“Celebrated our engagement by seeing Aida at the Met” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #36 of 810 Activities in New York City
Type: Operas, Performances
More attraction details
Owner description: The Met opened in 1883 and is one of the most famous opera houses in the country today.
New York City, New York
29 attraction reviews
“Celebrated our engagement by seeing Aida at the Met”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The Met is something that every person who comes to NYC should experience at least once in their life. Even if you know nothing about opera, go to feel the elegance and sophistication. Go to see the amazing decor. Go to see the best of the best that can be had on this planet. In a city where the performing arts lives like no place else in the world, The Met is undeniably the crown jewel of NYC, and indeed the world, and should not be missed. We saw Aida on Wed, 19th as part of an amazing and unforgettable whirlwind evening (my longtime g/f and I had gotten engaged earlier that night). The performance was spectacular and left us speechless, to say the least. It is always a special night when one goes to the Met, but that night was particularly unique for us and we were glad to have it as part of our special evening.

A few recommendations:

-If you or your partner are new to opera, see something that has a bit of flash or 'glam' to it. For example, I recently took in Eugene Onegin at the Vienna Opera House. OK, Tchaikovsky is great of course, but Onegin is really such a slow and uninteresting work, that by the end of the first act I wanted to slice my wrist. It didn't matter that VOH is a really nice house. I chose Aida for my fiancée’s first operatic adventure because the story is great and the stage setting is spectacular. Even opera newbies will love and appreciate the grandeur of it all. So, pick something with some 'theatrical bling', if you would, like Aida, Carmen or 'Seville'. You should avoid Wagner's Ring Cycle if you're a newbie in addition to any 'experimental' productions which may or may not work.

-Get there on time. Allow more time than you think. If you’re coming by public, consider delays. If you’re coming by stretch limo, it will take you longer than you think, as they’re not as nimble as a taxi. Once inside things like coat checks, finding your seats, etc., will take you longer than you expect. The Met is much larger than you think and you may find yourselves running like lunatics to find your seats on time. You don't want to miss the raising of the chandelier; magical. Get there early enough to let your lady leisurely walk around in her stunning evening gown.

-Dress properly. Even though there are now 'Rush' tkts available at the last min at discount prices, and basically anyone can afford to see a performance (a good thing), please remember that you're not at a picnic in Central Park. It's very embarrassing to see people way underdressed. I mean, do you really think your jeans and sneakers are appropriate there? If you don't know enough to drees for the Met, then where?

-Plan in advance and splurge for better seats. Hey, for you out-of-towners, you've come this far, time to do it up right! Prices are ridiculously high, I agree, but if you’re a guy taking his lady out, I would advise getting the best that you can afford to give her a nice experience. For Aida I had gotten us parterre box seats. A king’s ransom for sure, but so very worth it for my new fiancée’s first opera

I've been blessed in having taken in performances at legendary places like La Scala, Vienna Opera House and Sydney, to name a few. While all are amazing, they seriously pale when compared with the sophistication and elegance of the Met and Lincoln Center. When you come visit us here in NYC, it really is something you should plan on seeing. It will exceed anything that you can ever imagine.

Hope this helps.

Next Stop: The Grand Tier Restaurant

• Turkish first
Toronto
11 attraction reviews
“Ariel squeeked out the Tempest”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The staging of The Tempest was fabulous and you could see the Cirque de Soleil influence. However didn't find it translated well to an opera. The role of Ariel was well done but hard to listen to.

New York City, New York
14 attraction reviews
“Loving the Opera”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I loveeeeeeeeeeeee the opera and this venue is lovely! You can see the stage from almost everywhere in the audience. If you are a student sign up for STUDENT DISCOUNTS. My favorite was Carmen and La Boheme (which I cried through because it was beautiful)
There are free viewings of full operas in the late summer outside right infront of the Opera House.

London
9 attraction reviews
“Room is at a premium!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I've been to many opera houses in my time but I think this opera house has the worse seat space ever! Never had I ever been so cramped up. I won't be coming back here.

Visited October 2012
Oakhurst
10 attraction reviews
“The Barber of Seville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Funny opera good for families and in English. Beautiful holiday decorations. Even the kids enjoyed the show! Don't miss it.