“Food is very good but service is cold and impersonal!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marea

Marea
240 Central Park South, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)
212.582.5100
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Marea is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 11,776 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Broadway
Transit: Marea is located near Columbus Circle, a hub for the A, B, C, D and 1 subways lines. One block east and one block south at 57th St. and 7th Ave guests may utilize either the N, Q, R, W subway lines.
Description: Marea Ristorante, located in one of Manhattans most storied addresses, features Chef Michael White's ode to Italian seafood. From his trademark handmade pastas to his fresh crudo and whole fish, Chef White is committed to reinventing the notion of seafood in New York.
Miami, Florida
“Food is very good but service is cold and impersonal!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We started with the Panzerotti. Then, one of us had the Polipo as appetizer. For entrée we ordered the Seafood risotti and the Gnochetti. Those were all very good. For dessert, we ordered the Semifreddo di Nociolla which was disappointing. We would return but we would appreciate some more courtesy and a few smiles from the staff next time.

Visited March 2013

New York
“Super meal; lost credit card”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Superb food. One waitress who was not our server just appeared from nowhere to get our check, and came back saying there was no credit card inside the fold-out. But I couldn't find my Amex in my wallet, which I know I had slipped into the bill. Was sure she must have lost it, but no effort from staff to look for it. Two hours later they called and found the card....An inconvenience.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston
“Great Seafood and Pasta”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Don't laugh--but this place is a steal by NYC standards. There is a fixed price three course dinner @ $99--cheap by NYC standards. The sommelier picked out an amazing 100 bottle of white wine for us (again, cheap by NYC standards). And we had a multi-starred Michelin dinner with service that was perfect for the price of what a mediocre meal would be in many cities. WOW!

Visited May 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Marea: Beautiful Food, Service, Location and People”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I LOVE Marea! This was the 5th time I have eaten at the restaurant and each time, the quality of the food and service has remained consistently wonderful. Located on swanky Central Park South in the heart of Manhattan, Marea caters to locals and tourists alike. There is adequate space between tables, which is a luxury in NYC. However, I always find that the people sitting near me are interesting to talk to and I'm always surprised at how many local regulars this place has. The ambience is sophisticated but friendly and relaxed and it's always fun to talk with fellow foodies. The specialty, of course, is seafood and they do it exceedingly well. They are wonderfully accommodating to special needs. As an example, I really need to eat a green salad at dinner and there wasn't one on the menu-- but it was absolutely no problem for them to make me one upon request--and it was delicious with a beautiful dressing. They are great about providing half portions so that you can try more menu items, particularly when it comes to their pasta dishes and risotti. The pasta is fresh, house made and delectable and the fresh fish is always an excellent choice. Desserts are also terrific. If you are looking for a high quality experience in the middle of New York City, you will not be disappointed with Marea.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Tidal wave”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

It is the attention to detail which must be the key to the production of these exquisite courses. After a fino sherry and a cocktail, the starters of raw and exotic white fish for my wife and Nova Scotia lobster for me were a delicious start. We chose as main courses plump and fabulous scallops with almonds, peeled grapes and sauce combined perfectly for my wife while I ate Turbot which was cooked to perfection. Everything was expertly assembled, delivered and collected. We chose an American Chardonnay with a beautiful buttery nose, Les Noisetiers from Kistler to support the seafood. The Afogato which finished was again up to the standard which characterised the entire meal experience. It well justifies its 2 Michelin stars and would probably score a third on food quality alone. Patrons are packed in a bit with successive sittings.

• Visited June 2013