“Just about Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marea

Marea
240 Central Park South, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)
212.582.5100
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Marea is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #93 of 11,751 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Broadway
Transit: Marea is located near Columbus Circle, a hub for the A, B, C, D and 1 subways lines. One block east and one block south at 57th St. and 7th Ave guests may utilize either the N, Q, R, W subway lines.
Description: Marea Ristorante, located in one of Manhattans most storied addresses, features Chef Michael White's ode to Italian seafood. From his trademark handmade pastas to his fresh crudo and whole fish, Chef White is committed to reinventing the notion of seafood in New York.
New York City, New York
“Just about Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

A surpisingly lively and noisy restaurant and the food is really delicious, especially the pastas and of course the seafood. The services was professional, but not overly friendly, and there was a small misstep in getting a sommelier to our table, but the quality of consistency of the food made up for it. However, there was some magic missing and I am not sure I can articulate exactly what it was. An excellent dinner, but something lacking that did not qualify this for one of the best meals that i have ever had.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Manila
“Michelin star?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Had dinner here with high expectations. Food was just ok nothing spectacular. Had the Monkfish and it was more a quarter of a filet. My 2 companions had the sea urchin pasta which was totally undetectable as the tomato sauce ragu' overpowered whatever subtle flavor there is. Disappointed.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Estero, Florida
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We had the pleasure of eating at the Marea during our visit to New York in August. It was fabulous , food , service , wine selection and ambience. It's a must !!!! Can't wait to return .

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“Excellent & I mean Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

One of the best restaurant experiences I have ever had. I am fortunate enough to have eaten in some wonderful places, and am slightly ashamed to admit that often I am unimpressed!
My wife booked us a table at Marea as someone had told her that it is good. Upon arriving at the restaurant we were shown to our table towards the back of the restaurant. My first impression was that the table was a little cramped, but nothing that I would have been too concerned about.
The server (I really wish I knew his name) introduced himself and straight away was incredibly likeable. (He was an older chap, very well mannered, but humorous and approachable with it) - The server knew the menu really well and was happy to offer his advice when asked for it. After some mind-changing, I settled on half a dozen Oysters, Pasta with Shrimp, Steak, and Pistachio and Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate cake. All of the food was perfect! I do not like huge Oysters, and as their were 6 different types of Oysters on the menu (along with a great server) I could order Oysters which were Perfect. The seafood salad was tasty with lots of flavor and plenty of seafood. Pasta was the nicest homemade pasta ever, and the steak was cooked to perfection! I was actually very full by the time I had eaten the Steak, and only ordered a desert as my wife ordered one, and I thought if hers is great I might regret not having one. Again, my desert was perfect and although I was full I could have eaten it all over again! I cannot remember exactly how much this meal cost, but I remember that I thought it was great value for money. If you are in NYC please try Marea! I will definitely be going back when we are next in New York. (I will ask for the same server too, and will remember his name next time) Really, a fantastic restaurant experience. Server, food and atmosphere all perfect. And all at a reasonable price! - I need to get some lunch after thinking about that meal :)

Visited August 2013
New York City, New York, Usa
“Michelin and Me”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Second dinner visit for me, this time with my partner as gift card guests of a dear friend.

One appreciates a room such as this that is designed to be background. This late 20th Century Modern space is just that. Stemware, flatware, plates, seats, richly textured table coverings are perfect and attention paid to sound attenuation in this large space make for a subdued and superb dining enviornment.

We, jacketed of course, along with a five-figure Rolex, Chanel accessories and a $600 bottle of wine at the next table made for an odd mix with more than a few jacket-free males, some in jeans, scattered about and a nearby table composed of several tee-shirts and flashing camera phones, this latter group perhaps having searched in vain for the late, proximate Tavern on the Green and ending up here. The door greeters may well become better gate keepers as, at these prices and with this restaurant's presumed intents, so much depends upon maintaining a high overall level of dining environment. And, two disrupting episodes of dropped and crashed glasses suggested the possibility of staff training issues or, perhaps, stress.

That said, our wait person was professional, articulate and reserved, in a word superb, as were the two sommeliers who visited and the several servers who delivered the correct selections (except for one desert) to the correct seats, and with proper timing between courses. Our Veneto wine selection was made without assistance and was simply perfect. One appreciated the sommelier's unreserved "I love it" upon hearing the order and with no push back, just as it should be, unless of course some gross faux has been committed.

As for the food, our apps of octopus and stuffed calamari were in my partner's words, "crazy good", totally exceptional. His main of scallops, his preferred dish wherever, unfortunately registered only a seven on his experiential scale of ten; and my fusilli in an octopus ragu (the house specialty pasta, according to our wait person) was overbearing in flavor and richness as well as a bit oily, so I would have to score it a six or seven on the same scale. My focaccia bread was similarly overly drenched in olive oil, hardly needing any additional on its plate.

We recalled the next day that there were no amuses bouches offered between courses, rather odd in our dining experiences at this level. Perhaps there was too much going on in the kitchen or dining room.

In any event our overall very nice experience at Marea brought to mind a couple of one-star Michelin restaurants where we have dined in the recent past and we considered that based upon this, those restaurants may well be more appropriately rated at Marea's level with two stars, or Marea be rated with just one.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere