“Superb Location, Helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars

You added Radio City Apartments to your Saves list
Radio City Apartments
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   142 West 49th Street, New York City, NY 10019   |
Wicklow
“Superb Location, Helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

This was our 2nd time staying here and had queen studio on 3rd floor facing main street and we were expecting it to be noisy but slept solidly every night, even though studio small, for New York sizes and prices very good value, Room was hot but left bathroom window open, towels good quality, Staff very helpful and more than happy to help with all out annoying questions, Would stay here again, Toasties downstairs very good, seconds from subway and minuteswalk from Times Square

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Bagshot
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights Nov 19 & 20 2013 in a studio on floor 9 & paid $540!!!!! What a complete rip off but you pay for location and free wi-fi, I guess. Horribly small room, no bath only a fixed head shower and grotty toilet but at least it was all clean and hygienic (although the following day's housekeeping was terrible, the lumpy, uncomfortable queen sized bed's linen simply pulled together, shower unclean, no vacuuming, but at least the towels were replaced). The fridge was silent, thank goodness, but the view was an unmitigated disaster - dirty rooftops and office drones. Not really the Big Apple experience, more the wormy pip. And two tiny lifts for the whole place which were always full of maids with bags and bags of laundry or rubbish. Waited 20 minutes to get a lift for check-out!!! The front desk were friendly and allowed us an extra hour but their attitude was at best casual; you felt everything was just too much trouble. And the promised guest laundry in the ad? Doesn't seem to exist and as it was the only reason I opted for this property I was upset in the extreme. All in all a real soul destroyer, and I wish to goodness we hadn't stayed there. New York must have better places. (Probably even the YMCA!). The class of guest was surprisingly up market, perhaps all of New York is a similar rip-off and this was the best of a very bad lot? I don't know, and never will as I don't intend to set foot in the place again. Even the taxi driver overcharged us phenomenally but that was our own fault for using the same one twice! New Yorkers in General seem pleasant, polite and friendly, and we met some really lovely Irish and English people but the street hawkers were a nightmare especially the 'musical' boys and their blank CDs.
I have not read other reviews as I did not want them to colour my own; however this is just my personal opinion and if there are more favourable reviews out there then I am willing to stand corrected but I hated the place and am not afraid to say 'don't bother, try somewhere else. Anywhere!'

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Prime location for Times Square and Broadway. Rooms were clean with plenty of space. The kitchenette was a helpful bonus. Staff were kind and responsive to requests. Would definitely stay here again. Subway was close by but many sites were within walking distance. Elevator was on the slow side but not the worst. WiFi was nice to have. Lobby & elevator & hallways as well as units were neat and clean. Door lock took some figuring but quickly mastered. All in all these apartments were ideal and centrally located for a tourist in town. We forgot a basic or two but it was quickly remedied by housekeeping. We would return each day to find a great job done by housekeeping. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom apartments worked great for our group!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Radio City Apartments are convenient and spacious (rare in NYC) quite tired. Location is excellent - as they are close to Times Square and 5th Avenue. You will have a kitchenette - which might be an advantage for some (I hate cooking for myself on holidays).
TRAVELLERS SPENDING NEW YEARS EVE THERE - BEWARE! Last year we went to NYC for NYE and NOBODY IN THE HOTEL TOLD AS, THAT THE STREETS WILL BE CLOSED BY POLICE AND THAT YOU WILL HAVE DIFFICULTIES IN RETURNING TO YOUR HOTEL!
They should give us a paper with a statement that we are hotel residents. Without such a paper you might have difficulties getting back to your hotel. We had a Hornblower Yacht booked and at 5.pm we could not get through police to our hotel, to change and to take our tickets. Finally, we managed - nice Policewoman let us go, but we were circulating about 1,5 hour, in a great stress.
So, the place is OK, service rather lousy.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Barry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I booked an apartment for a girlie trip with friends for 4 days. I was a bit apprehensive about not being assigned a non-smoking room but I needn't have worried. The apartment was spotless, fully equipped with everything you would need if you wanted to cook. The location was amazing. We traveled from the UK so the WiFi was a great bonus for us. The staff were always very helpful.

Baton Rouge, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

By friend and I traveled to NYC to celebrate her birthday and booked a room here for four nights. We knew we were not guaranteed a non-smoking room (which I find unbelievable and the reason for the four stars instead of five), but we were thrilled to learn that we were assigned to a non-smoking room. In addition, the hotel had upgraded our room from a two bed studio apartment to a one bedroom with two beds apartment. We were in 305 and it was very nice to have a window over looking both the front and the back of the building. We did not have any trouble with traffic noise which all seemed to end at about midnight or so. We found the room to be a bit stuffy even though it was November so we enjoyed leaving the windows open at night. The elevators were slow but it is an old building and that is to be expected. Luckily, we were only on the third floor and took the stairs each day. We quickly learned that if you wanted to take a hot shower, you had to let the water run for about ten minutes before you had any hot water. I'm not sure why it takes so long to get hot water, but to did.

We had an issue with the battery dying in our smoke detector at 2:30 in the morning. A strange voice (from the detector) spoke to us and told us the battery was low. The voice repeated the message 30 minutes later. I had to call the front desk and they sent someone up right away to remove the smoke detector. They replaced it the next day. No one bothered to apologize for the inconvenience or the disruption in the night.

I found the employees helpful enough when I asked them a question, but this group of guys do not go out of their way to tell you "good morning," "have a nice day," "is there anything we can help you with," etc etc. They did advise me on how to adjust the radiator in my room and offered to come up to help if needed. They also stored our luggage for us on the last day without a problem.

This is not a plush luxury hotel. It is a very old, quaint, hotel that offers VERY FIRM bedding with clean but not luxurious linens. The towels in the bathroom are plush and plentiful. Toiletries such as soap and shampoo are provided in the room. Coffee and a coffee pot are in the kitchen area and that was a huge plus.

I loved the place and I'll stay again … I'll just keep my fingers crossed on getting a non-smoking room!

Room Tip: I had no problems with being on the third floor. If you are staying n NYC, you expect to hear some...
enniskillen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

just back from a family of 5 stay in radio city apts new york, we had booked a one bedroom apt, was perfect for our stay, well equipped apt but as we were out all day every day we did cook in apartment, we used Toasties next door!! the reception staff were very helpful, the kids loved the WiFi!! has research alot of accommodation in new york before i booked radio city - would book again as so close to times square, Rockefeller centre and 5th avenue down to empire state, subway close by to take to downtown, So dont spend time looking for accommodation - you'll not be disappointed with Radio City!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Radio City Apartments? Share your experiences!