“More of a History Comment Than a Review” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Governor's Island

Governor's Island
New York Harbor, New York City, NY 10001 (Financial District)
212-427-4040
Website
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$69*
and up
Viator Exclusive: Ultimate New York City Hop-on...
Ranked #37 of 635 Attractions in New York City
Type: Historic Sites, Islands, Military Bases/ Facilities, Outdoors
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This former Dutch governor's estate, former military fort and former Coast Guard command post now enjoys its old age as a historic monument where you can take the occasional tour.
Daphne, Alabama
40 attraction reviews
“More of a History Comment Than a Review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I lived on Governor's Island from 1974-1978. We lived in Building 877, one of the now abandoned buildings on the Island. Our Daughter attended PS26. We had everything we needed there on the Island, Commissary/Exchange, Bowling, Swimming Pool, Medical, Church. My husband played the golf course almost every day after work and on weekends. I would watch the cruise ships arrive and depart from our window that looked out over New York Harbor. Our children played in front of 877 and in the playgrounds over at Building 866. Thanks so much for all the reviews. I look forward to returning as a tourist someday!!

Visited October 2012

New York City, New York
12 attraction reviews
“Ghost Town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I visited Governor's Island for a food festival over the summer. They had the main park in the middle set up with a music stage and dozens of food booths. The event itself was well-attended, well-orgainized, and a lot of fun. They have lots of similar activities out there all the time. The ferry ride out there was cool. The island property is very pretty, with big trees and winding roads everywhere. There are places to rent bicycles, which looked like it could be fun. The weird part is that there are a whole lot of large, old, vacant houses and buildings everywhere, giving the island sort of a haunted, ghost-like feel. I found myself imagining what life was like in some by-gone era when people actually inhabited those buildings, and it was ever-so-slightly creepy. Not creepy enough to keep me from going back, though, to attend a festival or concert that interests me. I wish they would renovate all those old buildings and put them to good use, like a children's camp or something. Seems like a waste.

Visited July 2012
bronx ny
142 attraction reviews
“Best free activity in NYC!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Been living in New York for 20 years and some how never had visit Governor's island. What a pleasant surprice it was! Great views, nice outdoor art, concerts, views of statued of liberty. Nice free ferry ride. Just a great visit. We took our own picnic so pretty much just the metrocard is all we spend. We walk the entire island and stop in many places for pictures. You can easily spend 2-4 hours here and enjoy!

Greenville, South Carolina
28 attraction reviews
“Wonderful FREE activity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We didn't stay at Governor's Island long, but I loved it. The free ferry ride was a perfect way to see the Statue of Liberty on this trip (even though it's far away), and I enjoyed seeing the Manhatten buildings. We left on the last ferry at 5:30 and enjoyed beautiful views. The island itself is quiet and a great break from the busy city. We didn't ride bikes, but I think it would be fun. We saw the Art Fair (not what I expected) and the FIGMENT installation. Both were just okay in my opinion. I'm excited to see how the city improves this island and what is to come.

Chandler, Arizona
17 attraction reviews
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Took the free ferry over to the island and walked the entire perimeter. Views back to Manhattan are unreal. The island lacks food and drink services so next time we would bring our own. Perfect place for a family to rent/bring bikes, play ball, etc. or just grab an Adirondack chair and take in the views and boat traffic going by at the tip of the island. Great to get out on the water without paying the costs of tour boats, taxi's etc. One of the better free things to do in NYC.