“Trendy upscale hotel in NY on Park” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC

You added Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC to your Saves list
Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   420 Park Avenue South, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #72 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston
“Trendy upscale hotel in NY on Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Very trendy hotel that many in NY come to just to see the lobby and have a drink at the attached restaurant. Rooms are very upscale and bed is super comfy. The windows actually OPEN in NY at this hotel! Something I was in LOVE with. I've stayed several times and once with a balcony room which was quite nice. The service is top notch and you'll feel like a VIP the minute you walk in. Great place to stay if you're looking for an upscale, trendy feel and are there for work or pleasure. The rooftop deck for a drink at night is great as well but it may be crowded.

Room Tip: With a balcony if available
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

I live in NYC, and I needed a place for 1 night, so I made arrangements to go to the Gansevoort Park Avenue, since they have a pool and its somewhat close to my house. As everyone knows, there are many many choices for hotels in NYC. One word summarized my experience...Wow! I was so excited about the Park Avenue Suite I rented, it was PERFECT in every way. The master bathroom was beautiful and functional, the powder room useful, the wrap around terrace a perfect surprise and the comfort beyond! I would suggest this hotel any day to anyone. There is a large "scene" at night at the hotel club, however, the room remained pin drop quiet, and, the security at the hotel made sure I had no issues coming and going whenever I wished. I sat by the pool for a little and looked at the empire state building; that's unique in NYC. Lots of pretty people too. I will stay here again soon, it was a truly memorable and perfect experience.

Room Tip: The web site is acccurate
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

We stayed on a Saturday evening in July. We chose this hotel because we have a child and there was an outdoor pool. What a scene - very crowded and the pool is really small. I can only imaging what the pool area is like in the evening. The staff was very helpful and did a good job of dealing with all of the people. One negative for us was my son dropped his french fries and we were charged for a second order. Rooms were large and well appointed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

We stayed for five nights and had no complaints at all. The rooms were quite large by NY standards and very well equipped - flat screen TV, IPOD docking station, free WiFi etc.

The gym is small but very well equipped.

The location is perfect with most central places convenient for walking but also close to the subway and many cabs in the area.

The pool and bar on the rooftop are very trendy with fabulous waitresses. It is a bit pricy but I think it's worth it.

Last but not least, the staff were super friendly and very helpful and I felt they played a big part in making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

For a weekend getaway, paid a little extra (395) for "Get It All" package -- includes bottle of wine, continental breakfast, a couple of drink coupons and late checkout. I was really only interested in the late check out, but this hotel really phoned it in on the package. They slipped me an envelope with two drink tickets in it at check in, and that was it. No wine. Charged me $59 for the continental breakfast (said it wasn't part of package, then said it was, then said i should have been given coupons, etc). Personally, i hate having to beg for things when i'm trying to relax. If you want to hang with Snookie in a 3-ft deep pool in a grim neighborhood, this is your spot. To me, Bowery Hotel blows this away.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Old Lyme, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We began staying at this hotel over a year ago when we came into town for business. I haven't stayed anywhere else since. Great staff that actually remembers us upon our return. We got upgraded to a suite on our last stay...absolutely fabulous. Love the roof top pool. Will be back soon.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed at The Gansevoort Park Avenue over New Years 2010-11. I was attending some concerts at MSG so i wanted to get something within walking distance that was Really nice. The rooms are beautiful. I had a 15th floor room with a balcony and was really impressed with it. The bathrooms are well designed and there was a nice ambiance about the room and hotel.
I do not like the fact that they use an off site service for Valet but i expect its kind of typical for new york city. My room seemed to be near the hospitality closet because on my second day there i was woken at 8 am by the slamming of a door every 45 seconds. Since the walls were thin it was sort of hard to sleep. I complained a few times very politely and the problem was not as bad the next day, but still an issue. not something i want to experience when paying over 1000 dollars for a room. But they had just opened, and i hope they have fixed the issue. I am sure not all rooms have this problem. I asked for a slight discount in my rate since i stayed there for four days, and did not receive it, so i will most likely not stay there again.
Other than the slamming door. My experience was exactly what i wanted out of a New York room. Although the pictures on the website for the room i reserved were actually pictures of the penthouse. i was happy with the room i got but still disappointed that they were not the pictures they had provided. i felt a little mislead but I had a fantastic experience. The room service was incredible, the food was really delicious. The rooftop was awesome, check it out.
Overall i would like to stay here again. the view up and down Park avenue was incredible and i really liked the staff and room service. Its just that slamming door. i sure hope they fixed it.

Room Tip: Ask for the Park Avenue View rooms. the higher you go the Better the view.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Been to Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC? Share your experiences!