“Very nice hotel. Surrounding area not terrific but ok.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square

You added Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   330 W. 40th Street, Between 8th Ave. & 9th Ave., New York City, NY 10018 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #218 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Naperville, IL
“Very nice hotel. Surrounding area not terrific but ok.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We spent four nights at this hotel and it was very enjoyable. The hotel room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. As with most NY hotels, the room was small but we did not feel cramped. It had everything we needed and was organized efficiently.
The only down side was the street it was on which was a bit sketchy at night. But overall the location was good, not too close to Times Square but an easy walk to it and also close to the theater district. We appreciated not taking a taxi to the theater which we frequented often on this trip.
The hotel breakfast was very good, sometimes crowded but the staff did a nice job of making sure it worked efficiently by forming a line and seating people instead of leaving everyone to figure it out for themselves.
The staff was extremely helpful. The bellhops were great. I thought they were all terrific but I have to especially commend Victor who arranged our travel to the airport and when our flight was cancelled at the last minute and we needed to go to Newark to catch a plane, he calmed my fears and very efficiently arranged for our travel via town car to New Jersey. Thanks Victor. You were a gem!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Rubin S, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel. It is with great pleasure to have read and able to share your comments with our staff. We hope that on your next trip to NY, you will come and visit us again. Thank you again and we hope you have a great upcoming year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We just returned from a 3 night stay in NYC at the Fairfield Inn! What a gem in the heart of the Times Square area! The staff at this hotel are the best I've experienced in any hotel - friendly, helpful, courteous, and always smiling! The rooms were clean and comfortable, a little on the smaller side but large enough for us and what we needed. The king bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was a good size. The convenience of a full hot breakfast in the morning was great as well. Can't go wrong with this hotel!! Great value, great location, and great service! We'll be back for sure!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

On the positive side, clean rooms and common areas. Comfortable beds. Quiet despite the location, near Port Authority. Great service, everyone was pleasant and helpful. Breakfast food choices were plentiful and actually pretty good, especially the coffee.

Areas for improvement - one major area if the elevator situation. They have a rooftop bar so if you are checking in late afternoon or early evening, you could wait 20-30 minutes in the lobby for an elevator because one elevator is reserved for the rooftop bar. Elevators are small and at most one can fit 6 people with suitcases. They either need to get the rooms cleaned up earlier so check-in can start at 3:00 instead of 4:00 or they need to give hotel guests the ability to use that elevator. If they resolve this the hotel is a very good choice for the price and location. But waiting 20-30 minutes for an elevator is inexcusable.

Lobby is small but clean and pleasant, breakfast area can get crowded but the staff does a great job cleaning up quickly for those guests who are not considerate of others.

Room Tip: get a lower floor so you can walk up instead of waiting for elevator
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of our hotel. First and foremost, please accept my apologies regarding the issues you had in our property. Please know that we take these items seriously and we will do everything possible to ensure they are corrected. Thank you once again for bringing these items to light. We hope that on your next visit to New York you will give us another opportunity to show you that we have made those corrections. We hope you have a great upcoming year and hope to see you soon.
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Fresh hotel, comfortable rooms, great view, yummy breakfast included, excellent location. My first time staying here but certainly won't be my last. Friendly and helpful staff made the trip even better.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Rubin S, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are so happy to hear that you had a great time in our hotel and the city. Our staff strives to ensure that every guest is taken care like family. We hope that on your next trip to the Big Apple you will come and visit us again. Thank you again and we hope you have an amazing upcoming year.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Great location, great stay, great staff, great view.

The only negative is the elevator. There are 3 of them but one seems to only be used to transport people to/from the rooftop bar (sky room) mostly. The other two are very small and are not air conditioned. Also, there are 30-ish? floors so if you're on a high floor be prepared to stop. A lot. Definitely budget that extra wait time for the elevators into your travel plans.

The higher the room the better the view, but the longer the wait on the elevator.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Coquitlam, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Great location, very close to Times Square. The street itself is a bit seedy, but once you turn a corner, its a bit better. The staff are exceptional at this hotel. I honestly think the way they approach things, is why one complains less. We stayed in a handicapped king (not needed). The cold water tap made a horrendous noise, and the shower curtain was moldy. Otherwise, the room was clean and well appointed for its small NYC size. I'd recommend this hotel, for its location and the warmth of the staff all around. Still trying to figure out what a 44 dollar charge is on our account that we pre-paid.

Room Tip: Away from their roof top bar
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

The hotel is decorated very nicely, however there is room for improvement.
We are from New Orleans which is one of the top hospitality industries and we are very used to when you give someone your business you accommodate that guest, you make them feel at home, treat them with respect, and so on. That was not the case with some of your staff.
First of all, a week prior to our arrival we requested for a refrigerator in our double bedroom "due to one of our daughters being in a fitness competition she had to bring her pre-made meals on the trip" The kind staff at the front desk let her know it wouldn't be a problem they will make a note of it and she will have one.
On April 15th around 2:00 pm we dropped off our luggage, the front desk staff were very kind and helpful. The lady said that she noticed our request and it should be a problem, just remind the front desk know when we check in later that afternoon. When we returned to the hotel about 5:45-6:00pm; there were different staff at the front, we proceeded to give them our names, identification, credit card, etc. However the luggage assistant came up to the counter and we decided for my husband to go with him to get our luggage while we wait for our room keys. He walked off and I waited for the keys, the lady came back without the keys, said I needed to give my credit card and ID, so I asked her what about my husbands he just gave you his? She claimed that he didn't, I told her I just saw them well here's mine then as long as we aren't going to be double charged. She walked away to get our keys, then the man working with her at the front desk asked me where she left off, I explained to him. He proceeded to ask me for my ID and credit card as well, then I said really?! What is going on here can I just finish with one person. The lady came back and was chuckling about the whole incident saying it must be a full moon. The entire check in process must have taken 20 minutes. It was confusing to say the least. We finally had the chance to ask about the refrigerator, they both said they were completely out. I explained to them about how we already requested ahead of time, they said there was nothing they could do.
We proceeded to fill the ice buckets in both rooms for our daughters food. While we were on our way to fill them I came across a nice Hispanic looking man "dressed like a manager" I told him our dilemma and he tried to help us out with a refrigerator with no success. He told me there we none available in storage, as soon as one comes available they will send one right up to her room.
The next day we asked to be moved from room 1305 due to the noise from the Port Authority Terminal across the street and loud A/C.
While in line for the front desk I cam across the manager on your hotel channel "salt & pepper hair, Italian/Hispanic looking" I asked him if he could help u with the refrigerator dilemma, he told me he see what he could do. Our daughter told us that they were surprised to see them bringing one up within 5 minutes of me asking. I was so happy for her and also stumped as to why it was so difficult before and now it's not a problem.(I wish I saw him again to thank him). We got our room key and went to check the room, which turned out to be handicap. We requested for another, we had to wait until afternoon when the guests check out, it was not a problem we left to enjoy the day came back and our room was fine, problem solved.
Our oldest daughter went up to the Sky Room bar to visit with some local friends, they ordered a round of specialty shots. After drinking them along with another drink, the bartender was saying to a co-worker how he was so drunk. She was disgusted, later on he went to our daughter to give her a shot of Johnny Walker "he told her, here take this!" She explained to him I don't want this, I didn't order this. He told her she was rude for not taking it from him. She started getting very angry, letting him know that he was rude and she doesn't take anything like that from someone she doesn't know. The bouncer overheard and inquired as to if she was alright, she told him what happened, he said he would straighten things out. I don't know where these employees come from, but someone needs to enforce a different kind of training. The breakfast could use a variety, everywhere else that we have traveled in the U.S, Italy, France, etc. They switch out a few items, one day pancakes, the next day waffles, then bagels. The scrambled eggs looked and tasted fake, rubber-like. Why have two pans of scrambled eggs & sausage? I recommend in the hot pans: scrambled, egg whites, sausage, hashbrowns, just a suggestion. The coffee/tea bar the cups and the cardboard sleeves should be next to each other; not on opposite ends of the counter. I practically burned my hand trying to hold my cup of coffee to the other end of the bar to get a sleeve to protect my hand from the exact thing. It doesn't make sense.
Overall, your hotel is clean, nice décor, close proximity to many attractions, nice staff "housekeeping, concierge, manager, first front desk staff, club bouncers, busboy in breakfast area" I would not say that we would return due to our experience unfortunately. Perhaps another location in the future.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the Port Authority, it can be a bit noisy
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square

Address: 330 W. 40th Street, Between 8th Ave. & 9th Ave., New York City, NY 10018
Location: United States > New York > New York City > Midtown , Hell's Kitchen , Garment District , Manhattan
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Suites Wheelchair access
#180 Business Hotel in New York City
#181 Romantic Hotel in New York City
#194 Family Hotel in New York City
Hotel Class:3 star — Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square 3*
Our 244 guest rooms include Complimentary Deluxe Continental Breakfast Daily, Complimentary Starbucks Coffee available 24 hours and in room and Complimentary High Speed Internet. Centrally located just minutes from Times Square, Theatre District and transportation that will take you anywhere throughout New York City. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, Marriott, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Fairfield Inn And Suites By Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square
Fairfield Inn & Suites By Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square Hotel
Fairfield Inn New York City

If you own or manage Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.