“Gansevoort on Park Avenue, NYC - Wonderful!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC

Save Saved
You added Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC to your Saves list
Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   420 Park Avenue South, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Get 10% Off at Gansevoort
Ranked #58 of 451 hotels in New York City
Halifax, Canada
“Gansevoort on Park Avenue, NYC - Wonderful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

A business trip to the heart of one of the greatest cities on earth was made comfortable and convenient by the Gansevoort. One of the only hotels in the city with a roof top pool and very classy all around.
Check in was efficient and friendly and they stored my bags while my room was being prepped. A quick stop to the top floor and pool lounge resulted in a couple of drinks on the house, thank you!
The room itself was very spacious by city standards and all of the furnishings appeared new and all fixtures were sparkling. Very clean indeed, and I stay in a lot of hotels!
The room contains a lot of risqué objects, which I will not mention here, but suffice to say that the moms and dads may want to put a few things away before the kids run wild in the room.
The stand up balcony was a treat, and gave a great view. The roof top patio also provides a nice view.
The door and bell service are absolutely top notch and I was always greeted with an open door and a smile, which by all accounts was sincere.
I did not order and room service or use their restaurant, so no comment on these amenities.
I will make sure I stay here again when I return to the City, perhaps at their other hotel in the Meatpacking District. Not for the budget minded, at $500+ per night for the standard room on Park Avenue, but worth every penny in my opinion.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Gansevoort_HG, Digital Assistant at Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Brian H,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We’re happy to add comfort and fun to your business trip. Next time you head to the city, check out some of the renowned restaurants located nearby our hotel. If you want to try some local cuisine head to the popular Eataly in the nearby Flatiron District, for a plethora of seafood and meat options in addition to their famous Expresso bar. Of course our concierge team will be happy to point you towards even more options to check out during your free time! We hope to see you again.

1,086 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had a very good stay here at the end of June. Since many of the reviews regarding staying at the Gansevoort Park with children are framed as cautionary tales, I wanted to share our very positive experience.

We spent five nights here with our two elementary school age boys. We chose the hotel specifically for its outdoor pool and its location. After reading many of the reviews on this site, I contacted the hotel and asked that they give us a quiet room and to please ensure that the room was made "kid appropriate" for our arrival. Not only did the staff honor both of these requests but they also had beautiful HUGE cupcakes waiting for my boys when we arrived in the room.

The room - on the 14th floor, was well away from the elevator and we could not hear anything from the upstairs club. We did hear some street noise but that is nearly impossible to avoid in NYC. The furnishings quite frankly were one of the few disappointments of our whole stay. While aiming for an edgy look, the quality felt cheep (in fact one of our drawers was difficult to close once it was open) and the shower curtain detracted from what was otherwise a very nice bathroom. The beds were the smallest queens I've seen, but having said all of this, the room was just fine for our needs and certainly would not deter us from booking the hotel again.

I wanted to also write something about our experience with the pool as several contributors on this site complained that their family did not feel welcome. Our experience was quite different. Although there were not many kids staying at the hotel, our kids were never made to feel uncomfortable. We swam during both the quiet morning hours and the more boisterous afternoons and there was always at least one or two other children in the pool area. In the afternoons, the lifeguard handed out frozen Otter Pops which was a nice touch. Best of all, when my kids were flagging as we walked through the city in the afternoon heat, it was wonderful to have a nice pool to retreat to for an hour or two.

And finally, the location is great - especially if you are amenable to taking public transportation. There's a subway station and several bus stops just a block away, and we found many good restaurants in the neighborhood. Please note that if you do have kids, they ride free on the subway and busses (the rule of thumb seems to be if they are up to about four foot tall - give or take an inch - they are free).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear 49MileDriver,

Thank you for the detailed review. We are pleased to hear about your positive stay. Cupcakes are always a perk - and a wonderful start to a fantastic vacation! We’re glad your family made the most of the city as well as our rooftop pool. As you said, our location is ideal for visitors. Next time check out one of the Broadway shows followed by a stroll through the brilliant Times Square and a meal at one of Midtown’s renowned restaurants. We love John’s Pizza in the Theater District – it’s in an old church and serves mouth-watering slices. We hope you stay with us again!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Beautiful hotel, friendly staff apart from not fulfilling my request for early check in as I had arrived in NYC at 6am and requested a 10am check in, also didn't help that I had a long and ardous flight via Honolulu from Melbourne and it was 36 degrees that day. Great location however, it is quite a walk to 5th Avenue for all the great shopping but loved my room spacious and the bathroom was stunning and huge. The only frustrating aspect was that I went to have a drink by the pool and was turned away as it was a "Private Function" I found this a bit frustrating as I did choose the Ganservoort for it's rooftop pool deck. Otherwise beautiful and would stay here againeven though it was on the pricey side.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Narinikita,

Thank you for the review. We love having you and are glad you plan on returning in the future. Our location is very close to the Flatiron District where you can find a wide range of shopping and renowned restaurants. Stroll past Madison Square Park and find shops such as Kate Spade and MAC Cosmetics as well as popular dining spots like ABC Kitchen. During your next visit our concierge team will be sure to point you towards conveniently located destinations like these. As far as your experience on our rooftop, it’s open for guests most of the time, however we sincerely apologize that a private event prevented you from enjoying our pool area. Should you choose to stay with us again, we will ensure that all your needs and preferences are met if not exceeded. Again, thank you for the review and we hope to see you again soon!

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Gansevoort Park Ave for nine nights to celebrate my 40th birthday and after doing a lot of research, we're so pleased that we chose this hotel. Its location is brilliant - there is a subway station located right next door and you're only two stops from Grand Central Station, and a ten minute walk from pretty much everywhere (Times Square, Fifth Ave etc.). The rooms are beautifully presented, incredibly spacious and clean, the service is first class and I have never slept in a more comfortable hotel bed!

The hotel restaurant Asellina has a great atmosphere - the food is fabulous and reasonably priced. Furthermore, it seems to attract quite a lot of locals in the evening which is always a good sign. The rooftop bar is 'the place to be' (for locals and guests alike) and despite its party atmosphere, we didn't hear any noise at all from our room. Clearly, the hotel has gone to great lengths to ensure guests are not disturbed by the activity.

Thanks for a great experience, Gansevoort Park Avenue. We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: If you can stretch the budget a little, aim to book the Grand Deluxe Room. You won't be disappoi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sophie L,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We’re thrilled with your kind sentiments and overall happiness with your stay. Next time you visit, perhaps you will be interested in checking out the other restaurant in our hotel – The Windsor. It combines upscale American bar classics with Europe’s spirited social sensibility. The Truffle Grilled Cheese on brioche will leave you wanting more! Our concierge team can also point you towards other top restaurants as well as places to visit in the city that never sleeps. We look forward to seeing you again.

Best,

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I had the good luck of having my flight delayed and having my credit card travel insurance pay for my hotel stay - so I googled penthouse pool + hotel + manhatten and this hotel popped up! Otherwise, this hotel is out of my price range.

Overall, it was an amazing experience. The hotel itself is in a great location - Park Avenue. The building is gorgeous and everything from the lobby to the rooms is beatifully decorated. The room was stunning.
The pool is on the penthouse terrace with a view of the Empire state building - enough said! It was pretty awesome (except that by the time I arrived the thunder storm that delayed my flight also closed the pool - but they let me jump in! ). The rooftop is also a bar so it was filled with all kinds of wealthy Manhattonites in club wear lounging around the pool. The whole thing was an interesting experience.
The service was really good. The concierge was able to direct me to a great Thai restaurant that was open late at night and in my price range (Jai Ya Thai - it was really good).

So overall, for 350 a night and to have such a beautiful pool on a rooftop overlooking Mahnattan - I think this was really good value, especially when you consider how much you have to pay for a 3 star blah hotel, probably 200 or 250. So if it's in my pricerange, I will definitely stay again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear 8Chapel,

Thank you for the review. We’re delighted you landed on our doorstep and enjoyed every minute of your unexpected stay. Sometimes the best times aren’t planned. Rather than Googling dining spots in NYC, follow us on Citymaps for exclusive hotspots to try during your next visit. We’re minutes from the Flatiron District, which is full of renowned cuisines. If you want to splurge a little for a distinguished, farm-to-table dining option head to ABC Kitchen. Or, try its sister restaurant ABC Cocina for a similar experience with a Latin twist. We hope you stay with us again.

Best,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I stayed here for a night. The lobby is nice and has a nice chic ambiance. The room and the bathroom were pretty spacious shockingly. The service was exceptional from the moment we checked in. Jane was wonderful and super helpful with all the questions we had. When I encountered housekeeping in the hallway, they asked if I was ok and if I needed anything. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
Gansevoort_HG, Digital Assistant at Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Babya1218,

Thank you for the review. We’re glad you enjoyed the atmosphere and our quality service. Hopefully you made it up to our rooftop for a dip in the pool and a specialty cocktail. You can also have great food by the pool – the Proscuitto Melon Salad paired with a cold Bellini is a fresh summer treat. We look forward to your next visit!

GansevoortPark
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

It's like a small apartment! 11M even had a fireplace. It was nice but expensive (400$/night). At night, it was pretty loud outside. Someone was yelling. It's better to get a room without a view that's quiet.

• Stayed July 2013
Gansevoort_HG, Digital Assistant at Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Arthur T,

Thank you for the review. We’re glad the room size enhanced the enjoyment of your stay. We strive for the highest satisfaction in comfort for the ultimate home away from home experience. We hope you had a chance to visit our rooftop pool and bar – a popular summer spot to cool off and enjoy a spectacular view. It is unfortunate that an individual was yelling in the hallways disrupting your night. We do not condone such behavior in the hallways and have taken the appropriate measures to ensure it does not happen in the future. Should you choose to visit again, we are confident that your privacy and utmost needs are satisfied to your content. We hope to see you again in the future!

@GansevoortPark

Been to Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC? Share your experiences!