“Very good with only one minor negative to note” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square

Save Saved
You added Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   330 W. 40th Street, Between 8th Ave. & 9th Ave., New York City, NY 10018 (Garment District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #208 of 453 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Very good with only one minor negative to note”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Great location, great stay, great staff, great view.

The only negative is the elevator. There are 3 of them but one seems to only be used to transport people to/from the rooftop bar (sky room) mostly. The other two are very small and are not air conditioned. Also, there are 30-ish? floors so if you're on a high floor be prepared to stop. A lot. Definitely budget that extra wait time for the elevators into your travel plans.

The higher the room the better the view, but the longer the wait on the elevator.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Rubin S, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel. First and foremost, please accept my apologies regarding the issues you had in our property. Please know that we take these items seriously and we will do everything possible to ensure they are corrected. Thank you once again for bringing these items to light. We hope that on your next visit to New York you will give us another opportunity to show you that we have made those corrections. We hope you have a great upcoming year and hope to see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Coquitlam, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Great location, very close to Times Square. The street itself is a bit seedy, but once you turn a corner, its a bit better. The staff are exceptional at this hotel. I honestly think the way they approach things, is why one complains less. We stayed in a handicapped king (not needed). The cold water tap made a horrendous noise, and the shower curtain was moldy. Otherwise, the room was clean and well appointed for its small NYC size. I'd recommend this hotel, for its location and the warmth of the staff all around. Still trying to figure out what a 44 dollar charge is on our account that we pre-paid.

Room Tip: Away from their roof top bar
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are so happy to hear that you had a great time in our hotel and the city. Our staff strives to ensure that every guest is taken care like family. We hope that on your next trip to the Big Apple you will come and visit us again. Thank you again and we hope you have an amazing upcoming year.
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

The hotel is decorated very nicely, however there is room for improvement.
We are from New Orleans which is one of the top hospitality industries and we are very used to when you give someone your business you accommodate that guest, you make them feel at home, treat them with respect, and so on. That was not the case with some of your staff.
First of all, a week prior to our arrival we requested for a refrigerator in our double bedroom "due to one of our daughters being in a fitness competition she had to bring her pre-made meals on the trip" The kind staff at the front desk let her know it wouldn't be a problem they will make a note of it and she will have one.
On April 15th around 2:00 pm we dropped off our luggage, the front desk staff were very kind and helpful. The lady said that she noticed our request and it should be a problem, just remind the front desk know when we check in later that afternoon. When we returned to the hotel about 5:45-6:00pm; there were different staff at the front, we proceeded to give them our names, identification, credit card, etc. However the luggage assistant came up to the counter and we decided for my husband to go with him to get our luggage while we wait for our room keys. He walked off and I waited for the keys, the lady came back without the keys, said I needed to give my credit card and ID, so I asked her what about my husbands he just gave you his? She claimed that he didn't, I told her I just saw them well here's mine then as long as we aren't going to be double charged. She walked away to get our keys, then the man working with her at the front desk asked me where she left off, I explained to him. He proceeded to ask me for my ID and credit card as well, then I said really?! What is going on here can I just finish with one person. The lady came back and was chuckling about the whole incident saying it must be a full moon. The entire check in process must have taken 20 minutes. It was confusing to say the least. We finally had the chance to ask about the refrigerator, they both said they were completely out. I explained to them about how we already requested ahead of time, they said there was nothing they could do.
We proceeded to fill the ice buckets in both rooms for our daughters food. While we were on our way to fill them I came across a nice Hispanic looking man "dressed like a manager" I told him our dilemma and he tried to help us out with a refrigerator with no success. He told me there we none available in storage, as soon as one comes available they will send one right up to her room.
The next day we asked to be moved from room 1305 due to the noise from the Port Authority Terminal across the street and loud A/C.
While in line for the front desk I cam across the manager on your hotel channel "salt & pepper hair, Italian/Hispanic looking" I asked him if he could help u with the refrigerator dilemma, he told me he see what he could do. Our daughter told us that they were surprised to see them bringing one up within 5 minutes of me asking. I was so happy for her and also stumped as to why it was so difficult before and now it's not a problem.(I wish I saw him again to thank him). We got our room key and went to check the room, which turned out to be handicap. We requested for another, we had to wait until afternoon when the guests check out, it was not a problem we left to enjoy the day came back and our room was fine, problem solved.
Our oldest daughter went up to the Sky Room bar to visit with some local friends, they ordered a round of specialty shots. After drinking them along with another drink, the bartender was saying to a co-worker how he was so drunk. She was disgusted, later on he went to our daughter to give her a shot of Johnny Walker "he told her, here take this!" She explained to him I don't want this, I didn't order this. He told her she was rude for not taking it from him. She started getting very angry, letting him know that he was rude and she doesn't take anything like that from someone she doesn't know. The bouncer overheard and inquired as to if she was alright, she told him what happened, he said he would straighten things out. I don't know where these employees come from, but someone needs to enforce a different kind of training. The breakfast could use a variety, everywhere else that we have traveled in the U.S, Italy, France, etc. They switch out a few items, one day pancakes, the next day waffles, then bagels. The scrambled eggs looked and tasted fake, rubber-like. Why have two pans of scrambled eggs & sausage? I recommend in the hot pans: scrambled, egg whites, sausage, hashbrowns, just a suggestion. The coffee/tea bar the cups and the cardboard sleeves should be next to each other; not on opposite ends of the counter. I practically burned my hand trying to hold my cup of coffee to the other end of the bar to get a sleeve to protect my hand from the exact thing. It doesn't make sense.
Overall, your hotel is clean, nice décor, close proximity to many attractions, nice staff "housekeeping, concierge, manager, first front desk staff, club bouncers, busboy in breakfast area" I would not say that we would return due to our experience unfortunately. Perhaps another location in the future.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the Port Authority, it can be a bit noisy
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I was a bit skeptical about a Times Square hotel, and a Fairfield Inn (on the lower end of the Marriott spectrum) to boot, but I have to say this hotel pleasantly surprised me. Quick summary: Positives: Comfortable beds, free breakfast and wifi, great location, service oriented staff, nice (if small) rooms. Negatives: Nightclub on roof that uses hotel elevators during peak nighttime hours so you may have to wait for club goers before getting to your room.

Detailed Review:
Located on a relatively quiet street across from the NYT building and next to Port Authority, the hotel has an excellent location for exploring NYC. The high line walk is only 10 blocks away, Times Square, Murray Hill, Bryant Park--it seems like everything is a 10-20 minute walk from this hotel. Plus, nearly every subway line goes through Times Square so it's easy to get around the island and the boroughs. Other reviewers have called the area "sketchy", and if you compare it to the upper East Side, I suppose it is, but just barely. There are a few...hmmm...stores where you can enjoy adult entertainment nearby, but they are tucked between the subway entrance, restaurants, and regular shops. I felt completely safe walking around there at any hour of the day or night.

The hotel itself has a hip vibe with cool decor. The front desk staff is super friendly and provides excellent customer service. Maximilian was especially excellent in welcoming us and making us feel like VIPs. We had only one semi-negative experience with the staff where a young woman (Isa?) was a bit short with us and acted as if our request was putting her out. She then said some negative stuff about Maximilian, which seemed rather unprofessional. But that one experience was the exception. Maybe the girl was just having a bad day, because all of the other times we engaged with her, she was pleasant and helpful. All of the other staff were absolutely excellent--front staff, cleaners, security, maintenance--everyone.

The rooms are small, but didn't feel cramped. It's New York, after all. The bed was super comfortable--firm with a pillow top feel. Large flat screen TV, free water and coffee in the room every day, decent sized bathroom--all in all, perfect for a vacation room. For me, this would be a difficult place for a business trip because it is a small room. I prefer a bit more space if I'm going to be working out of the hotel. But that is subjective.

The A/C was strong, but would cut off throughout the night. Seemed a bit strange to me. It was fine, just slightly annoying. The A/C is noisy, but it covers the noise from other guests (and I suppose the nightclub if you are on a high floor).

The main negative I found for the hotel was the nightclub on the roof. It's cool, and hotel guests get a pass to skip the line and check it out. My issue is that the club goers use the same elevators as the guests to go up, so after a long day of touring, dinner and going out, we had to wait for two elevators of clubbers to go up before we could stumble into our room. Another night we had to ride up with them, which was a little awkward--I wanted some hot chocolate (free 24-7 downstairs!) and was basically in my PJs, and I was in an elevator with all of these gals with skimpy dresses and platforms. It was just a bit strange, but not a deal breaker.

Breakfast includes plain scrambled eggs, turkey and pork sausages, bagels, breads, banana, orange, cereal and yogurt. Nothing fancy, but good enough to put something in your belly before heading out for the day.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel to others. The few little negatives are so minor they are barely worth mentioning.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are closer to the nightclub, which goes until 4am on the weekends. If you get ar...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Rubin S, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Booked the trip through Expedia...great deal in a fine hotel across from the Port Authority Bus Depot and 5 blocks from Times Square. Broadway Theatres from one to three blocks away.

Room was small (average size Mastr Bedroom with Credenza, sorage cupboard, iron and ironing board. It had the King bed we wanted with a flat screen TV and a very nice bathroom. The bed was extremely comfortable.

Service & security were good & room security cards were the way to get the hotel elevators to take you to your floor. Breakfast was free and could be taken back to the room. Had one maintenance issue with the glas shower door & it was fixed while we were sightseeing.

The front desk were very well presented and welcoming and the Cocierge, Vanessa (who lived in Spanish Harlem and was very informative) helped with booking a Hop-On Hop- Off tour that circled the areas surrounding Central Park. Visited Harlem & stopped for lunch/early dinner at a recommended (by bus driver) restaurant - The Red Rooster. Great afternoon!

Room Tip: We were on the 26th floor...there were not many rooms on the floor and the three elevators were smal...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of our hotel. It is with great pleasure to have read and able to share your comments with our staff. We hope that on your next trip to NY, you will come and visit us again. Thank you again and we hope you have a great upcoming year.
Staffordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with a friend in August 2013, it was our first time in Manhattan and we couldn't have asked for anything better! The rooms were clean and a good size and staff were always happy to help wherever they could. The lemonade and biscuits in the lobby each afternoon were a great plus too!
The hotel is a short walk from Times Square, the theatre district and other attractions such as the Empire State Building and Bryant Park, the nearest subway station is at the end of the street too, which was great for getting to Battery Park and Ground Zero.
The only thing I could possibly complain about this hotel was the lack of plug sockets in the rooms (as far as I can remember, there were only 2 in ours), not great when you're two girls trying to get ready/charge mobile phones and cameras!
Other than that, this hotel is definitely worth the money and I would without a doubt stay there again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Quito
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

The only, and I mean the only, not so nice thing about this awesome hotel, is the outside gets a little rough on the night since it's right behind Port Authority, if I ever go back to the city and this hotel is in my budget, I'll go there for sure. the restaurants in the zone are great, and I mean GREAT, the staff is really nice, the hotel is really nice and the breakfast is good enough to keep you going the whole day. My number one choice in the city, for sure!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square

Address: 330 W. 40th Street, Between 8th Ave. & 9th Ave., New York City, NY 10018
Location: United States > New York > New York City > Garment District , Manhattan
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( Wi-Fi ) Suites Wheelchair access
#175 Business Hotel in New York City
#189 Romantic Hotel in New York City
#202 Family Hotel in New York City
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): $$$
Hotel Class:3 star — Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square 3*
Our 244 guest rooms include Complimentary Deluxe Continental Breakfast Daily, Complimentary Starbucks Coffee available 24 hours and in room and Complimentary High Speed Internet. Centrally located just minutes from Times Square, Theatre District and transportation that will take you anywhere throughout New York City. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, Otel and Venere so you can book your Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Fairfield Inn & Suites By Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square Hotel
Fairfield Inn And Suites By Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square
Fairfield Inn New York City

If you own or manage Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.