“it Suited the purpose” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mayor Hotel

Save Saved
You added Mayor Hotel to your Saves list
Mayor Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   79 Division Street, New York City, NY 10002 (Formerly America's Best Value Inn) (Chinatown)   |
Ranked #385 of 449 hotels in New York City
Dublin
“it Suited the purpose”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

Train is a problem very Noisy. Staff were pleasant and helpful The water problems seem to be sorted as everything was in order in Sept. Location is a subway ride away from Time Square.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

97 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

okay, you have already read the stuff about the very lousy location. So, here's the deal. It took 45 minutes to check in, because they couldn't figure out how to deal with our credit card and how to deal with their third party booker (we did book on the website). They told us there was no continental breakfast, only coffee and tea. The rooms are still gasing off from new furniture. But here's the worst part. They don't actually have mattresses. They have boxes with a half inch of quilting on top. Also, they have a water problem that they already know about. No water. We had to switch rooms to a lower room in order to get some water pressure. Then, leaving they tried to charge us twice. 45 minutes to check out. And they were so condescending, saying that I didn't understand how credit cards worked.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

I'm frequently in New York City so I've spent many nights in different hotels all around Manhattan. I am use to staying at hotels that run from $350-$600 a night. Due to a recent budget cut, my company booked me for a week stay at the Mayor Hotel. The rates at this hotel are the lowest I've seen in NYC and there are a few other hotels nearby (much older looking) that charge more. The hotel is fairly new; I was told it opened two months ago. And based on the appearance, design of the hotel, and the cleanliness of the lobby, rooms, hallways, and elevator, it's most likely true. The Front Desk staff members are knowledgeable of the area and answered all my questions in good manners. The rooms are a bit small but not much smaller than Four Points Sheraton in Chelsea which charge 2-3x as much. The B/DF subway stations are walking distance so it's very convenient for me to go to my meetings. The biggest con is that the Hotel is directly across the Manhattan Bridge where trains run by constantly. During the morning and afternoon, it does get pretty loud. At night, the trains run less frequently and it becomes more forgiving; at least to me. My room was cleaned everyday and although I did make two complaints to the general manager regarding certain things I disliked, she handled those issues very well and I didn't have a problem for the remaining of my stay. I did not run into any water issues during my entire stay (1wk) like others have. So I cannot comment on that. Overall, I think for the price, cleanliness, and convenience factor, I would give it 3 stars at least. I think since the hotel is still fairly new, some adjustments will have to be made; but it does seem to have a potential to be a 4 star Hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Madrid
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

A SHAME. OUTRAGEOUS. Staff was arrogant, unhelpful and unprofessional, except for the hotel manager. I have NEVER been treated like that in a hotel. The room did not have hot water, they totally ignored my complain and made me wait for hours until they gave us a new room.
The following day they gave that same room to a guest who complained about the same problem, obviously they never tried to fix it.
AC could not be turned off, but if we opened the window we could not get any sleep because of the noise.
Room was so small we could not walk around the bed without stumbling with our bags.
I WILL NEVER USE THIS HOTEL AGAIN.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Holland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

When we arrived everything looked good and comfortable. But after having spend 1 night we had some noticable disappointments:

- The subway passes by in the nights which can be disturbing ( we stayed more than a week so we got used to it)
- The shower tub is indeed very very poor, theres almost no water coming out of it. Taking a nice hot shower after a warm day is out of the mind. The staff crew cannot fix it either after informing them.
- The prices were pretty expensive: We could have booked more comfortable hotels for the same price.

Plusses are:
-Mostly friendly crew
-Hotel seems clean
-Good airconditioning
- Good location in southern manhattan (Soho, Chinatown, little italy etc.)

So if ur here for a short visit it might be worth a while cause of its good location but for a longer visit it might be better to book another hotel.

• Stayed August 2009
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

It is located in an a busy area of China town with a subway right above. When we heard the train go by every few min and walking into our room that had not been cleaned, we advised them we were not staying.!
There are so many other options of hotels in NY and this is not one of them.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
hondagm29
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

This hotel is very noisy..The train pass by every seconds..Plus there no way we could take hot shower because there no water coming up from the sink or bath tub..It was a night mare staying at this hotel...

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Mayor Hotel? Share your experiences!