“Excellence personified” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marea

Marea
240 Central Park South, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)
212.582.5100
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Marea is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #92 of 11,777 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Broadway
Transit: Marea is located near Columbus Circle, a hub for the A, B, C, D and 1 subways lines. One block east and one block south at 57th St. and 7th Ave guests may utilize either the N, Q, R, W subway lines.
Description: Marea Ristorante, located in one of Manhattans most storied addresses, features Chef Michael White's ode to Italian seafood. From his trademark handmade pastas to his fresh crudo and whole fish, Chef White is committed to reinventing the notion of seafood in New York.
New York City, New York
“Excellence personified”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Marea is a wonderful place for those appreciate fine Italian food and wine. Prepared with care and consideration, and served with elegance and finesse Marea Never pretentious, always low-key and understated, Marea pleases. Every bite seems to whisper, "Tornare presto." (Return soon.)

Visited November 2013

Danbury, Connecticut, United States
“ Unbelievable food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

This restaurant has the most amazing food. It is very unique and hard to describe! I ordered an eggplant dish for two and was surprised to have it come almost in a fried pouch. Yet it was absolutely delicious. I then had the scallops entrée which was heavenly. My colleagues all had a pasta dish. One had the signature octopus pasta dish which she said was amazing. The wait staff is fantastic and was always there to pick up a dropped napkin or replace a missing utensil. Our waitress knew everything about every dish and answered all of our questions. I was quite impressed.

Denver, Colorado
“Only One Negative”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

The food here is fabulous, as other reviewers have indicated, and you leave feeling as though you've had an excellent, special meal. I regret that I don't recall our waitresses name as she was so very kind and pleasant. The one negative...the hostesses upon our arrival were incredibly standoffish. No, we're not from "around here". Yes, we're wrapped in many layers trying to beat the frigid elements. The definition of hostess (which I'd encourage these ladies to look up) does not mind any of that and treats all guests graciously. They were so snooty that we almost walked out before we were seated. I'm very happy that we didn't and that is the only area I would suggest could use some work.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oakville, Canada
“Great fine dining choice for a special occasion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

We visited Marea on a recent Monday night and we were surprised to see the place that busy. Our hotel concierge recommended reservations for our post-show dinner (around 10:15pm). The restaurant is centrally located in South Central Park meters away from Columbus Circle. The decoration is very warm and inviting with a cool-funky bar area well isolated from the dining area. The tables are quite large, lots of round ones which are great for groups and quite away from each other which provides lots of privacy. The service is outstanding and you feel very special from the moment that you are shown to your table till you are greeted goodbye.
The menu is very sophisticated and full of seafood options.

I started with the Monte e Mare antipasti that consisted of a delicious warm pancetta pork combined with prawns, radish and greens prepared with a delightful apple/horseradish sauce. Simply sublime! My partner went for the grilled octopus salad which was also delicious. For main courses I chose the Dover Sole and my partner the Branzino. In both cases the fish was super fresh, meaty and very tasty; you can tell by the quality of it that this is not farmed fish but wild fish. We accompanied our mains with three side orders of Brussels Sprouts with pancetta, Wild Mushrooms and Arugula greens with lemon; all magnificent and delicately cooked; worth mentioning the incredible taste of the mushrooms.
The wine list is very complete but pricey; difficult to find anything below $200 a bottle. I found the sommelier a little stiff and unhelpful.
This is not a cheap restaurant by any stretch but worth considering when you want to impress your partner or please a special guest.
My partner and I were very satisfied with the experience

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Last Visit was a Disappointment ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

As always the service was outstanding, with the professional and cordial qualities the waiters have. The lobster appetizer was great and has always been my favorite. I ordered the pasta with clams and only had ONE clam on the plate and had an obscene amount of garlic (counted 20 almost raw slices of garlic in the plate). Felt I was cheated and would recommend the chef to be a bit more generous with the clams and be moderate with the garlic.