“Great place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eventi - a Kimpton Hotel

You added Eventi - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Eventi - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   851 Avenue of the Americas (Sixth Avenue), New York City, NY 10001 (Chelsea)   |
Hotel packages
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We arrived in the middle of the night and the Kimpton employees made us feel right at home. I stay at boring hotels all the time so when I get the chance to stay at a Kimpton, it's always a pleasure. I didn't want to check out the next day!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
  • Turkish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My wife and I tagged a short three day stay to a business trip and were not disappointed. The front of house staff were attentive at all times and very friendly. They were most apologetic that we arrived early and our room was not ready!! Not a problem as we could take a short walk up 6th.
The room was superb as on previous trips to NYC I had found the rooms very cramped. The views of The Empire State Building and down 6th were quite awesome. I particularly liked the very comfortable bed and pillows - quite the best hotel bed I have slept on.
I enjoyed being just that bit out of the hustle of Time Square.
I would recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed at the Eventi as part of a business trip. Like most NYC hotels it is expensive, but for the money it didn't quite live up to my expectations. The rooms are small by US standards and felt a little cramped. I kept knocking my legs against the bed due to the lack of space. The bed was comfortable, and had all the usual amenities including wifi. The staff were very friendly and helpful especially the porters. Did not eat at the hotel, and did not manage to take advantage of the free wine reception each night, but it was a nice touch that the hotel offered this.
The location of the hotel was good, near subways and just 5 minutes from the Empire State Building. Times Square is within walking distance - around 30 minutes away.
The strangest thing about this hotel was that the hotel bar shut at 10pm. I have never been anywhere with such an early closing time, and to find that hotel in a 24 hour a day kind of city such as New York was really surprising. It was disappointing not to be able to have a quick drink after being out for the evening.
Overall, it is a classy hotel - it just did not "wow" me as much as I was hoping or expecting.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My sister in law and I stayed at Eventi for a girls weekend in NYC. We had such a great time and the hotel was the foundation of fun. Not only did Patrick at the Front Desk greet us with a warm smile when we arrived early, he sent us a lovely bottle of wine and fruit as welcome gift! Kimpton hotels know how to provide an experience to their guests -- free WiFi for In Touch members, complimentary member upgrades, a hosted wine hour each night, and clean, comfortable accommodations. Everything was great -- the space was sufficient for 2 ladies, the bed was comfortable, the shower luxurious, and the entire staff welcomed you with a genuine smile and gentle demeanor. For us, the location was perfect. It was easy to get to the Subway and we felt safe coming and going by foot at night. Thanks for a great experience Eventi... especially my personal super star, Patrick!

Room Tip: Sign up for the Kimpton In Touch program -- you may be upgraded!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We picked this hotel after a very thorough research (I now know alllll NYC hotels!) based on the great reviews. I had previously stayed at the times square intercontinental which I had found to be very good but a little bland and impersonal. Eventi seemed to have more of a personality and better design (which it did!)

The staff is great and nice, however we made a request for a empire state view or at least a great view, but we got the back view which isn't particularly nice. Seeing as we made the booking quite a while in advance, I somehow figured they'd be able to accomodate us.

We brought our pet with us after having filled the pet registration form they require on their website in addition to emailing them prior to again specify we're bringing our pet. Upon arrival though, they claimed to not have received any notification of us bringing a pet. It wasn't a problem as they just had a bed sent up (like i say the staff is super nice).

The room: we had an executive suite. It's nice but like many pple had mentionned in their reviews, it does feels pretty small and cramped and a little dark. some of the wood on the floor is a little worn (scratches..) the bed is great though, but it's not a king. The bathroom is very nice.

Room service: lovely service, decent food.

Location: not bad, close enough to 34th st shopping, decent distance from times square...we are big walkers so it wasn't a problem for us.

Overall, we really did like it alot..but now that I've tried it, I think I'd go back to the intercontinental rather than this one (might be a bit more impersonal but the views are amazing, the windows are bigger, and the rooms feel airier and less cramped.)

Still, would I recommend this hotel to friends? yes, especially if you have a pet..it's really what sets them apart, you feel like your pet is welcomed and not just tolerated. so thumbs up to Eventi for that. :)

I have to say the slight disappointment probably stems from the fact that this hotel has such amazing reviews, better than many others, that I figured it would be nothing short of awesome. instead it was very good, not awesome...:) still a thumbs up to the wonderful staff. Maybe our experience would've been helped if we'd managed to get the room with the empire state view...ah well!

Room Tip: try and get a front street view as opposed to the back view, our view was nice on the 17th floor but...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed for a night a new weeks back. Wonderful service. Arrived quite late and was offered cocktails in the small lobby lounge which was much appreciated. Had an upgraded suite which was large for New York standards. Room was really nice and refined as expected. Did not manage to eat in the restaurant but it was not a Kimpton restaurant so had little interest anyway. Really nice location and would rate as one of the best in New York and personally I prefer to the Four Seasons. Only reason why I did not want to rate excellent was there being no lobby bar for food and drinks for those coming in late. Seemed Un New Yorkish. Love Kimpton Hotels though.

Room Tip: Stay high and off the street
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We traveled to New York as a family. We combined a little bit of business with leisure. One member of our party participated in a conference at a hotel 2 blocks away near Madison Square Garden. We chose to stay at the Eventi because there was a labour dispute at the hotel hosting the conference and we had also read about bed bugs at that particular property.

The staff was very polite and welcoming. The doormen handled our luggage with care and made sure we had an easy check-in. The lobby is small, but average by New York standards, but very lively and trendy.

Our suite was uniquely and tastefully decorated. Everything about the room was very nice, but small, understandable in Manhattan, but still small. The only thing that was spacious was the bathroom. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The sofa bed was great for the teenager.

Some downsides to the hotel were room service. Room service seemed slow. The staff was also slow to remove tables and trays from the room. The location was good for the conference, but the Garment District can be very gritty, even by New York standards. Trash piles up on side streets and most of the surrounding buildings are active warehouses. Lastly, the bathrooms in the suites feature a barn style door on sliders. This very heavy barn door became derailed and trapped two members of our party in the bathroom for several minutes, while the third member of our party was out of the room. Beauty and practicality must come together.

The hotel's pricing is about average for New York.

I recommend this hotel if this is your desired location.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Eventi - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!