“Bad” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mayor Hotel

You added Mayor Hotel to your Saves list
Mayor Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   79 Division Street, New York City, NY 10002 (Formerly America's Best Value Inn) (Chinatown)   |
Ranked #392 of 454 Hotels in New York City

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Moldy shower, hair everywhere in bathroom, they photo copy your credit card and ID and keep the info for 5 years (is that legal?), hard, uncomfortable beds, dirty under desk and nightstand, very basic cable- maybe 10 channels and you don't control your own heat/cooling. Lastly, don't plan on sleeping.... Train overhead runs all night.

• Stayed November 2012
Washington, D.C.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

The service was great- but the hotel is across the street from a very loud train, the rooms are tiny, the bed is hard, the sheets are stained and torn, the wallpaper in the room was torn and there was a big hole in the wall, and the price is way too much for the complete lack of quality. The breakfast is coffee with powdered creamer and cold Chinese pastries.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Noise from the streets, trains and from the rooms near you. Rooms are very small and need more than a shine up.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Most of these reviews are about right but you get what you pay for. My wife and I leave hotels at 9am and don't return until 9pm, so why pay for all sorts of facilities you never use? We ask for a clean bed, en suite bathroom and a wardrobe and that's what we got, you have to stay somewhere. If you are a very light sleeper then this is not for you, the trains over Manhattan Bridge do rumble but not loudly, it's like distant thunder and they a few and far between during 2200-0600. Breakfast is coffee/tea and a roll/bun take it back to your room. It is just less than a flat 400 yards to East Broadway subway, however the weather was nice so we walked to Seaport, Lower Manhattan and Little Italy etc. The staff are helpfull and sorted my new I Pad for me (the Apple server in the shop was down) however the Wi Fi is weak but workable. Chinatown, so what, it's a new experience, safe and very cheap food, look for the cleanliness sticker from the NY authority. May try Hotel 91, 50 yards away next time.

Room Tip: Difficult as the hotel is almost always full. It says something.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I several nights in the Mayor Hotel and will never stay again. I don't know how people gave this place 4 stars!

First off, it's located in Chinatown, which I personally am not a fan of. Nothing is in English, so something as simple as finding a store to buy a soda is difficult. I find that Chinatown is one of the dirtiest, smelliest parts of NYC. But if you don't care about that, it is a decent location in the Lower East Side. Just a short walk to some hotspots near Little Italy and a very short cab to SoHO and the Village.

But that was it for the good stuff. The standard room was 1 full size bed with about 1 foot of room around it, and a wardrobe. Which made it tight for 2 people. The bed, oh the bed was the deal breaker. It was like lying on plywood with a thin pad over it. I actually woke in pain from how hard it was. The pillows were decorative pillows that were flat with ruffled pillow cases on them, not real pillows. There is no temp control, the front desk controls the whole floor. So if you get hot or cold, too bad. It sits across from the Manhattan Bridge so it's loud, if you sleep light, bring earplugs.

I skipped on daily breakfast because it's in the basement with the washer/dryer and next to the linen room, and looked gross.

I will say the front desk staff during the weekday's was super friendly and helpful. The weekend staff however couldn't be bothered from Skyping to help me find a place to get coffee and soda's in the morning. I stood there for at least 5 minutes and she only looked up once and never attempted to help me.

Spend the extra $20 a night and go to a different hotel. You really do get what you pay for, there is a reason this hotel is so cheap.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lahaina, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Pros:

-Less than $200/night. Don't need to spend more than that especially if you're out most of the time exploring the city.
-Free simple breakfast 7am - 10 am. Baked goods, egg and ham sandwiches, bacon buns, cream filled pastries, croissants, coffee, and tea.
-Very friendly staff, especially those guys that work nights and early morning shifts.
-Location. Felt safe in Chinatown. Cheap restaurants/shops. 5-10 min. walk to E. Broadway (F) subway/metro station and 10-15 walk to Grand St. (B, D) station.
-Clean

Cons:

-Small room. Definitely the smallest room I've stayed in, and most of the time I've stayed in budget hotels that are less than $100/night.
-Hard bed with minimal padding. My bed at home is softer and more comfortable. However, I was able to sleep well. Then again, it was probably because I spent hours and hours walking around NYC, from morning until night.
-Located under Manhattan Bridge. There are traffic noises (trains and cars). Keep those windows closed.

Final Note:

I would definitely recommend this hotel. I enjoyed the location, probably because I'm Asian, but honestly, I felt safe in that area. The price was right and definitely cheaper than what I would've paid for in Times Square. If you're out most of the time exploring the city and just need a place to sleep at late nights and early mornings, this is a cheap place to be in Manhattan. A very big thanks to the staff for storing my luggage in the hotel as I spent my final day in NYC attending a Yankees game and spending more time exploring the city. I checked out (11 am) a day before my early morning flight, and asked the staff if they could store my luggage while I cruise through the city one last time. They said that they were okay with it and recommended that I take most of my valuables with me, which I did. My dirty laundry were the only items in my bags that I left at the hotel.

Once again, a big thanks to the Mayor Hotel staff! I would definitely stay there again.

-From the Guest at room 406, Sept. 15 to Sept. 20, 2012.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Mayor Hotel? Share your experiences!