“Great Stay In NY With Minor Quibble Quickly Dealt With” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eventi - a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Eventi - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Eventi - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   851 Avenue of the Americas (Sixth Avenue), New York City, NY 10001 (Chelsea)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Parking Package
Ranked #28 of 449 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hong Kong
“Great Stay In NY With Minor Quibble Quickly Dealt With”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed for nearly 2 weeks at the Eventi in early October. We have been to New York a few times and this was by far the best location we have stayed at. An easy taxi or walk to all locations and perfect for getting about.

We stayed in a King Deluxe City View which was great. We were meant to upgrade to a Suite but the room was so nice that we decided to avoid the hassle and requested to remain in the room. This is where my minor issue occurred. On check out the bill for the 2 night adjustment was huge...we also hadn't been told it would be assuming (probably wrongly) that the rate would remain the same as we had been paying. On the day the manager did try to help and reduce things a bit but I subsequently contacted them on my return and they were able to reduce things fully for us. It was wrong not to say the rate would change when we said we would stay but the way it was handled was superb and I would not hesitate to stay again.

Back to the hotel. The room was spacious and clean. The views were great and the service in the room (both room service and cleaning) was good. The lifts were a bit slow but we were there at the same time as a large French party who all seemed to leave at the same time. Certainly nothing to moan about as it was all good fun cramming into the lift!

What I do want to highlight above anything else is the fantastic and personalised service provided by one member of the front of house, Kevin Rountree. The trip to NY was planned so that I could propose to my girlfriend. Living in Hong Kong the logistics of doing this were tricky so I contacted the front desk a few weeks before to see if someone could help. That someone was Kevin who helped arrange EVERYTHING and most of it in his free time. He was even at the proposal location (a bookshop recommended by him) to set everything up on his morning off. Honestly cannot think of anywhere that has given such a personalised service and whilst we may have got lucky with Kevin specifically we could sense that the overall vibe was that people were there to help. Kevin though we have to thank you again and hope someone gives you a promotion for your efforts!

We would stay and perhaps even plan to do so again in 2013. Hotel is great and we highly recommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a view higher up
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerEventi, Manager at Eventi - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
jamestomaslong,
Hey we are so excited for you! And so thankful you spent your special days with us. Kevin has been ear to ear smiling after reading your praiseful review. Come and see us again!

1,928 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We recently stayed at the Eventi just a few short days after hurricane Sandy, and we absolutely had an amazing time during the challenging times that New York was facing. We were greeted by the General Manager himself - Robert - and he made us feel welcome immediately!

The room itself was a lovely oasis on the 17th floor, and we enjoyed the modern design. There is so much to see and quickly get food close by, and we always looked forward to coming back after being out on the town. It's so close to walk to everything - Macy's is 5 mins, and Times Square takes no time at all to walk, and there were lots of cabs around.

The breakfast buffet was delicious and we definitely raided the minibar, being Kimpton loyalty members.

All in all - we loved the weekend and can't wait to come back again! I most highly recommend the Eventi for what it offers and where it is located.

All in all - an amazing trip

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
chrisTO_09,
Thanks - the hurricane surely took alot out of this area and alot of folks still aren't doing as well as we are. Thanks so much for the thoughtful description of your visit. Its great to hear your room was like an oasis! We will even give Rob a high five for welcoming you appropriately. Hope to see more of you!
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

I was there for a wedding- the hotel is expensive, but definitely meets and exceeds expectations. Lovely experience. Staff was friendly and quickly repaired a mis charge with no hassle.
Great accessible shopping and a variety of great restaurants in the neighborhood!

• Stayed October 2012
liz B,
5 Stars! Thanks so much for the review. We hope the wedding was so much fun. C'Mon back and see us again soon.
Oakmont, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We spent a weekend at the Eventi while visiting our daughter. We were welcomed by a friendly, accomodating staff who arranged for our luggage to be stored due to an early arrival. Once we were checked in later, we found a sleek, European style hotel room (a bit small which is usual for NYC) with robes and slippers, flat screen TV, and all other amenities. The glass enclosed shower was convenient and clean. The hotel also boasts a spa, fitness center, restaurant and bar, and a veranda which looked spectacular, but which was closed due to cold weather. Complimentary wine was available from 5-6pm. The hotel is pet friendly, and was populated with a myriad of dogs (many of which we expected were pets of families displaced by Hurricane Sandy). All staff members greeted us warmly. We felt like welcomed guests. It is a bit pricey, however. We were fortunate to get a deal through a discount website. Check it out!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
bobalcorn5,
Who wouldn't love being called great? Thanks for the 5 star rating! We hope to be your home away from home whenever your travels bring you to NYC. Happy Holidays!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Bathroom was perfect, shower was great (good pressure, temperature control and a ledge for toiletries), mirror didn’t steam up and had a low light for night time usage.
Bedroom was fine, bit of an odd layout which included a mirror behind the bathroom door which couldn’t really be used, a badly lit mirror in the hall and no other mirror or sufficient lighting in the bedroom.
Housekeeping didn’t bother to service our room on the first day as we got up late, although on the second day they did at least leave a card informing us we needed to ask for the room to be made up at a later time. Also, they took the towels for washing even though we hung them up and let us run out of shower gel and toilet tissue by not replacing them regularly enough.
Location was good in the sense that most of the areas were walkable and close to Penn station and subway, but bear in mind the area it’s in is nothing special and nowhere particularly close for brunch or drinks.
We were looking forward to the excellent service they publicise, especially as it was our wedding anniversary and first time in New York, but the girl who checked us in was uninterested in our excitement and we got no thoughtful freebies. The doorman Doug gave us a welcome greeting every night as if he’d never seen us before which was funny at first and then annoying.
Let down by the service, but would still stay there again though as overall a decent room/bathroom/location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Barbara_C13,
Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, and happy (belated) anniversary. Glad to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you stateside here at Eventi in the coming months.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We were greeted with a smile at the Eventi and staff were very friendly and helpful, willing to go the extra mile if necessary. The hotel itself was very clean and tidy and if you sign up to be a Kimpton in touch member you get free internet. Restaurant food was good and rooms were lavish. For us it was a huge splash out to stay here as the nightly rate is quite expensive, but definitely worth it as transport is relatively close by and if you don't mind walking it's close to everywhere.

Room Tip: You have to pay extra to get a good room in the hotel. I would pay for a higher up room but don'...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Carly S,
Thanks so much for the review and thanks for the great ratings. We love to read that you were always greeted with a smile - smiles are contagious for sure! Come see us again soon!
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I was in New York on business for four days, then my husband joined me for two days of fun. The bed was comfy, the bathroom was clean, the room service was prompt, the view is lovely and the location is convenient to downtown and the theatre district. My only complaints would be with service. The reservation system is strange. When I made my original reservation, I got a great price, but when my husband's schedule worked out for him to join me and I called back to extend my stay, I was given two choices: I could cancel my whole reservation and book 6 continuous days at a MUCH higher rate or I could make a new reservation for the two additional days at a more reasonable rate but there was no guarantee that I would get to keep the same room? The woman who checked me at the front desk was courteous and very helpful, but subsequent visits to the front desk were always a crap shoot...would the staff be in a good enough mood to help me? The doormen don't try to remember you. The doorman that I tipped the first day when he brought in my bags, who greeted me the next day as if he remembered me, still hassled me for my room key the following night when I went to get into the elevator. The worst service had to do with housekeeping. The first two days, no one bothered me when the Do Not Disturb sign was up, and when I left the room around 11am on those days, I called Housekeeping and told them my room was available to clean. The third day, at around 10:30am, Housekeeping CALLED ME, saying the Do Not Disturb sign was up, did I want any towels? I would expect that in a cheap motel, but the prices here do not reflect a cheap motel. When I complained, instead of apologizing, the staff made excuses. There is no excuse for calling a room when the Do Not Disturb sign is up. There are nicer hotels for this price. I would probably not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
lilfoodiegirl,
Hey thanks for taking the time to write a review. Looks like some positives and some negatives in your recent stay with us. We hope to see you again and look to win you back.

Been to Eventi - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!