“Convienient Location with a couple of things to note” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square

Save Saved
You added Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   330 W. 40th Street, Between 8th Ave. & 9th Ave., New York City, NY 10018 (Garment District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #209 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Plano, Texas
“Convienient Location with a couple of things to note”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for Oct 22-25 for a business trip. The furnishings were modern and the room was clean (if you read my other reviews you will note that I am keen on a clean hotel room!). The front desk staff was friendly and they accommodated me with an early check in without a problem. I normally like to stay on a high floor particularly in NYC because of the street noise. The only thing they had available early was on the 6th floor which I reluctantly took. I had no issues with noise what so ever. I was able to sleep peacefully each night. The room size was comparable to other NY hotels. The ice machine was broken but I requested ice from the front desk with no problem.

Now, on the things to note. This location is across from the NY Bus Transit (large bus station) and also a few doors down from the NY Parole Office. So there is alot of foot traffic and what may seem like questionable individuals. However, having said that this is New York City. You have to be aware and smart anywhere you go. I did not feel unsafe at anytime but you should just be aware of the location. Other than those negative points, the location is convenient to several subway lines, times square, macys (my personal favorite), many dining options. I would say that if the rate is good for you, then this Marriott option is a very acceptable choice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
fairfieldinn330, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments about the hotel and the staff. Yes, the hotel is very well located in the Times Square area. We are within a very short walking distance to all major shopping, great restaurants and the subways. The Port Authority Bus Station is directly accross the street and can be taken as a an eye sore because of it's sheer size, but what very few know is the fact that it also houses about 80 beautiful stores and a pharmacy that is open 24 hours a day. Great convenience for our guests who may have forgotten an important item.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Had a good time in the Fairfield Inn & Suites last october. Stayed there for 5 nights and I got a fresh bottle of water everyday, clean towles when I used them and left them on the floor & the staff was very kind. There's a bar on the top floor of the hotel and you have a beautiful view at night over the city!
The location of the hotel is perfect with Time Square and metrostations just around the corner!
Absolutely advisable for a nice, comfortable stay!
The staff is always there to help and greet you, a special ''concierge'' helps you with all your questions and even makes reservations at restaurants as you prefere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Would like to thank the reviewer for their positive comments about the hotel. Our staff take great pride in all that they do and it reflects in the comments that are left by our satisfied guests. The view on the top floor is quite breathtaking. We hope that you were able to have a few drinks at the bar during your stay. If in town again we hope to be able to welcome you back.
Pittsburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Let me preface this review by stating that I am a Marriott Platinum Premier member. I travel extensively for business and average 75 nights a year in a Marriott property. I have stayed all over the world, almost always in a Marriott property. I do so primarily due to my expectation of a certain level of service and a consistent welcoming experience. As the title of this review states, this was the worst Marriott experience ever. The snooty, unfriendly, unyielding and unwelcoming Erica at the front desk was the sole culprit. Her lousy attitude when we attempted to check in was enough for myself and my family to call Marriott, cancel the reservation and rebook at the much more welcoming, friendly and accommodating Marriott Marquis. I should have known what to expect from the reviews on this site and when I received an email the day before our stay from the hotel asking for the number in our party and oddly stating that I should ensure the credit card on file is accurate or the reservation may be cancelled. That is a first for me. And by the way, calling yourself a boutique hotel and putting disinterested people in positions to interact with guests does not make you a boutique hotel.
We had requested an early check in, both when reserving the room and in responding to the odd "welcoming" email. Check in is 4pm, check out 11am. Arrived around 12:30, paid $38 to park in the OFFSITE parking garage dragged multiple bags into lobby only to be told that no rooms were ready. I get it, a early check in request can not be guaranteed, but the pleasure on Erica's face as she repeated this in a condescending tone was enough to make me want to leave then and there. It did not help matters that while we were waiting for a bellman to store our bags, another guest approached the desk and was given a room.
Checked back at 2:30 and was again,in a condescending and RUDE manner, told there were NO clean rooms. NONE and the we would have to wait till 4pm. Under the circumstances, I would have rolled with it, had she been pleasant, had she been a tad accommodating. You are telling me that check out is at 11am and 3 1/2 hours later you don't have one lousy room w/ 2 double beds? REALLY? If this is true, this property has more issues then unfriendly staff, a seedy location (sex shops and a bus terminal) inconvenient parking and a developing bad reputation. So no clean rooms in 3 1/2 hours but in next 1 1/2 hours, for 4:00 check in the hotel would be ready?? This was not the case. This was an unfriendly, unyielding front desk clerk(although she claimed to be a manager) lording what little power and influence she has, in the most misdirected manner.
I asked to speak to the GM Ron Bhandari, but was told he was gone for the day. Until this property under goes a major upgrade in their hospitality training I expect to continue to read reviews like this. It's funny how one persons attitude can make or break a persons opinion. I will never book this hotel again, I will never recommend it. There are too many better options. If this is how they treat one of Marriotts most loyal customers, how do you think the average visitor would be treated?
Mr. Bhandari, read your less then favorable reviews. What's the common thread? You have your work cut out for you.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
fairfieldinn330, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We do work to accommodate early arrival requests in the order that guests arrive to the hotel and sometimes certain room types become available before others. I will admit my Housekeeping department was up against some unique challenges this weekend. Nonetheless, whether we could accommodate your request or not, the level of service should always be exemplary. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the aforementioned staff member’s behavior. It is inexcusable and I will be addressing it accordingly.

As a Platinum Premier member, your loyalty to Marriott is unquestionable and I regret that your experience at my hotel would blemish your opinion of this company. I will take your advice to heart and should you like to discuss this situation further, I welcome your call anytime.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I have stayed at the hotel from the 26th of October to the 2nd of November right trough hurricane Sandy.
We had a very nice stay, friendly staff and good location, close to the subway and main tourist hotspots. The room was clean and comfortable maybe not the biggest room on earth but spacious enough for a family of four and two suitcases. We didn't spend much time in the room as we were always out to enjoy the amazing city of New York. Our room was on the 4th floor which made easy for us to use the lift. The few times we did use the lift we didn’t encounter any problem. Breakfast is nice and free, the selection of food could be improved in order not to be the same everyday.
On our last day we didn’t have any arrangement in place to get to the airport, but the hotel concierge arranged everything for us and we treated ourselves to a limo ride.
I am a flight attendant and I use hotels quite often and I can easily say that this hotel is good value for money especially if you are looking for a good location and a nice place to sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
fairfieldinn330, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and your stay with us. We all went through a few difficult days during and after Hurricane Sandy. Thank you for sticking it out with use during that time. We tried to have a hotel running as normal as possible. When in town, come back and visit us again.
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Some reviews mention the long wait for elevators at busy times, and the cramped breakfast room,which we definitely noticed but despite this we had a great stay. Check in was easy, staff were polite and helpful. The public areas are definitely not spacious, but we had no problems. Room was clean, reasonably spacious, and well equiped. It was also quiet as it was at the back of the hotel. We've stayed in New York before and suffered from rooms that were too close to the streets and the noise that comes from passing traffic, and police/fire sirens.
Other reviews also mention sex shops and downmarket bars on the same street. Yes, they are there, but we never felt ill at ease about them - just walk past. The Port Authority (bus terminal) is opposite the hotel which is a bit of a mixed blessing but we found it handy for the shuttle bus to Newark Airport. This was $16 each way, and the buses went every 15 minutes apparently. The trip was about 40 minutes, and was painless. I'd recommend the shuttle bus as a cheap way to get into town from Newark.
Times Square is a five minute walk away. All Broadway theatres are in walking distance. Great value location at the heart of New York.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room at the back of the hotel - 9th floor- and we couldn't hear any street or tra...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Yes, the Port Authority Bus Terminal is really very convenient. Walk accross the street and you are inside the terminal. What few people know is that there are about 80 stores inside the terminal which include a Duane Reade Pharmacy which remains open 24 hours a day. Very convenient when you forget important items while traveling. We are very close to all major attractions, restaurants and public transportation. When in town, come back and visit with us.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Why am I taking a chance giving this hotel an excellent review? Because now everyone will know about it and I might not be able to get a future reservation! This place is fantastic! I stayed here once before, but I wasn't 'wowed'. Possibly because it was summer and the elevators were slow and the breakfast was packed. But this time I saw things more clearly and love this hotel. It is directly across the street from the bus depot where you can pick up the NYC subway to anywhere that you would want to go. The rooms are beautiful and spacious by NYC hotel standards. The staff is very pleasant and housekeeping does a super job. Free drink at the bar for Marriott Platinum members; so much better than 'something' from the Market. But, the most amazing thing about this Fairfield Inn is their breakfast. In all my stays at Fairfield Inn's, I have never seen such an extensive spread. There was such a variety of food and it was set up in two different stations so people weren't bumping into each other. The coffee setup is elsewhere and that is very convenient, too, if you just want to help yourself to coffee/tea only. And, don't forget about the lobby bar. That's a very nice touch for those who don't want to venture out in the evening. The hotel is also convenient to Times Square, the Theatre District, and Restaurant Row. You don't need a car, but if you bring one, the parking is very reasonably priced and is in a garage just two doors down the street. By the way, we stayed on Halloween Night, just after Hurricane Irene, and NYC was in disaster-mode. The staff, whom I'm sure were overwhelmed, never let on that things were anything but usual. Congrats to all of them for a fine job!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
fairfieldinn330, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Would like to thank you for writing such a detailed and beautiful review about our hotel and our services. I will transmit your thanks to my staff who truly did a fine job during the hurricane. We are so centrally located to all major attractions and a very short walk to some wonderful restaurants located right on 9th Avenue. The subway station is only half a block away and the Port Authority Bus Terminal is right next to the hotel. What few know is that the bus terminal also houses about 80 stores which include a Duane Reade pharmacy which remains open 24 hours a day and are almost considered a mini market because of the assortment of items they have available. Please come back and visit us again when visiting New York City.
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in a double room on a high floor. Comfy beds, clean bathroom, friendly desk service, acceptable breakfast (it's free and hot). No problems with the elevators. No issue with noise. Nice view from the window. All in all a good experience. Location was convenient for where we needed to go. No issues with the neighborhood. It's not the Ritz but it's not a flea bag either. If you are looking for a moderately priced hotel with a friendly staff in a good location, Fairfield Inn & Suites Times Square is the place. We will stay there again when we return to NYC.

Room Tip: For an unhurried/uncrowded breakfast get down to the dining area before 8:30 am.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
fairfieldinn330, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time in sending in your comments about our hotel. I was pleased to learn that you had a good stay with us and that our staff took care of all your needs. Yes, the breakfast does fill up very quickly. We actually posted signs in the elevators giving our guests the possible hours of peak crunch time in that area.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the very near future.

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square

Address: 330 W. 40th Street, Between 8th Ave. & 9th Ave., New York City, NY 10018
Location: United States > New York > New York City > Garment District , Manhattan
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( Wi-Fi ) Suites Wheelchair access
#174 Business Hotel in New York City
#189 Romantic Hotel in New York City
#202 Family Hotel in New York City
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): $$$
Hotel Class:3 star — Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square 3*
Our 244 guest rooms include Complimentary Deluxe Continental Breakfast Daily, Complimentary Starbucks Coffee available 24 hours and in room and Complimentary High Speed Internet. Centrally located just minutes from Times Square, Theatre District and transportation that will take you anywhere throughout New York City. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Otel and Venere so you can book your Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Fairfield Inn & Suites By Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square Hotel
Fairfield Inn And Suites By Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square
Fairfield Inn New York City

If you own or manage Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan / Times Square, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.