“Disappointment” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge

Save Saved
You added Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge to your Saves list
Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   61 - 63 Chrystie Street, New York City, NY 10013 (Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #215 of 451 hotels in New York City
Marsascala Malta
“Disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

We stayed at the hotel Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge during 22nd and 29th January 2014.

Overall the stay was reasonably ok, but we were very disappointed with the extension of extra floors being built at the hotel during our stay, the "consistant drilling and banging" starting from 8.00am and most evenings carried on later than 6.00pm. Our room was on the 8th floor level which was very close (floor 11 & 12) to the noise and made it unbearable.

When we returned every day to the hotel around 3.30pm for a rest after an exhausting sightseeing day, we encountered this noise and had to leave the hotel to get some peace.
This was very inconvenient since it was very cold outside at that time of the year, as you can appreciate and we were cold and tired.

This was never mentioned before booking our reservation or when checking in otherwise we would have have stayed at another hotel.
We never got any apologies from any member of staff. I think for this inconvenience that we experienced we should be compensated.

Before booking, check that the building works has been completed.
The room was clean, good bed/pillows and breakfast was reasonably good.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gwen L, General Manager at Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
We appreciate you staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. Thank you for the feedback on the construction noise. The noisiest part of the project has been completed as some walls were removed and then rebuilt. I will certainly share your comments with the contractor and remind them that work can only be done between 9am - 5pm. I will also follow up with my team on guest service, especially during this time of construction. Please contact me at the phone number or email below so I can properly take care of you concern. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Gwen Lytle

284 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I am beyond amazed that this hotel has this kind of rating.
We arrived at 12pm well before the check in time of 3 PM, which is what I was aware of. We walk to the front desk and the very first thing the guest service agent says is "can't check in until 3"...no "Hi how are you" or "welcome"..just shows how much satisfaction the staff gets out of saying no to a guest.
Check into the room, and while the room is nice, and clean, we can't help ignore the very loud drilling and banging above us. I call the front desk to inquire and they say "oh I'm sorry they will be done at 5pm"...ok...why wasn't I told about this at check in?? In fact I thought it was NY state law to at least inform guests when they arrive that renovations could directly affect a guest in house. Which of course I will follow up on.
Next morning around 8am that's exactly what happened. Very loud drilling and banging woke us out of a dead sleep. I called the front desk and again was told that "there was nothing they could do, and suggested that I go do something while the work is being done" Excuse me?! Who is it anyone beside me to say that I may want to stay in my room for the day? Not them that's for sure.
Later in the evening I approach the night auditor for menus for a place that delivers late (this was at 130am) she said "nobody delivers" and gave me a phone number to walk to a pizza joint 4 miles away. Ok..I'm not from NY and even I know I had more options than that..low and behold I had steak subs delivered to me to my room via a 10 second google search, which the night auditor could have stood up and do for me if making the guest a priority which it clearly isn't.

Lastly, I go to the soda machine and it eats my money and there is not another machine in the hotel. Night auditor refused to give me my money back because there was a sign posted on the side..again...the side of the machine. Aparantely this hotel really needed to steal my $2.

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. The staff are self centered and oblivious and do not keep guest service in mind as saying "there's nothing I can do" is a big no no to me but obviously not them
Multiple renovations will inhibit every second of your stay as you can not sleep past 8am with no warning from the desk at check in.

This is by far the worst Choice Hotel
I have ever stayed in. Stay away.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gwen L, General Manager at Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
I feel terrible for the experience you had at my hotel. What you experienced is truly unacceptable. I appreciate your observations, so we can improve. I will be speaking to my staff immediately. The hotel is expanding and adding 17 additional rooms to the top two floors of the building. There are about a week and a half of demolition that was noisey, especially on the higher floors. The construction is being done from 10am - 5pm to limit the distraction to our guests. The work is much quieter now and not being done in guest areas. I sincerely apologize for all that you encountered at my hotel. Please contact me at 212-925-1212 or Gwen.Lytle@InterstateHotels.com so we can resolve this with you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Stayed one night at this hotel and loved it. We booked two rooms and arrived early on the morning of December 30th, after an overnight flight. Even though check in time wasn't officially until 4PM they got us one room immediately so we could go and have a lie down and freshen up before heading out to explore the Chinatown area.

The rooms were a good size and very comfortable. Very nice breakfast included, which is served in the lobby are.

Would absolutely recommend this hotel. Staff are great, location is tremendous, and the rooms were very nice.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
We are so excited to hear you had such a great stay at the Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge. You were here for a very exciting time in NYC. Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Port Antonio, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Arriving in the area and looking at the exterior of the building, I was reluctant to stay and really was not sure what to expect. The staff were very friendly and helpful at check-in and that first impression made a big difference.

The room was clean, adequately spacious and well appointed. The bathroom was clean as well. I mostly stayed in my room but did venture out a few times, as I was there on business.

The complimentary breakfast and WiFi were a huge plus.

Throughout my entire stay the staff proved to be very efficient and helpful and the manager on duty was very accommodating.

I would definitely return to this hotel. Thank you team!

Room Tip: Choose a room with natural lighting in the bathroom.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience about our hotel. I am glad it met your needs for business travel. We appreciate your feedback. Curb appeal is certainly challenging in the very Urban setting we are in. We appreciate you giving us a try. We hope to see you again the next time you are in NYC.

Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

What a pleasant surprise! I stay in NY weekly for business and wanted to venture into Chinatown. The rooms were adequate in size & clean and best of all, affordable by NYC standards! The all day coffee service rocked! Awesome staff! Convenient location in the heart of Chinatown and a short walk to Little Italy. The only problem is that the walls are a bit thin and our neighbors were going strong at 4AM. Bring a noise cancelling machine. i will stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your giving the Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge a try and we are so glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us. We hope you will continue to stay with us. I apologize for the noisy early morning neighbors. Don't hesitate to contact the front desk so we can promptly address that. We also have white noise machines and ear plugs available at the front desk for light sleepers.

Gwen D Lylte
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

This was our second time staying here, and it won't be the last. It's hard to beat the location. When I told the desk staff I used to live on the UES and he asked what brought me all the way down there, my response was "Most every place we want to eat or drink in is within walking distance." Not much of an exaggeration: East Village, SoHo, TriBeCa, etc. And speaking of the front desk, everyone was very friendly and helpful on both stays. The rooms are fine - small, functional and clean. No clue about breakfast - keep getting distracted by Russ & Daughters et al. Good subway access, too.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Gwen L, General Manager at Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
I love your story about the food in the area. There are so many wonderful restaurants in our area and the pricing and service is better than midtown. I truly enjoy exploring all the amazing restaurants in the area and have never been disappointed. I will certainly share your kind words with the staff. We appreciate you staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel.

All the best!

Gwen Lytle
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We ended up here by default when another hotel overbooked us. Everything was efficient and excellent. Room was immaculate and warm though smallish.Staff helpful and speedy check in and check out. Great dumplings within meters of hotel. It was not our location of choice but we needed a bed and the end result could not have been better.

Room Tip: we were on 5th floor and experienced no noise problems
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
We feel so fortunate that we had the opportunity to have you stay with us. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. I will certainly celebrate your kind words with my staff. We hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in NYC.

Gwen.Lytle@InterstateHotels.com

Been to Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge? Share your experiences!