“Avoid at all costs” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #98 of 451 hotels in New York City
San Francisco, California
“Avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

What was once a nice hotel has really lost it. He a Horrible experience - not the first unfort. The service here has good from decent to bad to horrible - brain dead. No pride of the job. Tonight I had a reservation. They did not have enough maid service so did not have a room. Instead of explaining and solving the problem they disappeared and were rude. Not only rude but unprofessional. Avoid at all costs. Only benefit was I discovered Hotel Tonight

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

644 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

It's a pretty and clean hotel with great location. The front desk representative, Lincy was very polite and gave us free upgrade too since we stayed a week there. Housekeeper, Evelyn was nice too. This is our second stay at the New York Palace Hotel and enjoyed it. If you like to shop, this is a very convenient location, and you can walk to Central Park too for bike ride. A couple of bellmen were a little rude but we still love this place. We will be back next time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I spent 7 nights in NYC at the New York Palace Hotel in late June 2014, and we very much appreciated not only the cleanliness of our room, but the entire hotel. Our bed was comfy (except I should have requested 2 more pillows as ours were small - my bad!) and we loved the location of the hotel too. Our room had a nice view of St. Patrick's Cathedral - nice! Not too far away from museums, shops and the theatre district, but away from most of the noise of the city. The hotel was packed too, though we never waited long for room service in the mornings, or an elevator! I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Spring Lake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed at The NY Palace 3 years ago for our anniversary. It was a very nice hotel. We stayed again on Tuesday and it is now a fantastic hotel. All renovated rooms with a minimum of over 360 sq ft of space. Bathroom necessities are first class along with the robes and slippers. Towels are beach towel sized and soft to the touch. We have struggled recently with finding enough electrical outlets for our phones, tablets, computers, etc. Not here! Drawer space was abundant. There were more than enough for our needs. They even shine your shoes overnight -no charge!
Staff was super accommodating. Would highly recommend. I would now rate it a 5 star!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Woodbury, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I have stayed at the New York Palace before and not taken the time to review the luxury hotel and it's exceptional location. I am making the time now because of my recent experience with an exceptional Guest Experience Coordinator named Lee Garrett.

I recommended this hotel to close friends coming to NYC for a first time visit. We all met at the hotel for a reunion this week. Prior to their arrival, I had some special requests that I needed immediate assistance and attention to detail. Lee and his team at Guest Experience followed my every instruction with incredible detail (all through e-mail and a few phone calls). Mind you, I am not used to getting anyone at hotels (even luxury brands) to bother with going out of their way - especially if I am not directly palming them a $20 in tandem with my request.

Lee made sure my surprise was set up beautifully for my guests and maintained a positive professional attitude the same time. He also followed my every instruction to perfection, which I find to be a rarity in the service industry these days. A beautiful hotel is nothing without a team of exceptional people behind it. I would refer this hotel to all important guests, friends and colleagues. The recent renovation to the rooms is fantastic.

Room Tip: Corner room with Cathedral view...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel for a week, it was selected as my husband was in New York for work and the office is close by. We found this hotel to be very arrogant in its approach in what it is selling - luxury accommodation. The hotel constantly advertised how it had recently undergone a $140 million refurbishment. The problem with hotels throwing this sum of money around is that they engage high end hotel designers who have no idea as to what a hotel guest really wants. Rather they just design mini museums in each room. As opposed to engaging people who actually know what a guest is after. This hotel was a disappointment, and I would definitely not classify this in the 5 star league.

Unfortunately I can only think of 2 good points to comment on:
1. The bedroom are large.
2. Good location for midtown.

Negatives
1. When we checked in, reception staff made a big fuss about how we were upgraded and have a room overlooking the cathedral - what they forget to also mention is that it is entirely covered in scaffolding.
2. The hotel is arrogant to believe that customers will pay $11 for a bottle of water in the room - absolutely atrocious. Especially when you can pop across the road and purchase a bottle of water for $2. The price of food in the bakery is also ridiculously overpriced, if this was The Ritz or The Plaza then I would understand, but this hotel is not their equivalent and hence shouldn't charge as so.
3. No coffee/tea making facilities in the room. I have never some across this in any hotel I have stayed in, especially for 5 star hotels.
4. Whilst the room is large, the bathroom is a box. Some space desperately needs to be cut from the bedroom so as to enlarge the bathroom so that you are not climbing over the toilet to use the room. Also there is no extractor fan, so post your shower the bathroom becomes a sauna. Also the toilet is not modern by any means - although new it appears quite dated.
5. No turn down service and complimentary bottle of water left at your bedside - this is one of the items which demonstrates this is not a 5 star hotel.
6. If you need to use the concierge desk then give yourself a lot of time. I constantly had to queue up each morning as there was only ever one person on the desk during peak times.
7. When I went to check out of the hotel, there were 8 staff members standing around the reception desk and not one of them offering to serve myself and a further guest. Rather they just continued on with their social conversations, moving papers around to make themselves look busy and the like.
8. The technology in the room is not the fastest. When trying to change tv channels, be prepared for a long haul. This desperately needs to be made simpler and quicker to do.
9. Also the toiletries were not refreshed each morning.

Room Tip: Pick a high room if you have to stay here as you do hear road noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The New York Palace is the perfect location to start and end the day when touring NYC. The central location is key when exploring multiple areas of Manhattan and is a great home base to reenergize along the way. I thoroughly researched locations and hotels prior to making my selection to ensure an ideal experience. I was extremely satisfied with my choice. Other than location being a top priority, I prefer to stay at upscale hotels but still want to be practical when it comes to price and time actually spent in the room. The New York palace affords both luxury and practicality. I selected the Premier Skyline View Room with two double beds. The rooms at the NY Palace are large in comparison to other NYC hotels and afforded amenities such as robes, slippers and Molton Brown toiletries. Our room (located on the 23rd floor) was clean, bright and overlooked the cathedral. I particularly liked that you were able to open the windows, allowing for peace when needed or for fresh air and to listen to the bustle of the city below.The beds and pillows were extremely comfortable and seemed like landing on a cloud after hitting the NYC pavement all day. The fitness room was clean, well equipped and overlooked the cathedral also. Each morning we visited Pomme Palais (café/sandwich shop) to fuel up before heading out. The coffee, pastries and sandwiches were delicious and reasonable. The staff at Pomme Palais were incredibly polite and accommodating. I strongly recommend to start your day with a café au lait, fresh fruit cup and an almond croissant! At the end of each day, which was usually very late at night, I consulted with the concierge to go over my itinerary for the next day. There was always a concierge available, which is not always the case in all hotels. This hotel was exactly what I hoped for to enhance our stay in NYC.

Room Tip: Choose the skyline or cathedral view option at minimum. The higher the floor, the better the view. S...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to The New York Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!