“Good experience for mother/daughter” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Eventi - a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Eventi - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Eventi - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   851 Avenue of the Americas (Sixth Avenue), New York City, NY 10001 (Chelsea)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #32 of 452 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“Good experience for mother/daughter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The bed was comfortable, bathroom amazing, Kimpton Rewards coupon for minibar and the free WiFI appreciated. Also, the air in the room was amazing, but I could not have the air conditioning/heat on at night because something in the unit was rattling. So could not use as white noise.

We purchased room via Snique Away and I bought the 12th floor deluxe view room. We made one special request and that was that we only had one night in NYC and it was my daughters first time, so said we'd love the Empire State building view BUT I am also very sensitive to sound (thus the view room purchase) and specifically requested not to be next to elevator and clearly stated that our sound avoidance needs trumped desire for view. So despite this request, we ere put in a room directly in front of the elevators, not backed up to them, so I thought maybe it would be OK and didn't request to be changed. As it turns out, the elevators were not the problem; we were also next to some shaft and in the middle of the night there was this awful banging sound that went on and on. I don't know if it was pipes or something else changing temperature, but it woke me up and kept me up for quite some time. We were on the 23rd floor and directly across from the elevator, 2305 I believe. If you want a quiet room, I would ask to avoid being next to any shafts, elevator or otherwise.

Room Tip: Avoid any and all shafts! Empire State Building view was great to have.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HotelManagerEventi, Manager at Eventi - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
eemserms,
How fun! So happy to read you had a nice mother and daughter trip here in NYC. Hope to see you again next time you ladies are on the east coast!

1,985 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
  • Turkish first
North Little Rock, AR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

My friends and I took a girls trip to NY and stayed here. We had a phenomenal experience! The staff made us feel very safe. They were friendly and very knowledgeable. The rooms were great!! The spa was amazing! This is definitely a place I would stay again!

• Stayed November 2012
HotelManagerEventi, Manager at Eventi - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
hou35365,
Thanks! Its great to read you and your ladies had a great time. Make sure to come stay with us again when you are celebrating, or just because! Can't wait to see ya.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Lobby and elevators smell like bad cologne...they have candles going on. that might be it. Checked in..had to have someone come up and change the clock time. I could not figure that out nor could he. Television pixilating...front desk did not even know the hotel offers HBO and not knowledgable on a thing. Maintenance fixes tv...MY comforter had holes in it...feathers flying everywhere. Had to ask that be replaced. Room service not bad...not great food. Pass on the happy hour and breakfast they are comping....so mediocre from the wine..and taste of food...complimentary for a reason. Checking out. I cite that Room Service is not on the bill. Sorry they can't help but I will need to call later and get an accurate bill. Guess what I am traveling on business...they made this hard on me and easy on them. I need an accurate receipt to expense...again...easy on them hard on me. Clock never worked right..not lit...could not see.
Again, people great...bathrooms good. But if you want a tub, be sure to ask. funky contemporary shower.
If you want okay...this is it.

Room Tip: Ask about a bathroom with tub.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Elwanda E,
Thanks so much for taking the time to write your review. It sure seems like we really did miss with your stay. I assure you all of your feedback will be taken to our team leaders and we will iron out the kinks. Still need a copy of your final bill? If so give me a ring at 646 794 6804 and give me your info please. Thanks!
Basel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed at the hotel right after Hurricane Sandy. I pre-paid it for the NYC Marathon that didn't take place. The hotel is new and its room spacious with a huge bathroom with marble tub/floor. We stayed at its 1-bedroom suite. It has a pull out sofa - a nice added option. Overall, I liked the hotel and its friendly staff. But the staff and their manager were not empowered to make decisions and they could not authorize me to checkout early with refund even though the marathon was cancelled and lots of people needed a room. Unlike other luxury boutique hotel that I stayed and liked, the staff in Eventi didn't have as much pride and ownership.

Back to the atmosphere. The lobby is small and basic and bar on second floor but both are not as fun and lively compared to the neighbor hotel NoMad. Also, skip the Eventi hotel breakfast and head to Andaz hotel cafe across from the Main Public Library for breakfast i.e. melt in your mouth souffle pancakes and great vibe! And I agreed with the other reviewer that expansive water in the room is unnecessary.

The hotel spa was below average. We went there because it was convenient. But it was super small (2 chairs sitting) and no 'space' to relax. more or less a 'in and out' thing but sadly the massage my friend and I received was not really good. Save your money and skip the spa.

Room Tip: 1 bedroom suite is more spacious and has a pullout sofa.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
WorldTravelerBasel,
Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I wanted to make sure you knew that all folks that either cancelled late (day of) or left early specifically due to the marathon were awarded a gift certificate for a future stay. Glad you liked the room and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to NYC.
Co Down
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Put a lot of thought into this trip as it was my wife's 'surprise' 50th Birthday treat. In the event I very nearly cancelled due to the awful effect of Hurricane Sandy and the uncertainty of what we would find, but the hotel gave me assurances by telephone that they were almost functioning at 100%. We were so pleased that we went ahead. The staff in the hotel were very pleasant and friendly -- and genuine, not 'have a nice day' whoever you are style. We had some very interesting chats and they had some stories to tell of the impact of the storm on themselves and friends --- but all were very positive and there was also a nice friendly atmosphere among guests who included forlorn marathon runners and some refugees and their dogs. The hotel is tremendously relaxed. We were in an incredible 20th floor room overlooking both 6th Avenue and 29th Street. Just lovely and comfortable. The bed was one of the best ever. It was certainly more spacious than other hotel rooms in big cities that we've been in. We became regulars at the evening Wine Reception and studiously managed three glasses each and also availed of the tea/coffee at reception each morning; though we did miss not having tea or coffee in the room which is after all the norm in UK hotels. Not wanting to deviate from our affection for this hotel, we do want to mention a few other aspects that may be worth consideration by the management: having to pay premium prices for drinking water in the bedroom seemed just a little mean; we didn't really enjoy the breakfast - eggs were quite runny with a strange tang and the sitting area was cold; the hairdryer had a very short cable and there was nowhere in the room really suitable to use it with a mirror; while there were dressing gowns, there were no slippers -- thick socks which served as slippers were hanging in the cupboard and could be purchased, but it's just that any hotel we have been in with robes have also had basic slippers. Oh and by the way we had a brilliant time in New York - we adored the New Yorkers who are for sure among the friendliest, warmest and most genuine people in the world. A strange time to be a tourist and we felt a little guilty to be enjoying our holiday so much when many were struggling with their daily lives!!! .

Room Tip: a higher floor for the views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TravelluverCoDown,
Your review is so impactful to us, thanks so much for your review and the 5 stars! We will be looking at all of your feedback and thank you for braving forward with your plans despite the challenging travel due to the hurricane. Come and celebrate with us more!
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We chose the Eventi Hotel, after searching multiple hotels in our price range for a couple weeks. I found by chance that the Eventi had some availability after reviewing Kimpton hotels in general. We liked the idea of the location of this hotel, because we wanted to spend a lot of time in lower Manhattan on our 5 day trip, as well as doing a few things uptown, including a Broadway show. We were very happy to have chosen this hotel! It has an elegance not expected for a hotel in NYC for this price! It was super duper trendy, and the rooms have amazing bathrooms, and lots of space and great views!!! (Our view in particular was that of the Empire State Building!). The bed was dreamy, I slept like a good sleeping baby! The bar area, and restaurant are situated on the backside of the hotel, and through the back part of the bar restaurant, you look out through a glass wall of windows onto their xtra big screen hanging on the side of another building across the street! Super cool! The wine hour with appetizers daily is something you will not find in NYC period! The staff was always willing to help with recommendations, even though we are the type of people that research in the weeks prior to our trip where to go and what to do, have no fear, being a fly by the seat of your pants type of guest is perfect in this hotel! They make recs fitting to your interest, and make reservations for you, etc. They take care of it all! Since we celebrated our anniversary there in Oct during our stay, they had a bottle of wine and a fruit tray sent to our room the day we checked in! Sweet! Some have mentioned that they don't like this part of town...because it is just shy south of the hub-bub of times square, but I found that great!! We were two short blocks from the subway, and right next door to Macy's Herald Square! I also really loved not being run over by tourists when I walked out the front entrance! There was nothing inconvenient about this location whatsoever...and we wanted to spend lots of time in SOHO...so this was a perfect hotel for us!!! We cannot wait to come back and book the Eventi! Specifically, we loved Patrick, and we also had a great time talking to, and getting recommendations from TJ about restaurants to try in the city. We have suggested good friends stay there this coming weekend, and they have booked the Eventi and cannot wait to go!!! We would suggest it to anyone! you will not be sorry! Oh and PS, the pizzas on the bar menu at the restaurant are excellent! Thin crust, fresh garlic? Is this really a hotel?! Excellent!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Empire State Building if you so choose! They honor your request!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
brassyg,
Thanks - we love reading these 5 star ratings, but mostly we really feel like you had a great time and that's what makes us most happy. TJ and Patrick just got hi-fived for making that emotional connection with you, so thanks for giving them a shout out! Hope to see you again next time you are in NYC!
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I had a reservation for Nov 2-Nov 4, and was not able to make it to NYC because of Superstorm Sandy. I tried calling, emailing, and faxing the Eventi to let them know ahead of time that I was not going to be able to make it, but to no avail. Because I had pre-paid my reservation via Amex, the folks at Kimpton reservation couldn't help me because they said I had to talk directly to the hotel staff to change it. And that I shouldn't worry if I couldn't get through before Nov 2 because they would understand. I was finally able to talk to their manager on duty on Saturday Nov 9th to explain the situation and rebook for the weekend Nov 9. He said he would change it for me and that I would be all set. To my surprise I called last night to confirm and was told by a different manager who was on duty that it hadn't been changed, and that it was showing up as a "No-Show" so I would have to rebook and pay again...because it was a pre-paid reservation!! It didn't matter that I was not able to make it because of the storm. I'm so upset with the level of service and the misinformation and the inability to honor my reservation that I have decided to write this review. Hope nobody else experiences something like what I did!
Too bad because I was a fan of Kimpton Hotels, but not anymore.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Zawawa,
We have sent you a message to call us ASAP if this is till unresolved as we think it has been, but can't be certain as we don't have your details. Look forward to hearing from you.

Been to Eventi - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!