“Book it!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 452 hotels in New York City
Florida
“Book it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

If you are having any doubts, don't. This a great manhattan hotel and this is coming from someone who travels to NYC regularly and has stayed at several different hotels. The location is great. A block and a half from Times Square. That being said, you are not in the middle of the chaos of Time Square which was mandatory for me. We booked one of the two bedroom suites which is perfect for a family. Two rooms, one shared living room with a sofa bed and one bathroom. Here are the pros/cons:

Pros: Location is amazing. A couple of blocks to almost any subway line in the city. Any foodies out there? You will love this place. On restaurant row in Hell's Kitchen. The rooms were very clean which is always the most important thing to me. I mean really, really clean. Very large balcony with a great view of the city. The beds were comfy and the free continental breakfast was good. The room was spacious as far as Manhattan goes. The staff overall was extremely attentive. See more in cons regarding a few issues we had.

Cons: Saturday night we could hear a bit of the noise from the bars. Not the hotel's fault, but something to consider. The rest of the nights we didn't hear much. We had a few other odd issues here and there 1) none of the remote controls worked initially in our room, but as soon as we told the front desk they come up with new ones 2) only one t.v. out of the three had all the cable channels advertised in the list of channels provided by the hotel. We reported this issue, but it was never resolved. 3) we had a strange noise coming from the pipes behind our restroom. This issue was resolved by the front desk and the staff was very apologetic and accommodating. John at the front desk is great!

Overall, our stay was great and we will definitely be back!!! I agonized over the right hotel to book since i was traveling with family and a 5 year old, I made the right choice!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

599 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Location: this hotel is on the 46th street, which is also called the restaurant row of Manhattan. It's around 2-5 minutes walk from the Times Square, but far enough to be away from the crowds. All of our city sightseeing tours could be accessed from here easily by foot so we found the location excellent.
Rooms: the rooms are clean, nicely furnished, with stylish decoration and pefectly working equipment (including fridge, kitchen sink, coffee machine with coffee and hot chocolate, ipod docker, hair dryer; dvd player, etc.). A home away from home practically.
Service: all of the staff members we met were very friendly and helpful all the time. The reception has a good selection of NY themed DVDs which they are happy to borrow you. We also got fresh newspapers and local tips each morning delivered to our room. Upon arrival we got immediately upgraded to a better type of room (king suite I believe it was) simply because it was available (certainly free of charge). Oh, and the breakfast was also fresh and a wide selection each day!
Cons: I was certainly also wondering, what could be the problem with this hotel then? The only issue that we found was the fact that it is located right on the top of a bar&restaurant (called Bourbon). This would mainly affect the rooms on the first floor, looking to the street - so I would suggest you to avoid threse rooms. The hotel has 3 floors, and on the first floor the following ones will be the good ones: 104, 105, 106 (these are still above the bar but not looking on the bar entrance on the street). If possible, book a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor instead, not looking on the street.
Overall: one of the best hotels on our US trip! Great service! We can only suggest this hotel!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Bluffton, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I booked this based on Trip Advisor reviews and I was not disappointed. Arriving early I was welcomed warmly. Monica at the front desk was very friendly and extremely helpful. I was escorted to my room once I'd checked in, shown the conveniences in my room then shown around the small...boutique style hotel. My particular room was "over the bar" and had a queen sized bed, TV, kitchenette which included a Keurig and an assortment of coffees, a built in hotplate and a small refrigerator and sink. The refrigerator had free bottled water and a couple of drinks which were supposed to be magic hangover potions haha. The room also had an ironing board, iron and blow dryer. The personal products provided were L'occitain. This location is about a block and a half from Times Square....close enough to walk yet far enough away from the constant crowds. Located in the heart of Restaurant Row, there were plenty of places to enjoy dinner. Kinky Boots theater is around the corner on 45th and Wicked was just a couple of blocks away. This location is absolutely perfect! I will say though, I was concerned about being over the bar and noise but didn't see anything on TA about that...if you are booking this particular room be aware that you will hear the music (especially over the weekend) from Bourbon St until about 3AM. I was so tired when I got in each night that it really didn't bother me but I thought this might be helpful information to you.

Lastly, since I flew in to JFK to save money, a taxi to mid-town this location is about $50+. The day I left Monica (at the front desk) wrote out step by step directions on how to take the subway and Air Trans to JFK which ended up costing me $7.50 rather than the $50+. She went over the directions a couple of times, then wrote them down and made sure I had her business card with telephone number in case I had any questions .... I felt like she went above and beyond to try to help me save money...I thank you Monica I made it :)

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will book it again my next trip!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

With due thanks to Trip Advisor ,I booked these apartments .,
I stayed 7 nights at the end of February and each one spent here was a pleasure
So much so that no review does it total justice .
The desk staff are the best, so friendly ,helpful,attentive and just so professional,
Likewise for the fabulous Bourbon Street Bar next door.
The rooms are spacious clean and very well serviced.
A little New York noise was audible on night one but after that it was that N Y buzz only .
Location amazing so central, just minutes from Time Square
Thank you one and all .
Marian Gallen
Derry N Ireland

Room Tip: Trust the desk team the are very good at meeting your needs.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

This little gem of a hotel, tucked away in the heart of New York was a perfect stay for one night in New York. Celebrating my wife's 30th birthday, it had enough about it to make it feel special without breaking the bank!

Very warm decor, clean facilities and welcoming staff.

One night has had us craving for more and definitely will be back in the future!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SURREY, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Last year I stayed at the New Yorker but wanted to find a more "boutique" place this time for my 2nd visit with Hubbie. I booked this purely on the previous reviews of TripAdvisor and was not disappointed. It was easy to find and we were quickly booked in by reception and given the choice of two rooms. One in the main building above the Bourbon grille or in the Townhouse (rm: 307) which might be slightly quieter (as requested) so we went for the Townhouse. All our luggage was promptly carried up and on entering the room we were very pleasantly surprised. Two HUGE queen beds, lovely furnishings, fridge, coffee maker and spotless bathroom with large shower. I'm a bit fussy when it comes to dusty rooms but there was nothing to complain of here! Continential breakfast was served in the Mezzanine which consisted of eggs, a variety of breads and bagels, cereals, yoghurts, pastries, muffins etc... with plenty of tea, coffee and juices so was more than enough to kick start a long day on the tourist trail. At the end of our trip, we had bought enough clothing that we had to buy an extra suitcase to take it all back in and Niall (reception) even offered to help wheel it down with us to the Port Authority to get the transit back! We did manage between us in the end but the staff could not have been more helpful, the location was very close to Times Square and the subway and we didn't experience any noise throughout our stay.
I will be returning later on this year and already looking at dates to re-book.....you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have less noise and if you have the budget, go for one of the self-catering s...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I recently stayed at The French Quarters for two nights on a business trip to NYC. This was my second stay here, and I was delighted to be back. It had the same cozy feeling (more like a private apartment than an impersonal hotel), excellent staff at the front desk and neighboring restaurant (Bourbon Street Bar and Grille), and great proximity to so much of what New York City has to offer for business or pleasure. My room was spotless and all of the carpets, furnishings, decor and linens are well-maintained. On several business trips, I have faced issues with spotty wi-fi, but I have never had that problem here. I also had the chance to order room service from Bourbon Street Grille and really enjoyed my dinner. During this visit, I contended with challenging weather, but my hosts made everything as convenient as possible for me, from providing me with tips on how the trains were running to making sure I had an umbrella. I highly recommend The French Quarters and I look forward to staying here again soon.

Room Tip: Both rooms I had were comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to The French Quarters Guest Apartments? Share your experiences!