“After our wedding....” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“After our wedding....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed for just one night after our wedding om May 19,2013. Took a while to write this review but didn't want to forget because of the lovely experience we had. Arrived at this sleek property and was impressed right away. Its got a real modern New York feel to it yet the front desk staff was warm and efficient. I arrived with a headache that was just coming on (I'm sure from the excitement of the day and the champagne). When I mentioned this as we were checking in, a bellman ran two blocks in the pouring rain to the pharmacy to get me some advil and was back in a flash.
We were shown to a beautiful room that had a gorgeous terrace outside. We all lamented that we would not be able to utilize the terrace due to the rain. One moment later,the phone rang and we were asked if we would like to be upgraded to a King Suite since we would miss out on the lovely terrace due to the rain. We were immediately taken to the suite which was fabulous.
The bathroom was heavenly! Beautiful ammenities throughout. A while later, a knock at the door brought us gourmet chocolates with a handwritten note of congratulations!
This was a first class hotel from start to finish and they went out of their way to make our special night perfect. We will return here for our one year anniversary. And by the way, we ARE Newyorkers! Thanks again Smith for a job well done!!!!

463 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The title says it all. Our corner room was large (particularly by NYC standards) and nicely furnished (I loved it but my girlfriend found it too masculine) with a decent view. The bed was excellent too. We really liked the location (for us better than staying in mid-town) and has a subway stop right outside the hotel. The concierge was friendly and very helpful. However, despite all these very good positives, I'm not sure if we would return as the hotel lacks the ambience of the other hotels we have stayed or visited in New York.

Room Tip: Go for a corner King room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Chose to stay here for a quick, romantic weekend getaway in early April. The location was prime for us--far away from the busyness of midtown, but with easy access by subway to pretty much everywhere. Nicely appointed room, though as someone else noted, the frosted glass shower stall (while cool and contemporary) affords very little privacy. Not sure if every room is like this.

Overall, clean and comfortable with a helpful, friendly hotel staff who were able to suggest places to eat and things to do.

The brasserie, Plein Sud, served great brunch, though the staff was a little surly. We also spent a little time having cocktails in the Toro Lounge. Staff was attentive there (though they were out of wine and ran out of whiskey on a Saturday night, which was odd). Overall, I recommend Smyth for a romantic get away with a cool vibe.

Room Tip: Keep in mind it is NYC and there is almost ALWAYS construction of some sort. Staying on higher floo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Alistair M, General Manager at Smyth Hotel - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear rysigs,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review from your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as appreciating out central location in the heart of TriBeCa.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and in the meantime please feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for upcoming special offers.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed here for five nights, two rooms with five girls on a girls shopping/eating weekend. The hotel was really nice, large rooms for NYC with beautiful spa like bathrooms, great blowdryer. Comfortable beds, the walls were a bit thin we had a noisy neighbor on one of the nights. We ate a few meals in the restaurant Plein Sud and were really nicely surprised at the high quality of the food. Try the smoked salmon flatbread and calamari they are both yummy. One of the highlights of the stay was how helpful and friendly William, the concierge, was. He gave us lots of directions and recommendations over our stay. The staff were all great, would totally stay again. Thanks for a great time!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Toronotgirl35,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and I have passed along your comments to William.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and in the meantime please feel free to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for upcoming special offers.

Minnetonka
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Still recovering form 2 sleepless nights at Smythe. All-night-long construction directly under my 2nd story window. Complete with jack-hammer and heavy equipment. literally impossible to sleep. Not just loud -- movie cinema, in your room loud. All night long.

Complained to desk after 1st night, but they were unable to move me to an inside room. Actually, they couldnt have cared less. Assured me the 2nd night would be better and it was actually worse.

Would have got more sleep on a sleeping bag in Grand Central Station.

Definitely wouldn't stay here for next few months until all of the construction ends. From looks of it, still a ways to go.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tim C,

I was disappointed to read about your discomfort with the construction noise in the area as well as the hotel being unable to move you to an interior room.

You will be pleased to hear that the construction is now winding down in the area and I have addressed your concerns with the front desk.

I would like for you to give us another chance should you return to NY and please feel free to reach out to me so I can take care of your reservation.

We hope to get the chance to welcome you back very soon.

newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights May 2013 - we upgraded to a small suite for an extra $100 per nite but that wasnt value for money so stay with the double room unless youre planning on watching TV all night. Nice breakfast nice decor and helpful staff. The bar isnt really hip and is quite expensive so avoid it. This hotel is in Tribeca but its South so check out the location on google as it might not suit you if you want to be in The Village.

Room Tip: Check out the location its quite far South on Manhattan. Dont bother with the suite upgrade unless i...
Dear NewcastleFilmmaker,

I was delighted to read tha you enjoyed your stay with us.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Thank you Thompson Team. You are exceptional. I love this family and couldn't be happier with my choice to stay at Smyth Tribeca. I come from the Roosevelt Hotel (LA) and it's always been a dream of mine to stay in NYC within the Thompson group. My stay was excellent due to your professionalism, knowledge and politeness. I want to thank Mariel Nardy and Kellee Griffith for arranging my reservation and always being so prompt and helpful. I was not only upgraded but also greeted with a lovely delicious cheese plate and wine and a personal note. I personally know how important the personal touch is and details were faultless. I also wanted to thank the Chief Concierge William Hinds. His knowledge helped us do all the typical tourist attractions and even more. He saved us time by mapping a geographical strategic route and told us what was a must see and what we could skip. He gave us discounted tickets for everything we wanted to visit. His politeness contributed tremendously to our sight seeing experience. People like him are must have in this industry. Thank you thank you thank you!!! The front desk was extremely polite and friendly-always offering their help for my convenience. The room and bathroom were immaculate, and love the toiletries-free of all chemicals and preservatives-never seen anything like that in other hotels and I've traveled a lot. It was a very nice touch of the hotel. Please, don't ever change them. My only disturbance came from the construction outside right under my window where the jack hummer didn't stop until 3am even in the rain, but that's not your fault and it's charm of NYC. I loved my over all experience, and felt at home. I'd definitely recommend the hotel to all my friends and be back soon. I kindly sent my appreciation to your entire team and thank you for the pleasant stay. I hope to be back soon!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the construction zone. Please, please ask your concierge for sightseeing ti...
Dear mklaw2000,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our award winning service. I have passed along your kind comments to William.

You will also be please to learn that the construction has moved further up the block so the noise has eased.

Alistair MacLean

Been to Smyth Hotel - A Thompson Hotel? Share your experiences!