“Fabulous New York Steakhouse” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bobby Van's Steakhouse - 54th Street

Bobby Van's Steakhouse - 54th Street
131 E. 54th Street, New York City, NY 10169 (Midtown)
2122078050
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bobby Van's Steakhouse - 54th Street is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,921 of 11,180 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Special occasions, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
“Fabulous New York Steakhouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

It was all perfect, the service, the starters, the Porterhouse steak, the deserts. It was a wonderful dinner and experience. The portions are huge.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“Excellent food and portions despite Groupon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband purchased a groupon, $200 of food for $100. Usually places skimp on the food when you have a groupon, but that wasn't the case here. Portions were very large. Goat cheese salad was just ok. Basically a pile of lettuce with a few cherry tomatoes, 3 candied walnuts, and 4 crostini with warmed goat cheese. The waiter had a difficult time recalling what was in the salad and had told me sundried cherries, which weren't in the salad. Husband got sliced bacon,portion was huge and he was pleased. Husband got dry aged ribeye, loved it and huge piece of meat. I got Gorgonzola steak. Lots of Gorgonzola, but about a third of the steak was fat and inedible. Side. Of mushrooms was large but lacking in seasoning. Mashed potatoes were good but not spectacular. Onion rings good. I loved the crepe cake, nice and light after the big meal. Husband preferred the pecan and caramel fudge cake, but I thought it tasted a bit gritty, like the sugar didn't fully dissolve or something. Waiter came by to tell us how much was left of 200 at end of the meal before desert, which I thought was nice, however, we ordered 1 espresso for my husband and the waiter asked if I wanted one, too. My husband told him I don't drink coffee. Waiter accidentally brought two. We reminded him that we only ordered one, but my husband said he would drink it. Waiter still charged us for both, which took us above the 200 limit and was annoying. Overall good meal.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Be very hungry before you go!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We also benefitted from a Groupon deal and were glad of it - Bobby Van's is on the pricey side. But the steaks are amazing - and enormous! Everything was cooked to perfection and really well flavoured. It was very busy when we were in (Groupon!) and I did feel we were a little bit neglected but it didn't spoil the evening. This and the not very friendly welcome are the reasons I haven't given it an 'Excellent'

New York City, New York
“I return to my new old school steak place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Haven't been in years but they have not let up a bit. Wine list is good, cold seafood app feeds the table, steaks are excellent, sides are huge & desserts are all house made. There is room for private events and you cannot beat the location (feet from Grand central terminal). They have other locations but nothing beats the original. See J.O.D. East behind the bar.

Florida
“Always the place for us...Ask for the Beef Wellington in advance!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

As usual the food was awesome.

Luca made our evening (even though it was packed) by being attentive to our special night, my husbands 40th!

We did have few issues with being seated, etc. but on a busy Friday night in Manhattan you take a a bit of the bad with alot of the good. Tim, the manager recognized the issues and made sure we didn't leave disappointed.

We will always come back year after year!!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere