“Christmas @ The New York Palace” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$995 (USD)
Ranked #101 of 456 Hotels in New York City
Buffalo, New York
“Christmas @ The New York Palace”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Christmas vacay with my daughters and grandchildren in NYC ! We stayed at the elegant NY Palace which is so convenient especially with 3 young children in tow. They even had special American Girl beds in hotel room for my 2 grandchildren. We walked to American Gifl store, Radio City for their Christmas Spectacular, St. Pat's Cathedral and to Nobu for dinner. Nobu graciously made My allergic grandson's meal safe for him !!!

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
PINNER, MIDDLESEX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Major building works right outside our window for the whole of our stay. If your booked into this hotel, make sure you check what side of the building your on as you'll be woken up at 7.15am with this kind of noise which lasts all day ( see video)
As soon as we arrived we were met with this big ugly canopy which acted as a shoot for the rubbish as well as a cover up and we couldn't exactly relax and open the blinds as there was always two or three workmen right outside the window. There was no mention of this in our booking or on checking in, so I don't know what they thought us poor suspecting guests would think of this after spending loads of money for the privilege of staying over a building site.
I am disabled and have to rely on a wheelchair to get around, but there was nothing disabled friendly about the room either. In fact the two queen beds which took up most of the floor space made it even more difficult for me to get around. There was a roll in shower as they call it in the bathroom, but with no seat available until the following evening and not a grab rail in sight near the loo. However they did have a spy hole halfway down the door, which is extremely useful !!!
If you should like to use the hotel facilities, such as the restaurant for breakfast, if you cannot do the stairs to get there, then it's a trek with around five lifts, so beware wheelchair users.
Overall we found the staff to be pretty good, especially the concierge desk. The front desk/reception were not quite so amenable when it came to changing the room and offered me another room with the same facilities and view. After living out of suitcases for two days in the unlikely event of changing to a more suitable room, we gave up and had to unpack. When I mentioned compensation, I was originally offered 100 dollars, which is a joke in this hotel as it cost around £8 for a bottle of coke. I eventually asked the duty manager to come to our room the day before departure so that he could see for himself. He agreed wholeheartedly that it was a sight for soar eyes and said that he would get back to me. I ended up with £200 compensation, which I am not happy with, considering the amount of money we spent on this trip, so I am pursuing it further through my travel agent. Further to this one of our bookings went missing and we spent ages trying to sort this out after a very long journey. Plus the other room was meant to have a cot in place on arrival and that never materialised either. Overall a bit of a shambles and a disappointing stay in New York.

Room Tip: Check for building work before booking
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I recently spent a 2-day stay-cation at the Palace, very curious what this formerly dowdy New York classic would be like post-renovation. I fell in love. The room (main house) was huge, much larger than the tiny things at the Waldorf and other older New York hotels with a wonderful view of St. Patrick's cathedral. Service was impeccable and I got addicted to the coffee at the little (thank heavens, NON-Starbucks) coffee shop. Breakfast was sumptuous, and I loved both hotel bars, really cozy and well done.

Only negatives: I can't figure out why they put the window treatments at the top of the windows (partially blocking the skyline views) instead of using curtains on the side, where there is extra space clearly designed for them. And the wifi signal on the room was really poor.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Frankfurt, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I would like to describe myself as rather experienced in terms of hotel accomodation. I stay in more and less expensive ones on a very regular basis - mainly in Europe but also in the US and Asia. The hotels location is suberb and also the exterior and interior is very nice and pleasant. Reception staff upon our arrival were friendly and helpful and our stay there started promising.

Obviously you can argue that at 15 USD daily fee for WiFi is ridiculous but compared to what we experienced during our stay this issue was really neglectable for us.

We forgot to switch of the "Do not disturb" sign on our first day when we left the room and obviously housekeeping ingnored our room. Fair enough, that was totally our fault.

We are pretty sure we switched off the DND button on the next day. When we arrived back at the hotel in the ecvening the sign was on and therefore no housekeeping once again. At this point I have to be honest. Allthough I doubt it, it is possible that we forgot to switch it off for the second consecutive time. We went to the reception and asked for housekeeping and they send someone up when we left for dinner. When we came back we were "surprised" that the bed was made and new towels were brought but nothing else had been done. Empty cans and bottles were still standing around, all our clothing was exactly, where we have put it ourselves. Nothing was folded, nothing was put together.

This continued throughout our whole stay. We left the room with DND switched off and returned in the afternoon with a DND sign turned on and no housekeeping being done! On our last day, we still had empty cans and bottles standing in our room from the first night! I have to say, I have never ever experienced such a bad housekeeping in my entire life. I have attached two pics to demonstrate how our room looked liked immediately after one of the very rare accoasions of houskeeping.

I went to the reception to complain twice, talked to the manager on duty and all I heard was: "We are terribly sorry, bla bla bla....". There was abolutely no proactive courtesy from the manager.

The picture I had was completed when we checked out and the recptionist did not even ask us whether we liked our stay. Probably because she already knew what our answer would have been.

To cut a long story short: I will never ever stay there again and will probably remember that hotel as the most overpriced hotel I have ever stayed in for the rest of my life!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Mrs M-B and I visited New York for my 40th recently. I was recommended this hotel by others that had done a similar trip.

It is an expensive hotel and similar to other USA hotels - they don't really get luxury!

You stay at the Palace due to it being ten mins walk to Central Park and Tiffany, overlooks St Patrick's Cathedral and two mins to the Rockefeller centre. Saks Fifth Avenue is pretty much next door.

The rooms (we stayed in a standard kingsize double) were pretty standard. Bathrooms were no better than an Ibis. The beds though, as you would expect, are big and comfy with expensive linen. Great view over St Patricks's (admittedly it is covered in scaffolding!).

The communal areas were what you would expect, with the addition of a beautiful wide staircase going up to the first floor. So smart and high but with no real opulence/Trump feel.

There are two bars off the ground floor apparently. We could only find one! A cool dark seductive cocktail bar that we went to on arrival. Great cocktails. Eye-wateringly expensive (pesky sales tax and service charge).

We didn't attempt to eat at the hotel since were were not in the mood for a $50 croissant so cannot comment on the food. We ate at Burger heaven just round the corner (as recommended by the concierge!)

Check in was quick and easy with no queues but it was at 11.30 PM.

We only used the hotel services for finding a good breakfast (excellent), booking open top bus tour (pretty good) and advice on how to get to some of landmarks (very good) - all from the concierge who must be praised for being so helpful.

I'd recommend this hotel due to its location mainly. We did enjoy our trip there (more so than the $11 bottle of water from the mini bar!).

Oh yes, it has no swimming pool. Not sure whether this effects your decision.

Room Tip: Obviously the higher the better.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Stayed at The New York Palace for two nights - May 2nd and 3rd. The Hotel has been recently renovated and they did a great job. The rooms are nicely appointed and the beds very comfortable. We stayed on the 15th floor overlooking the Cathedral. The hotel is expensive, but the location is perfect - and you get what you pay for!. We traveled with two teenage boys and they gave us a second room at 1/2 price (friends and family rate). Our room was a King corner room which was huge by New York standards. The hotel is clean and very well maintained. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable and every request we made was delivered with a smile. Special thanks to Joseph at the concierge desk for his excellent restaurant recommendation and site seeing tips. The Hotel's location makes it the perfect spot as we could walk everywhere - including Times Square, Central Park and 5th Avenue.
We had brunch at the Villard restaurant in the Hotel - the food was delicious and the service impeccable (a bit pricey, but worth it). We also had our morning coffee and treats at The Pomme Palais on the main level - great coffee, lattes and cookies - highly recommend this cafe.
Overall our trip to New York was great and our stay at The Palace made for a memorable family getaway - we will be returning to this Hotel when we visit New York again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking over the Cathedral. This side also gets afternoon sun which is nice. Th...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

This hotel was once owned by Sultan of Brunei and was excellent. Now the hotel has been selled to a new hotel management fund and they have renovated it and it better than ever. New restaurants, bars, renovated rooms etc.... Love the location of this hotel and price yes it is expensive but not as impossible as other around the corner hotels.

Room Tip: Try a room with St Patrick's Cathedral view
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The New York Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!