“3 course tasting at SHO Excellnet !” 4 of 5 stars
Review of SHO Shaun Hergatt - CLOSED

SHO Shaun Hergatt
40 Broad Street 2nd Floor, The Setai, New York City, NY 10004 (Financial District)
Menu
Improve this listing
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: Exchange Place
Transit: J & Z trains to Broad St. 4 & 5 trains to Wall St (at Broadway). 1 or R to Rector St. (at Trinity), 2 & 3 at Wall St. (at William).
Description: The Exchange at the Setai Wall Street ushers in a new sensibility to The Financial District. While maintaining The Setai’s striking decor Executive Chef Josh Capone brings his hometown style of San Francisco based Contemporary American cuisine into play. Ingredients are locally sourced and seasonal. Flavors are bold yet balanced. The approachable menu now features both a la carte and prix fixe options for lunch and dinner. Our three course prix fixe menus are now priced at $28 for lunch and $42 for dinner. As an experienced baker his breads and focaccia are now made on premise. To finish a great experience desserts are now under the guidance of former Aureole alum Alise Ciucci. We look forward to welcoming you to The Exchange.
“3 course tasting at SHO Excellnet !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

To start we enjoyed the foie gras with truffles, you can't go wrong, then the octopus.
Next came the lobster with a curry sauce and the risotto and cured egg…both incredible.
Wine selection for this tasting was a crisp and robust 2004 Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte.
We paired our dessert with a 2007 Heidi Schrock. The wine sommelier was very helpful
with our selections it was a perfect way to complete our meal.

Overall this was a very pleasurable dinning experience

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Cairo, New York
“Sultry decor and succulent food in FiDi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Located on the 2nd level of The Setai, SHO Shaun Hergatt is a dark and sultry experience. Everything from the decor to the unusual fountain on the way to the dining room, to the wine racks says taste. We were there during restaurant weeks to experience a prix fixe meal for $35. Our wine for 4 was $70 and the wine list was solid, although the wine racks were unnervingly empty. They have a capacity for much more wine!
Their tasting menu was quite varied for such a three course short taste and price. Normally a 5 course tasting menu is $100 and $85 for four courses, so this is why we chose this during restaurant weeks.
I learned of a cooking process that I was unaware of: "sous vide". Sous Vide Organic Chicken with Pommes Purée – Brussels Sprouts, uses a slow cooking method with items vacuum sealed that originated in France. The chicken was indeed luscious. The barley risotto was superbly prepared and I love root veggies any day! Also reported as interesting and flavorsome was the Hand Made Cocoa Pappardelle with Torpedo Shallots and Wild Mushroom Ragout. The pasta was not as wide as Italian pappardelle, however the delicate cocoa flavor was savory.
Service was impeccable and four servers delivered each of the three courses. Impressive, too, when they explained each dish in the course.
It is obvious that being in the financial district they cater to expense accounts and luncheons as there were several large rooms for groups, and this weeknight there were many tables still unoccupied.
Finding SHO Shaun Hergatt was easy from the J or Z train. I came above ground right in front of the restaurant.
We had a drink at the bar and several financial types are obvious regulars and the cocktails had a good-sized pour and typical Manhattan prices.
I would love to go back and order from the full menu: Hudson Valley Foie Gras, Nova Scotia lobster, Three day Beef Cheek, to name a few. I would add that most of the menu items were fish related, so keep that in mind.
-David Allen

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City
“Not in the spirit of NYC's Restaurant Week Prix-Fixe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Restaurant Week's prix-fixe menus are either an excellent opportunity to sample the food of an expensive restaurant or they are traps for adventurous diners who hope for a glimpse of the usual fare but are served acceptable food without the passion offered to diners at the normal price. The latter is what happened to us at SHO Shaun. While their service was fine and the first course showed great promise, the remainder of the meal was lackluster when measured against my expectations - expectations I had developed from reading countless reviews of diners here. I'd go back to try the full priced menu, but I'll recommend skipping SHO Shaun for Restaurant Week.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Take your thermals”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Looking at all the other reviews it seems that I am an exception here. Although the food was on the whole good, they were, small portions as has already been pointed out, we sort of expected that as we were going for the 4 or 5 course menu. We took my daughter for a birthday treat as she really wanted to go there. It was a bitterly cold night last Friday when we went -5 so was looking forward to getting into the warmth. How wrong we were - the restaurant was freezing - we thought the air con was on and asked the waiter if he could turn it off but he advised it was not on. My daughter and I sat there shivering most of the time and have to say that we never warmed up until we got back into our hotel room.
Food - well, not cheap - $85 for four courses and $100 for 5. We decided to stick with 4 but when we ordered were told that we HAD to have a dessert with the 4 course choice (which none of us really wanted) so therefore had to forgo one of the other courses that we particularly wanted. Service was fine although there was a comedy moment when two waiters appeared at our table only to find there was no cutlery. They both did a quick swerve away from us with the food and hid in a doorway until the cutlery arrived, peaking out every now and then to see if it had. My choices were bad really as everything I selected was far to citrusy. There were additional items like the bread, different butters, amuse bouche and petit fours but for the price of the food and taking into consideration that we were obviously freezing cold and no one seemed to care, I would have to say that I wouldn't go here again. It was disappointing all around really, especially for a 2 Michelin star restaurant. We have had better meals in restaurants with no star rating. Spending almost $350 (after a 30% discount) for a meal for three people should have left us feeling the WOW factor instead of the chill factor.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Not what I expected for a Michelin starred restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

The atmosphere was ok - I liked how you could see the kitchen from the dining room - but it wasn't anything special. We were also sat at a bad table, when booths were available. Then the service was really bad. Our appetizers arrived before they had even managed to find our bottle of wine and pour us a glass - BIG No No. The food was really good but too rich - course after course had heavy creme and truffles. Too much. I live close by and was so excited to have this place nearby, but we won't be returning.

Visited October 2011