“Perfection” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marea

Marea
240 Central Park South, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)
212.582.5100
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Marea is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #78 of 11,180 Restaurants in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Broadway
Transit: Marea is located near Columbus Circle, a hub for the A, B, C, D and 1 subways lines. One block east and one block south at 57th St. and 7th Ave guests may utilize either the N, Q, R, W subway lines.
Description: Marea Ristorante, located in one of Manhattans most storied addresses, features Chef Michael White's ode to Italian seafood. From his trademark handmade pastas to his fresh crudo and whole fish, Chef White is committed to reinventing the notion of seafood in New York.
Reston, Virginia
“Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Marea NYC was truly one of the best restaurants I’ve ever visited. The service and food were superior and we could not have asked for a better evening.

The exceptional service began when we arrived and the host somehow knew we had an 8pm curtain call. From there we ordered drinks and asked to speak to the very knowledgeable sommelier. The wine connoisseur worked with me to pick out a lovely 1er cru meursault that was everything we hoped for and more.

As for dinner itself – we started with the best risotto (it was an entrée that we split as an appetizer) I’ve ever experienced in my life. The truffle/mushroom risotto had the perfect consistency, was full of huge truffle flavor and the portion size was quite generous considering the price point. For our second appetizer, I had the octopus which was tender beyond belief and the accompanying sauce only added to its magic.

For the entrees we had the Dover sole and scallops, both extremely fresh. Because sole doesn’t exactly warrant a complicated sauce, the fish has to speak for itself with little help from other ingredients or flavors. To my delight, the sole was cooked perfectly with a nice firm texture and a side of light lemon butter sauce. The portion size was impressive and I feel it was a very reasonable price. The scallops were also cooked perfectly and the fine details in the dish did not go unnoticed (e.g. the adorable/undersized mushrooms).

Just for comparison, we dined at Le Bernadin the night before and I can’t express how much more we enjoyed Marea. While Eric Ripert’s establishment makes you feel as if you are doing him a favor to eat there, Marea’s staff is the complete opposite in that their hospitality makes everyone feel comfortable and relaxed.
Long story short, we cannot wait to return to Marea!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Still hungry”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We came with high expectations,the setting was very pleasant with the view of Central Park South.Service was OK.Wine list was huge and expensive with emphasis on Italian wines.
Of course the food was what we came for.
We had the Lunch tasting Menu which includes 4 dishes plus dessert and emphasizes seafood.
The first dish included three tiny bites of very good rawfish but looked more like an amuse bouche than a dish.
The second dish included small pieces of lobster and did not occupy more than half of the plate.
The pasta dish was good but you needed a magnifier to find the crab that was supposed to be there.
Only the last dish(sea scallops) and the dessert represented normal sized portions.
Altogether we were still hungry and you would not expect to be after such a meal for $80 a person.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“A solid 4.5 - astice and pastas are a must!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Service:
Came to lunch with a friend on a Thursday afternoon. We arrived about 20 minutes early but were seated immediately. Our main server greeted us promptly and was very courteous in giving her recommendations on several dishes. She checked in with us throughout the meal (as if our murmurs of "mmm, this is so good" wasn't affirmation enough!)
The water glasses were constantly being refilled and dishes cleared in a timely manner. However, there was one server who brought out the entrees - he just quickly mumbled what each plate was and walked away.

Decor:
Lacquered wood surfaces and silvered seashells dot the window ledges - akin to the insides of a swanky yacht. Could be loud at times but not so much that it was difficult to carry a conversation with my dining partner. I found that the banquette seating was ok but not firm or supportive enough for me. We were seated by the silverware station and weren't too bothered by the constant flow of servers/busboys.

Food:
Astice - amazing chilled lobster complemented with the creamy burrata. The tomatoes and eggplant added a hint of tartness that enhanced the whole dish. Such a unique combo and definitely worth the supplement.

Fusilli - it's definitely worth the hype. Braised octopus was tender and not rubbery. Perfectly al dente pasta in a rich tomato based sauce with marrow chunks. Very rich and filling.

Garganelli - oh my… this dish was excellent! From the few bites I had tasted from my friend's dish, I really enjoyed it; thought it was slightly better than the fusilli. It was lighter tasting with crab throughout. The sauce was amazing. I would not hesitate to order that in the future.

Panna cotta - wow, wow, wow. Thick, creamy and speckled with vanilla beans. A thin layer of almonds added a nice crunch. The tart cherry granita helped cut through the sweetness. Topped off with sweet cherry quarters and amaretti "kisses". At this point, I was stuffed but I would've ordered another!

Trio of gelato - Vanilla bean, dark chocolate and white espresso. Served atop beds of crushed nuts/cookie crumbles. Only tasted a bit of the espresso and it was quite lovely.

Mignardises - little tasty bites of heaven. Choux pastry puffs filled with hazelnut mousse that just melted in your mouth.

Overall a great experience. A little pricey for lunch but the meal was fantastic and we literally rolled out the door. A solid 4.5 stars.

• Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“Marea on Central Park South---Terrific, expensive.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

George is matre'd. Important. Food is terrific and $ costly... I like sitting in the back... :) ... Thank you! ...

• Visited July 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Happy I went here! Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I think Marea is one of my favorite restaurant now in NYC. The food is amazing. Service was fantastic!

Visited August 2013