“good, just not quite great” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Eventi - a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Eventi - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Eventi - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   851 Avenue of the Americas (Sixth Avenue), New York City, NY 10001 (Chelsea)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Double Double Offer
Ranked #30 of 452 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Southern California
“good, just not quite great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

First the not-so-great: small-ish room, even though i was in a larger suite room with a separate sitting room space. Lobby is really nicely done, but quite small. The hotel is on a corner, with floor-to-ceiling windows, and it would be a great place to hang-out and watch the world go by, but there's not a lot to hold you there. Perhaps it was just me, but neither TV seemed to want to raise or lower the channel using the up/down button on the remote, so I had to direct-enter each channel number. In-house restaurant, while privately managed, is just so-so, and the bar scene is a bit depressing.

Now the great: loved the staff. Superb care from every single member, including the housekeeper. Kudos to the hiring manager for getting it completely right. Bed was brilliant -- soft and welcoming, but still firm enough for a great night's sleep. Great linens too! Great location, just down the street from the Empire State (had a brilliant view from my room too). Did I mention how good the staff were...?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

1,975 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Turkish first
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I was not sure about the reviews, as I've had some misses with TA lately. However, this is a perfect NYC hotel. The location is awesome. A block from Penn Station (just wheel your suitcases over!); and in the middle of Manhattan. The rooms are gorgeous, romantic, and cozy (in a good way!). We had a deluxe king (corner, facing empire state building) with king bed. Such a great room. Clean, compact, but very pretty and luxurious. Nice size bathroom. As always, the 5pm wine and spirits and snack is ever so welcome, especially when you have been running around NY all day! The staff everywhere (front desk guys, bellmen, valet, happy hour staff) could not be nicer (there was one semi-cranky woman, but the rest were great!). The manager gave me a late checkout (thank you, so helpful), and the cupcakes and champagne for my husband's bday were awesome. Love the Kimpton Hotels. I should be a spokesperson for them. I usually stay at Four Seasons, but I equally love the Kimpton model, down to the little perk of the free mini-bar items. Really small little bonus, but brilliant. I cannot wait to come to the Eventi again. Also, a friend of mine told me I had to check for bed bugs in NYC (gross, but I did) and they had a clean record! I had just come from the Kimpton Palomar in DC, another favorite!

boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Hotel was great! Staff were amazing!
We brought our dogs with us for a weekend getaway to the big city. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The room was spacious and modern. The bed was very comfortable--- and they do a great job cleaning up the rooms too. Their complimentary wine hour is always a good time, and we actually met a very friendly couple who was staying there as well. Thank you so much for another great stay Kimpton!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
stratford, ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We used a sniqueaway offer staying at the Eventi for the first time. It was just a great experience for a long weekend. The rooms appear dark in the online photos but were spacious and bright and very well appointed. Clean rooms, comfortable bed, great bathroom size, quality linens, I could go on and on. But the best of all is the staff. They are the hotel's greatest asset. The quality just sets the hotel in a class above the rest.

Room Tip: Room on the 15th floor and above terrific city views. The rooms with floor to ceiling windows are s...
Canterbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

What makes this hotel so special, with all the hotels to choose from in New York is the staff!

They go out of their way to make your stay special, for the moment you walk in. Know you by name with concierge ready to direct you and get a taxi whenever you leave the building. A friendly hello when you return!

The location is great and getting in and out is easy breezy. The valet is prompt, efficient in bringing your car 'round and getting your luggage packed up and you on your way.

Clean rooms with a modern flair! Love this place! It's our new NYC favorite!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on high floor to get the best sleep! (Anything above the 15th floor offers gre...
aol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I took my 15 year old daughter into NYC to see the beautiful ballet, Sleeping Beauty at Lincoln Center with her best friend and mom. It was fabulous...eye candy! Her friend and mom went back to CT that evening after dinner, we had reservations for an overnight stay at Eventi hotel. I had researched Eventi thanks to Sniqueaway, Trip Advisor's sister site, but had lost my ability to secure a reservation because of mere hesitation caused by trepidation. I didn't know if it would be a good fit, would it be close to Lincoln Center and close to daughter no.2 who lives in the LES? Because of a special that Kimpton was providing (25% off selected hotels and dates), they sent me an email and I felt that it was destined to be where we needed to be. It proved to be a perfect location. Eventi exceeded my expectations in oh so many virtues.
It was contemporary, but not cold. The rooms were immaculate with the best of ammenities, and a thoroughly thoughtful design--small input but huge output--like enough hidden but accessible outlets for phone, iPad, etc on the desk...huge marble bathroom that swallows you with a shower head to match. My daughter loved it! and the views! One block away from the Empire State Building to be viewed from our room. But this is small 'taters to what I view is really valuable to me. Eventi's staff. Every one that I encountered (I'm an open person) that was employed by the hotel...Desk attendent when we walked in, he gave us a room on the 21st floor (with a killer view!)...a member of the staff that brought up a toothbrush and tooth paste that I had forgotten; we talked for like 10 minutes about last week's snowstorm--I showed him pics...the gentleman that hosted the dining room the next morning; I bravely went down in jammies and fuzzy socks for much needed caffeine... to the attendent securing my bags for the day so I could meet up with daughter no. 2 and her bf for brunch... to the gentleman hailing a cab for me--were of the kindest and most sincerely nicest group of people I could hope for. What played in my head was that they were passing kindess out and it was contageous to all that were staying at the hotel! Such great vibes...I didn't mind catching that!

Room Tip: Ask and ye may receive!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Victor,NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The hotel was dollar for dollar well worth it. Clean rooms, attentive staff and decent gym. The only downfall is it is not in the best of areas; albeit in NYC everything is a short taxi-ride away. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Eventi - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!