“Great downtown hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #54 of 459 Hotels in New York City
los angeles
“Great downtown hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Great newer rooms. Nice contemporary decor. Very comfortable beds and technology. We were in a one bedroom suite with a bath and powder room. Our master bath had one sink though I noted some photos show rooms with two. Great shower, bath. Door on toilet but not on the actual room of the bathroom. Very open. Excellent light in the room b/c the windows are floor to ceiling. Staff is definitely distant and do not make an effort to know their guests. Location is on the edge of Soho. 3 block walk from great shopping, restaurants, etc and the real Soho experience. Not bad. We stayed during the Summer and so actually used the pool which we normally would not in NY. It was really nice to have to relax and read/ have a drink or coffee. The pool/ spa area is immaculate. They don't exactly jump to seat you or get you a towel for the chair even though there are lots of people working and watching who comes in and out. I saw this on multiple days. You had to ask them to do so, but once seated it is a lovely little spot. They have a great little bar next to it. Surprisingly this tiny poolside bar was a nice option for an after dinner drink in the hotel and we made use of it and were always surprised it was well utilized. (Open til midnight, though one night a big group came in and they stayed open longer.) Spa manager was super friendly and welcoming. Housekeeping was notably good and asked if you needed anything, seemed to care. Koi will open, but there was no real restaurant during our stay, just the library for breakfast which was adequate for our needs. Service really fell short in the concierge dept. during our stay in many different ways. We travel a great deal personally and professionally and got a sense that the concierges were not trained as such. They really fell short of our expectations for a NYC 5 star hotel. Not only did they not have info, they gave incorrect info. We stayed at the the hotel on the 4th of July and were told that all the shops in the area were closed. We noticed that people were coming in with all sorts of packages and went to the area we asked about. 100s of stores were open and in fact it was a big sale day. We tried to come up with a plan for the evening with another concierge. She was apologetic about the earlier mishaps and said the concierge prior had only been working in the area a week. She was very nice but didn't seem to know that we had a teen with us in the room (that should have been on the reservation and we were staying on a family package) and sent us to an 21 and older beautiful venue to see fireworks, so that didn't work out. I called to get info several times on various days at different times, and was put on hold far too often and too long. Also interesting is that before I got to the hotel they were super-responsive via email, just during the stay it was challenging. Other times the concierge and attaché both did not know what I was talking about when asked to describe a fairly major NY venue - Eataly, a huge amazing food market 25 blocks away is a good example. Just surprising, they cant know everything but that is not too obscure, I have heard of it and read about it on the West Coast and so wanted to check it out. We have stayed at the Mandarin, Setai, and Four Seasons. All have much more professional concierge staffs that we needed a much greater level of service from than we did this trip. It can make a huge difference in Manhattan. Toward the second half of my stay I stopped using the concierges much and used Menupages, Opentable and other internet sites which seemed to work out better for us, though takes some time. The other hotels we have stayed at were all much stronger in that dept, though the actual room at the Trump compares favorably. Location is a personal choice. Because I had a teen with me and was visiting a young adult I thought the downtown location was more casual and fun this trip. Loved being in Soho but the hotel was definitely a less polished experience in some ways. They make some basic mistakes at this hotel, which is too bad, b/c the property is nice, they seem to care when they do and you point it out, it would just be nice if they had their act a bit more together.They really need more front desk and concierge accessibility. Toward the end of a 10 nt stay I was told if I wanted a late check out to call the front dest the day I needed it, that it could not be prearranged. I called 5x between 9 and 1 and left 2 messages, could not get through to or get a call back from the front desk manager. I needed to know whether it was possible to structure my day. Sensing my frustration, the operator took action and worked it out. It was granted but could they not have done this on the first or second call? Trying to reach the concierge from outside the hotel, and sometimes even in was extremely challenging. I was put on very, very lengthy holds multiple times. Interestingly, the doormen were really great. We would return if I wanted specifically to be downtown and got a good rate. I did need to extend this trip and they were able to extend my stay in my room at a better rate which was effectively and upgrade. Very much appreciated. Beds are very comfortable but even with great new windows there is still loud traffic noise, even as high as the 17th floor. You are right near the entrance to the Holland Tunnel. Even coming in at 2 am it sounded like there were motorcycles outside frequently. That is the view side toward the water so that might be the tradeoff. Very tall hotel thought so try to get the highest floor.

Room Tip: First, the higher the better for noise reduction, then a river or city lights view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
TrumpNYCSoHo, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear tripindicular1

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We take our guest responses seriously and please know that we have taken the necessary actions to correct the issues you experienced. At your convenience, I would be happy to discuss your stay personally with you, and can be reached at GMaoberoi@trumphotels.com or 212-842-5527.

Andreas Oberoi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Trump Soho is a very well located hotel if you’re looking to escape the trappings of Midtown and experience the ‘real’ New York. For us, this was our second trip to NYC and we had already done all of the touristy things so wanted to see what downtown was like. We weren’t disappointed and Trump Soho is located close to all of the top bars and restaurants in this part of the city. There’s also a complimentary car that will take you within a short distance of the hotel if you want to travel in style.

In terms of our room, we had a great corner room on the 32nd floor with fantastic views of everything from the Empire State building to the Hudson River. The room was a little on the small side but it did have the world’s most comfortable bed!

The downsides, however, were a little too plentiful to make this the 5 star experience we expected…

Firstly, the air conditioning is woefully inadequate. We did stay during a record-breaking heatwave but for a 5 star deluxe room we expected a good air conditioner. As it was, even when we set it to the lowest temperature and highest fan setting, it was still an uncomfortable 24 degrees in the room.

Then there was the service. As a Trump Card Holder I had access to their much-lauded attaché service but they completely failed in the one thing I asked of them. The day before my partner’s birthday I asked if they could do anything to surprise him when we got back from dinner, like a little message, card or chocolates, for example. They offered to leave us cupcakes, which I was delighted about, but when we returned from dinner the next day there was nothing in my room at all. In a 5 star hotel at these prices I expected a lot more. Also, every time I tried to exchange traveller’s cheques on reception there was confusion, with one lady forgetting to ask me to sign them! Every time it took far longer than necessary. Finally, at the pool there is no shade at all and as someone who likes to sit outside but wants to look after my skin, I couldn’t bear the lack of cover. I ended up moving my sun lounger back into the shade slightly only to be chastised by the pool staff for spoiling the perfectly lined up loungers. Ridiculous!

This all said, I have to commend the door staff who were absolutely top class. Always smiling even when standing outside in 40 degree heat and incredibly helpful and attentive, they were the ones that made us smile every day. They were friendly, professional and just wonderful.

In all, I loved my trip to NYC but I wouldn’t return to Trump Soho.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear KellyAngelHeart

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I would be happy to discuss your stay personally with you, and can be reached at GMaoberoi@trumphotels.com or 212-842-5527. It would also be my pleasure to personally book your reservation directly for future accommodations.

Seymour, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We reserved a delux room and were upgraded at no cost to a corner suite. Loved it. The bed was to die for. Like sleeping in a cloud. The room was wonderful except for a strange, unpleasant smell coming from the minibar.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear Linda5560

Thank you for staying with us at the Trump SoHo. I am happy to hear that you loved your suite and enjoyed the comfort of our beds. I look forward to your return on your next trip to NYC.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I treated my husband to a quick NY "hotel getaway" (we live in Manhattan)...Upon my arrival, I was greeted by a gracious host who immediately gave my husband and me water (it was very hot outside). I told the front desk that it was my husband's birthday...We were given a beautiful room with the view of the Hudson River. We had a quick bite at bar/restaurant near the pool...the staff was so accomadating and they greeted my husband with some birthday Champagne...I treated my husband to a massage at the Spa...he enjoyed his massage very much and felt very special b/c he ended his spa treatment with some more champagne and mini birthday cupcakes...I felt that the staff went out of their way to make my husband feel very special on his very special day...It really makes a difference when you feel you are being taken care of...Thank you Trump Soho for making my husband feel very special!!! I will definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ebvnbv

Thank you for sharing your husband’s birthday experience at the Trump SoHo. I am pleased to hear that we helped to make his birthday a memorable one. I appreciate your kind words about our staff and look forward to welcoming you back to the Trump SoHo on your next “NY Getaway”.

Carlsbad, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The pluses: Very large (by NY standards) and well appointed room compared to others in area at the same price. Well stocked minibar, had microwave oven, bar sink and my favorite: a Nespresso machine. Great gym and lovely outdoor pool. Convenient location and very pleasant staff.

The minuses: Restaurant and bar were closed for renovation - not sure why for a new hotel. Card key didn't work. Had to haul luggage down to get new one - that didn't work either. Staff let me in and promised a new key which took two phone calls to get. Elevators are VERY slow.

All in all, I would stay here again over my previous favorite, 60 Thompson.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear MrVacation101

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Trump SoHo. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we are your new favorite hotel in NYC. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was a fine hotel but a tad overpriced in my opinion. The location is great, right next to the shopping in Soho. The room was nice, bed was beyond comfortable. There is no door on the bathroom which I found bizarre. I don't care how well you know someone, there are times you want privacy and not having a door on the bathroom is a mistake.

The pool is small but very nice and the patio area is great. I wish they had a better bar/lounge area to enjoy a nightcap. The small bar and inside space was not very comfortable and it closes early. The service was brutally slow.

Other than that, the staff was very friendly and helpful. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel - an omelette is $32. There is a nice little diner around the corner where I ordered an omelette for $7.00.

I would stay here again if I could find a find a deal, otherwise, its overpriced.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bathroom door.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Ekob

I appreciate you sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

From our warm welcome to our fond farewell, we were treated like queens. No request was too big and all were answered with "that would be my pleasure!". With the exception of one surely concierge, the staff and facilities at the Trump Soho exceeded all expectations. To quote my daughter, "The Trump Soho was a little piece of heaven. The bed was like a cloud, the pool and spa were luxurious and even the hair dryer amazing!" I think her favorite service was the "pillow menu". This was a graduation trip and the surprise of "Congratulation cupcakes", compliments of the hotel, was the icing on the cake!!

Awesome experience!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Dear Felicia c

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Trump SoHo. I am pleased to hear that we were able to help make your daughter’s graduation trip memorable and that she enjoyed our pillow menu. Please let me know if I can assist with any future arrangements. It would be my pleasure.

Andreas Oberoi

Been to Trump SoHo New York? Share your experiences!