“Urban Oasis in Tribecca” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Williamstown, New Jersey
“Urban Oasis in Tribecca”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Loved, loved loved this hotel! Impeccable, courteous, on the spot class A service from the time one arrives till checkout. We stayed at the Smyth and loved everything about it! The entire Smyth staff was over the top amazing! They couldn't do enough for you without even asking. And when we did need assistance with car service or any other questions... within a wave of a magic wand it was done! Beautiful, clean and upscale. Hats off to an amazing Smyth team! The rooms were clean and comfortable... the perfect combination of simplicity and elegance. Tom, Amanda and her crew were over the top on task and so kind. Little Park was outstanding... a must do for any meal, dessert or cocktails. We just wish we had everyones name that made our stay so perfect. Thank you for a wonderful experience!

Room Tip: Any room wonderful!
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Pedro D, General Manager at Smyth - a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Dee D,

Wow thank you for your wonderful review of Smyth! We are so happy to know that our wonderful team lead by Amanda made your stay so special!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and please feel free to contact me directly at gmpedrodias@thompsonhotels.com to assist with your next booking.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Newark, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I had the pleasure of spending a romantic evening at Smyth for Valentine's Day. I was greeted at the door by Sandy a pleasantly smiling door man. He welcomed me, initiated in conversation and escorted me to the front desk where I was checked in by the very polite, pleasant and knowledgeable Monique. They made such good impressions that I could not forget their names or faces. As I entered the room, I was taken by the rose left on my bed. Usually this is a gesture from your significant other but I soon learned that the hotel actually went ahead and did this, how thoughtful. Nice quiet room, very spacious compared to most NYC hotels. I did leave a note that I was also celebrating a 15 year anniversary with my husband on my reservation and just before night's end I was given a complementary bottle of Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries by Christina the AGM of the restaurant Little Park. All in all the hotel was nice and everything was new but the staff really made my Valentine's Day like no other with the little things!

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Pedro D, General Manager at Smyth - a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Lydia N,

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so happy to know that you enjoyed your time with us and that our team including Sandy, Monique and Christina had such a positive impact!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

Room pass cards were often tricky to work on elevator access and room. Shower in room very slow to drain. Toilette paper holder needed tightening to hold roll. Hall noise very obvious from within the room. Glass room divider between bathroom and bedroom annoying when partner turned light on during the night. Rooms were clean but carpet was stained.
Had a very disappointing breakfast in the new Little Park Restaurant on the Smyth premises. There were eight of us in our group and no one left praising the food. Probably the worst muffin ever eaten. Waffles were served without syrup or butter. The fruit plate was miniscule and had a sugary syrup over all. Service was inattentive by disinterested waiters. Definitely not the place for breakfast especially at prices like $10.00 for an orange juice.

• Stayed February 2015
Dear Nancy1003,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review, I am very sorry to learn of your experiences at Little Park as they have won rave reviews since joining the New York dining scene.

With our rooms I am also sorry that you did not like our shadow box style of bathrooms and we do offer different styles to ensure our guest are comfortable and we continue to replace our carpet as needed.

We do hope to welcome you back to Smyth and please feel free to contact me directly to assist with your next booking at gmpedrodias@thompsonhotels.com

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We needed a quick winter getaway and spent the long weekend at the Smyth. The Smyth overall is a fantastic hotel, my partner and I have stayed at the Thompson in Chicago and Toronto and have had wonderful experiences.

The Tribeca location is very convenient to downtown manhattan however a bit far south for exploring mid and upper portions of the city depending on what your looking for.

We were greeted by friendly helpful staff and checked in quickly although we arrived early. Room was clean and spacious with a great bathroom. Be warned thought that the sliding bathroom door doesn't provide complete privacy.

There were a few drawbacks to our stay however. Each day when we returned to the room neither of our key cards would work. On day two there was a welcome letter addressed to another guest sitting on our nightstand, that same day the hotel ran out of clean towels and they had to go to their sister property to get more for us.

Overall this is a great hotel but compared to other Thompson property experiences we might choose another when returning to NYC.

Dear Malcolm P,

Thank you for your feedback and I am very sorry about the issues with your towels as this should not have been the case and we did address it with our housekeeping team.

I know you have been in communication with our Director of Operations and please feel free to contact him for any assistance with any Thompson Hotel.

Warm regards,
San Jose

Loved this hotel!
What else can I say? The great experience started at the door with the warm welcome from the door men, the amazing front desk staff and last but not least (and in my opinion the most important one---Housekeeping). And this is where I want to give a shout out to our great housekeeping lady (we stayed for a few days). We, meaning kids included, and you know how that can be...We saw her one day as we came "home" earlier and she was in the process of cleaning our room. Loved that she accelerated the cleaning-and the room was always impeccable!
"Unfortunately" we stayed one night at the Mondrian, and let me tell you: The Smyth has elegance and class, whereas, in my opinion, the Mondrian tries "too hard"...And even though the Mondrian is located much closer to all kinds of luxury shopping, I would choose the Smyth next time again (btw, Whole Foods is just a block away---another plus point).
If you are used to European sophistication but humbleness at the same time, stay at the Smyth!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Pedro D, General Manager at Smyth - a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear cutiepieM,

Wow thank you for the wonderful review and we are so thrilled to know that we made you feel at home and thank you for the shot out to our wonderful housekeeping team!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and please feel free to contact me directly at gmpedrodias@thompsonhotels.com so that I can assist with your next booking.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife went into the city for a quick overnight to get a break from Winter boredom. We stayed at the Smyth and it was the perfect getaway. The staff was terrific and our room/suite perfectly suited to relax. We had drinks in the "living room" with our kids who live nearby and everyone was impressed with the "at home" feel helped by the fire on a cold night. The pancakes at Little Park were the best.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Steve A,

Thank you for your wonderful comments! We are so happy to know that you felt at home in our new lobby as that is what we strive to create!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We were looking for some place special to stay for Valentine's Day/President's Day Weekend and based on feedback I had heard I thought the Smyth would be the perfect spot - and it was. Not only was the entire staff courteous and helpful from the second we stepped out of out car, but the completely unexpected upgrade to the penthouse suite on such a busy weekend was beyond generous. And as if that weren't enough, of course a bottle of champagne showed up to stun us once again as we were also celebrating my wife's birthday. The room was perfect, our stay was fantastic and even breakfast at Little Park was top notch. I wanted to specifically mention the concierge Franck who contacted me before our trip in an attempt to assist with our planning of activities and such - his help and thoughtfulness was very much appreciated. Our stay was incredibly special and you can be sure we will be back the next chance we have to get away.

Dear Chris G,

Wow! We are so happy to know the team at Smyth made your stay and that Franck went above and beyond.

We look forward to welcoming you back for many future birthdays and please feel free to contact me directly at gmpedrodias@thompsonhotels.com so that I may assist with your next booking.

Pedro Dias

Been to Smyth - a Thompson Hotel? Share your experiences!