“Great stay while in the Lower East Side of NY” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge

You added Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge to your Saves list
Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   61 - 63 Chrystie Street, New York City, NY 10013 (Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #260 of 461 Hotels in New York City
Regina, Canada
“Great stay while in the Lower East Side of NY”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

My wife and I recently traveled to New York and stayed at the Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge (CIMB) - most of the trip was for pleasure and part was for business. Being that we had never been to Manhattan before, we were advised to stay in the East Village area as it's a trendy place. Not knowing what exactly constitutes "East Village", we stayed here - which is more Chinatown / Little Italy.

Room:
In doing a lot of research on NY hotels, the CIMB offered a much larger room size for equivalent or less price than many of it's competitors in the area, or throughout Manhattan. We had enough space to store our luggage, came with a safe, and stand-up external closet and a desk. The bathroom was quite spacious but had very limited counter space.

We stayed on the 2nd floor (room 202); being so close to the ground we had a lot of outside noise. Most noise came through the bathroom window so we closed the bathroom door through the evening to dampen the noise. If you are a light sleeper I'd ask to stay on a higher floor (if possible). Overall we were very satisfied with the room, especially for the rate.

Service:
The front desk folks were relatively friendly; they would say hello and goodbye as would leave. We made a point to initiate greetings so I cannot say if they were like that with all guests; I would hope so. Check-in was quick, and check-out was very smooth. The house keepers made sure our rooms were clean by 2:00 PM each day (as we'd come back by 3:00 PM to rest after lots of sightseeing).

One thing that would have been nice would have been a mini fridge within the room. There was space within the closet to store one. I realize this is an added cost to the hotel and maybe that is why there isn't one. However, there is a wine/liquor store half a block south and a beer store 3 1/2 blocks north; it would be nice to have stored a few cold drinks in the room to have as a night cap or during our down time.

Within the hotel they have those cards that ask guests to conserve towels. However, due to the humidity in New York it was near impossible for a damp towel in the morning to actually dry by the next morning. Therefore the "conservation tip" isn't relevant. Some days the house keepers did not provide fresh towels which was slightly annoying, but didn't ruin the stay. Overall, the room was cleaned each day with very little issues.

Location:
Depending on what your intentions are for a New York visit, it is hard to comment on the location. For us, we never really visited Chinatown of Little Italy, so we spent most of our time walking away from that area of taking the subway to other parts of the town. However, roughly 1 mile away there are some trendy restaurants that we bar hopped too (I think it was SoHo). Being that we did these later in the evening, walking back to the hotel was not an issue; we didn't feel unsafe whatsoever. There is also a subway station 1 block north and will get you to pretty much anywhere in the city. The B/D subway line was a fantastic spot and required for little transfers within the city.

CIMB is also really close to the financial district and the 9/11 Memorial. If you have good shoes it is walking distance. This is also close to the Brooklyn Bridge which was a lot of fun to walk and a must do for lower Manhattan.

Tips:
- If you are like us and don't spend much time in this area invest in a good pair of walking shoes. We covered about 20-25 miles in 6 days and even with decent sneakers, we got nasty blisters
- CIMB offers free wifi, make sure you log-in with the "comfortinn" account and not the "Comfort Inn" account. The speeds are drastically different and reduces all frustration with wifi speeds.
- The included continental breakfast is "OK". It is mostly pastries, waffles, sugary-yogurts and such. My wife has a gluten intolerance so we pretty much ate fruit at CIMB and then left. If the continental breakfast is the selling point for you to book here, don't let it be.

Would we stay again?
Yes and No. Our stay was great and had no problems. The subway is nice and close and we felt safe. However, when we go back to NY we would probably stay in a different area, just to try something new.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Gwen L, General Manager at Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
What an incredibly detailed review. Thank you for taking the time to post it, to better assist future NYC guests in making the best lodging decision for their stay. I appreciate your feedback on our conservation/re-use program. NYC does get some humid days, but is not typical. I completely agree on humid days the towels would probably not dry out. I will follow up with the staff to ensure they are replacing the towel when the towels are not hung.

I always advise guests about the importance of good walking shoes. The city is amazing to see on foot. I have found the best restautants and shops, from wandering the city. I am glad you enjoyed the city on foot too. I will look into the two WiFi logins. We recently increased our bandwidth and you may have been here during the conversion. My apologies that was not communicate better, if so. I appreciate your feedback on breakfast. It is a standard Comfort Inn breakfast, but we do have some flexibility. I have celiac and also cannot have gluten. The eggs, breakfast meats, rice krispies, yogurt and beverages are all gluten free. If you let us know of your concerns we are always happy to assist in finding something that will work too.

We hope that you will stay with us the next time you are in NYC.

Gwen D Lytle
Gwen.Lytle@InterstateHotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I stayed at the Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge in early June. We had a great view from our room. The hotel staff was very polite. Our room was decent-size for NYC. And, it was clean. The Grand St. subway station is two blocks away with access to the B and D lines. It was very easy to connect to other lines at W 4th St.
I would definitely stay here again as long as the price was reasonable.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
I will certainly share your review with my staff. I am glad they took good care of you. I am glad to hear that our hotel offered a good stay and value to you. Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Best Wishes,
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

My husband and I recently went to NYC to celebrate our 1 year wedding anniversary. We travel a lot and are budget conscious so we were thrilled when we stumbled upon the Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge. Upon checking into our room, we were welcomed with a note of congratulations and a delicious surprise from the hotel staff. This started our stay off superbly and the whole week we felt like the staff were genuinely interested in making our stay comfortable. A little goes a long way and this Comfort Inn certainly tries. Highly recommend the hotel based on staff attentiveness (housekeeping was also great), location, amenities nearby, and comfort.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for letting us be a part of your wedding celebration trip to NYC. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel. We really appreciate you staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We look forward to your next stay with us.

All the best for many wonderful anniversaries ahead!
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 6 nights May 31-June 6 2014. A very clean, with spacious Manhattan hotel rooms. Bathroom was roomy with plenty of hot water and great water pressure. Great friendly staff. Gwen responded quickly to emails and all the staff we encountered were kind and very helpful. Is located on the edge of Chinatown that tends to be a little on the dirty side but very safe. Little Italy was a short walk as well as SOHO. Hotel has a great view of the Manhattan Bridge from the upper floors. The D train was a short walk from the hotel. Very good free breakfast that even when busy was fully stocked. If you are looking for a very clean hotel in a convenient area to explore the city for a reasonable cost, look no further than Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
It is so wonderful to hear that you enjoyed staying with us. I appreciate you selecting our hotel and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor to assist others in planning their NYC trips. I am always happy to assist guests as well. I am glad my emails were helpful. We hope that you will stay with us again soon.

All the best!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I stayed at the Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge between the 6th and 11th May 2014. The hotel staff were friendly and welcoming and the hotel itself was spotlessly clean, comfortable and ideally located as a base from which to explore the city.

The staff were thoughtful enough to leave a card and a cake in my room as I was celebrating my birthday during my stay. Such a special touch and very much appreciated.

My room had a great view of the Manhattan Bridge and although compact, it was perfectly comfortable, the beds especially so. The room offered a good sized bathroom, a safe and a flat screen tv. There was also free WIFI available throughout the hotel which was a great benefit. The room was serviced daily and the hotel offered a great breakfast which is unusual for NYC. A few people had mentioned in their reviews that breakfast could get a little crowded but I was normally down between 7am and 7.30 and never found this to be an issue. As well as a continental style breakfast, there was also the choice of sausages, bacon and scrambled egg and freshly made waffles. A welcome start to a day of exploring.

All hotel staff I encountered were courteous, polite and helpful.

The hotel offered free tea & coffee in the breakfast area 24 hrs a day as well as a drinks vending machine and an ice machine.

The hotel is in the heart of Chinatown and is surrounded by shops and some great restaurants. The Subway was only a 2 minute walk away where you could get the B & D lines uptown. A 5 minute walk would take you to the Lower East Side and Little Italy and a 15 minute walk would take you into Soho. 4 Stops on the subway will take you to 42nd Street where you'll find the New York Library, Bryant Park, Times Square, 5th Avenue, Grand Central and Macy's amongst other attractions.

The area around the hotel was bustling and I felt perfectly safe walking around at night by myself.

I can't fault the Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge. It's not fancy but it's ideal for somewhere safe and relaxed to stay as a base. I would definitely choose to stay there again.Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I would ask for a higher level room if possible, this way you're more likely to get a view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
I am so pleased to hear that we were such a positive part of your birthday trip. Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We look forward to your next stay with us.

All the best!
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

The location : its in Chinatown at the boarder of little Italy, grand st subway is 2 blocks away, bowery (for the j train to the airport is 4). Its handy for cheap eats, convenience stores and beer and wine stores.
The room: no mini bar/fridge but has ice machine at the breakfast bar
The room we had, 808, had an ok view of the roofs and Manhattan bridge, I have had a lot worse views in hotels in NY!! The room was light fairly big, bathroom was modern with hairdryer.
The breakfast was pretty good too. As well as the usual self serve continental fair they offered hot sausage / bacon / eggs . In addition fresh made waffles.

The staff were very good, helped us out when we needed it. Thanks guys

I would come back here again, would get a higher room next time

Room Tip: higher the better
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Gwen L, General Manager at Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
We appreciate you staying with us for your time in NYC. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and are grateful for your feedback, so we can focus on what we are doing well and improve as well. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Best Wishes,
Gwen D Lytle
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed for 12 nights for new years eve 2013-2014, price was good compared to most hotels on the Manhattan area. Its located in Chinatown/Lowe Manhattan, so not as fancy as the fith avenue or times square, but well we used the hotel to sleep and rest only, all the nice places are around a 10-20 minute train ride.
Besides the cold of that time of the year(I am from a tropical country), so needed to wear many layers of clothing, the place is excellent.
Check in is at 4pm, we arrived at 1pm, they did early check in, highly appreciated.
Breakfasts was ok, try the waffles, the machine broke, and they replaced it within a day or less; pro tip: go early to get the breakfast, it can get crowdy around 8 am.

Pros:
Location: Subway station is 2 blocks away, 3-5 minute walk, train wait was about 5-15 minutes, so very good for out trip porpuses.
Room: Room was clean, small but decent, had a safe, AC/heat, hot water, closet, nice large Windows,room cleaning was daily they even would wait until we were out to go clean, very nice personel.
View: we got a Corner room, so we were facing at the Manhattan bridge and also the Financial District.
Cons:
Our Corner Room(804) had a TV not very well positioned, you could see it from the top of the bed(the closet was in the middle sort of speak), but well, we only watch tv for a bit at night before going to bed so, it was not really a Con.
Taxi service to airport: they will book a taxi for you, they told us the taxi to JKF was a flat rate of $40, but taxi driver charged us more at airport arrival.
There is only 1 elevator, you might find this a little annoying at some times, but not a big deal.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Gwen L, General Manager at Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
We appreciate you selecting our hotel for your extended holiday in NYC. Thank you for taking the time to share your review so we can celebrate what we are doing well and also improve where we can. I am a little confused by the cost of the taxi to JFK. The yellow NYC regulated taxi's to JFK are a flat rate of $52. We have a contract with a car service for a flat rate of $59 to JFK. You may have been in a gypsy cab, which should be avoided as they do change their fares and are not the safest form of transportation. You will have to visit again when the weather is warmer - there is so much to offer here all year round.

All the best.
212-925-1212

Been to Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge? Share your experiences!