lounge/bar is very popular, and we really enjoyed it. Cool design, especially the ceiling. Great bartenders.

I would say for the price I paid, the value was ok. But not sure I would return.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Hello thorhansen,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your most recent experience with us. It is great to hear that the hotel, for the most part was to your liking. I apologize for the challenges you encountered in your bathroom. I am sorry to hear that you have no plans to stay again. Please contact me directly at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com if you would like to discuss further.

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Room didn't get cleaned first day or 3rd day. Staff asked if I had told them I wanted it cleaned! Carpet in hallways and in room needed better vacuuming every day. It feels shoddy and a bit dirty as carpets are never clean and baseboards and wallpaper is peeling.Didn't replace complimentary bottle of water any day of 4 day stay. Asked for more towels and didn't get them.Dirty glasses left out side door for 1.5 days.
Housekeeping needs huge improvement in both attitude and attention.

Food from Room Service and Breakfast is very good.
Beds are very comfortable and it was quiet if you get a room away from construction, Air conditioner no matter how it was adjusted was either off or way too strong/cold.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hello MGS2013,

I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you experienced with your room cleanliness. Please contact me directly at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com so that I can start on restoring your faith in our hotel.

Maryville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I booked it for Valentine's Day weekend, and the rate was so good that I was hesitant. I was honestly expecting horrid service or something, and I figured out what the something was the next morning...construction at the 9/11 Memorial site. I was on the 16th floor, and, although the view was great, the noise woke me up...at 8:00am, which is surprising that they were working since they can't seem to get the thing completed.

That aside, the hotel is wonderful! The staff was the best I have experienced in a W Hotel, which in my opinion, is often an IKEA that allows you to book an overnight stay. That is to say, it always looks chic, but they service never matches. The W Downtown - NY had the service to match during my stay. Sabrina at the front desk, James at the door, and several of the maids (I apologize for not catching their names) treated the property like a 4 star hotel.

The room, I booked an upgraded size room, was much bigger than I am used to seeing in NYC. The location is a short walk to the subway (Cortland St, if I recall), so it makes staying in the financial district convenient.

My recommendations: If you aren't afraid of high floors, book as high up as you can! The standard size room is sufficient, the upgraded room isn't really any bigger, so save the extra money for lunch.

Room Tip: Higher floors are a must!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Hi Cesar19,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us; and thank you for your kind words about our team. Please known that we have shared your comments with them for their efforts. If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com.

Wolfgang Wehen – General Manager

Been to W New York - Downtown? Share your experiences!