“Remember to use your safe for your valuables” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #192 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Mumbai
“Remember to use your safe for your valuables”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The staff at this hotel is not to be trusted so remember to use the safe provided in the room for your valuables.

Let me first start with the positives since the list is pretty small. Proximity to downtown if thats where your work is and to the WTC memorial. You can actually see the memorial from some of the rooms. Close to discount shopping at century 21. Ok thats where the positives stop.

Negatives - lets start with staff honesty. Bunch of thieves. I had my iPad stolen from my room and let alone an apology from the hotel they wouldn't even acknowledge the theft. Head of security Bill Masterson had no concern about the theft (I hope they fire him) and refused to return my calls. Only after numerous attempts did I get an update. So please folks use the in room safe for your valuables at this hotel, I didn't and I paid the price for it. Another big negative Construction noise. The location is in the middle of a construction zone and its going to be that way until 2015 so avoid this hotel for the next 3 years if you can. Its so out of the way that their bar/lounge is never packed you will get a smattering of after work crowd but it peters out after 8pm.

So all in all this hotel is to be avoided not a W by any measure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Hello

Thank you for your feedback and again we truly apologize for the challenges experienced. I trust you understand how seriously we take comments from our guests. Their safety, as well as that of their belongings, is of the utmost importance to us. Following our conversation last week, we believe this situation has been resolved to your satisfaction. If you have any questions, or need further assistance, please reach out to me directly at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com.

Wolfgang Wehen – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

My stay at the W hotel downtown New York...was great...beautiful hotel...excellent location...busy yet not like time square....our room over looked the World Trade Center exhibit..very modern and clean rooms...alittle small..but we made due! Great staff...my only compliant is that we receive horrible service from the staff in the lounge..bartenters was horrible and made our second round of drinks in the same glasses and reuse the same garnish(there were three of us...so who knows which glass belong to who)......we complained to the manager...however didn't let it ruin any part of our trip.....overall an awesome hotel....and I would return...when visiting New York.....be ready to shell out BIG bucks to stay here though....

Room Tip: Pay the extra money to get the lounge package "complimentary drinks and appetizers each night&q...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. I would be happy to discuss your recent service chellenges in our Lounge further with you so please reach out to me directly at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Large rooms, the friendliest staff I have encountered in quite some time. The bellman took me from the cab to check in, to my room and showed me all there was to see in the guestroom. large closet, floor length mirror, impecable Insiders, the outdoor terrace is gorgeous. You feel special when you are staying with W Downtown. The acura service starting at 8am is a reason alone to stay here.

Room Tip: spectacular room high up.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rancho Cucamonga, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We had made our appointment to see the 911 memorial, and it began to rain. We ducked into the BLT (at the W) for a snack and some shelter. We ordered the pizza margarita and some sodas. Perfect. Their pizzas are a great size for 3 ladies, and since we were having lunch after seeing the memorial, we didn't want to fill up. It was a terrific pick-me-up. The wait staff was friendly, the food was excellent, and the sodas were cold. Plus, they got us out in enough time to make our appointment. Loved it. I can't speak for the hotel, but their cafe was superb.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is a nice property for the most part. However, if I am to pay for a 4.5* hotel, I expect a bit more. The staff at recption was friendly and efficient. The rooms are well appointed but small. As I have a young child, I was annoyed that much of the shelf space in the room is taken up by the stuff for sale that was also within reach of my child. When I requested they be removed to afford more space in the room and less of an attractive nusiance, I was told there would be a $35 charge to do so. The room was mostly clean but a room needs to be FULLY clean. My child was playing on the floor and found a full vial of some type of single dose drug. When I brought it the front desk I was thanked for it. NOTHING FURTHER WAS DONE. Had I not seen my child pull up the mystery vial, I may have been taking a trip to the hospital. THIS REQUIRES MORE THAN A THANK YOU. Had the rooms been properly cleaned, I may have been more impressed with the rest of the place and less upset about the staff's inability to cope with a very upsetting customer experience but..... I might stay here again, but would never pay the standard rate as it is not worth the price. I question the current 4.5* rating. I stay in NYCa great number of nights each year and have had better experiences at a number of other less expensive alternatives. It is my hope that this review will serve to assist management with avoiding big problems in the future,

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Hello,

I'm terribly sorry to read this, and please also allow me to apologize on behalf of my team. It is very disappointing to hear that you did not have an enjoyable experience with us. I trust you understand how seriously we take feedback like this from our guests and I apologize for you feeling unsafe. I would be happy to discuss this further with you so please do reach out to me directly at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com. I hope you did enjoy other aspects of your stay and that you’ll give us another chance in the future!

New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This property is beautiful - great views of the WTC site and a very stylish lobby. The lobby, while very cool, can feel a little crowded and loud.

The customer service is not attentive. When I arrived I stood at the desk for a while before anyone came over. I think the staff was watching a youtube video or looking at something on the internet - they were all crowded around one computer and didn't notice that I was standing there for a while. Also, I was overcharged on my hotel folio. I sent an email to the GM's email address as instructed on the folio, but I got no response.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hello

I'm terribly sorry to hear this; it is very disappointing to hear the challenges you have experienced with the inattentive welcome desk agents and reaching our finance team to resolve your billing inquiries. I would be happy to discuss this further with you and assist to the best of my capabilities so please feel free to reach out to me directly at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com.

New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I'm currently staying in the W Downtown (September 15, 2012). Here are some factual observations.

1. Upon check in: i) the sheets on the bed were stained, ii) one bath towel had someone else's hair all over it, iii) another bath towel was stained with a brownish substance, iv) the carpet by the door is stained with some white substance, and v) the cabinet door to the minbar is broken and half-hanging on by one hinge. This may be a relatively new hotel, but it doesn't seem like it.

2. The rooms themselves are fine. Not overly large, but I've seen a lot smaller. The design of the room is really futuristic (even for a W).

3. Room service came pretty quickly (within 20 minutes of ordering).

4. The gym is useable, but sub par for a hotel.

5. Internet is $15/day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
WolfgangWehen, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Hello,

I'm terribly sorry to hear this let me apologize for that also in the name of my entire team! Please contact me directly at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com so that I can start on restoring your faith in our hotel.

Wolfgang Wehen – General Manager

Been to W New York - Downtown? Share your experiences!