“Going the extra mile” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #94 of 447 hotels in New York City
Irvington, Virginia
“Going the extra mile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

As president of a company that deals directly with the public, I know how critical good employee training and customer service is to an organization. When a guest enters the hotel, generally the bellman and the front desk personnel set the tone for the quality of service a customer will receive on their visit. It's an issue of first impressions. On my visit to the New York Palace, my Guest Service Agent, Bitan Haidar, provided me with outstanding professional service, courteous and friendly help, and gave me the directions and information I needed. But what makes my experience with him noteworthy is that he went the extra mile to accommodate my needs. My impression of the NY Palace is now molded on the high quality of service I was provided by my Guest Service Agent.

Room Tip: The view of the Cathedral is awesome.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

443 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Leawood, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed here in late December, and I have a previous review posted in early January, 2014.

The location in Midtown is absolutely excellent. We had a room on the 34th floor facing west, and the view was quintessential New York City. The rooms are relatively large, extremely quiet, and the decor is fresh and inviting. The housekeeping staff does a wonderful job, and they are pleasingly quiet. The bellmen are always pleasant and so helpful. There is never a wait for a taxicab. The breakfast cafe is a wonderful place to start the morning, with excellent food/coffee, and staff to match.

But, there is one super-weak area in this hotel, and that is the reception desk. We were scheduled for early arrival, but we were told that there were no rooms available when we arrived around noon. I didn't expect for there to be, as this has always been the case on my several visits to this hotel. But even worse, the woman at the desk was nasty about our even expecting that a room could be available. She told us that a room would be available before three PM, and that we would receive a call. We never did get a call, and when we returned at 3:15PM, the line at reception was extremely long. I noticed a woman standing in the lobby with a name tag on (Palace Hotel Group Sales), and she was kind enough to get our room key. As previously reported, the reception desk at this hotel needs more personnel, and they need to be trained to have smiles on their faces. Further, there must be some way to have rooms available for early arrival.

Room Tip: High floor facing west. And, don't arrive early!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I absolutely loved this hotel! Great location, beautiful rooms! Hugh bathrooms with everything you need! Wished I had stayed longer at this location. Will stay again. Have recently booked this hotel at an amazing deal for my mother and father in law to enjoy!

Room Tip: There was no swimming pool and we did not use the Spa Facility. Choose a corner cathedral view...abs...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Hi,
This is my first review at tripadvisor, but have used this site frequently for insightful info from other travelers.
I have stayed at the palace twice before and have had no prior issues. I have quite a number of good memories assoc with this hotel and thus was excited to be staying there again. However, i was very disappointed with my stay this past weekend.

- It took almost 30min to check into the hotel. The lines were quite long and very slow going. There were only 3 employees for approx 20 ppl. The arrival of another employee didnt help to speed up the process. When we finally did get to the head of the line, and approached the front desk, we were told she was going off duty and to wait for someone else. This resulted in another 5 min wait.
Throughout the weekend, i noticed that the lobby had a long line of ppl waiting to be checked in, at times it was difficult to navigate through the lobby.

- The water was shutdown in the building on sat (04/19). To be fair, there was some sewer work going on so it was unexpected. However, we were never notified of this. Initially it manifested as low water pressure. I called and was told an engineer would come up - no one ever did. When there was no water at all, we called again and we were hung up on the first time. We called a 2nd time and were told that the water would be on at some point and put on hold. We spent over an hour waiting for the water to come on - no luck. We had to shower at a friends apartment.
On going down to the front desk - recieved the same information, they werent sure when the water would come on. Other guests were also caught unaware of this.

For the price one is paying and the service one would expect it was very disappointing. Granted some things are out of ones control, but being hung up on or being told they couldnt serve you b/c someones shift had ended despite having a line up of ppl to check in..seems very unprofessional.
I am disappointed and will not be staying at the New York Palace hotel in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

If you are looking for great location, large rooms and good service, this is the place for you. I stayed with a friend looking forward to two nights for shopping and a business appointment. I had stayed here a few years ago before the renovation. The lobby and restaurants are very much improved as far as convenience. Breakfast doesn't mean going out of the hotel. We found the prices reasonable for NYC. Looks a lot classier. The room was very large (I booked a standard room and opted for the Cathedral view on a higher floor for a few dollars more) and very well appointed. Molton Brown amenities are great. View great all the way down to the Hudson River. Two blocks from Rockefeller Center and bus is right on Madison Ave. Subway very close. Special thanks to Daniel and Bitan at the desk and George at the door.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views and are quieter
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

we stayed at the palace from the 4th of april to 20th, i felt like i was home, amazing rooms at the towers, newly renovated, love the technology in the rooms, the staff where going out of the way to help us in any way they can.
Great Job guys keep it up

Regards

Fawaz

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed at this hotel for business reasons. We where having an industry event and they could not have chosen a better place to do it. Great location in the Midtown East. Close to shopping, the trains, broadway shows etc. Very knowledgeable staff. They offered to place us at a higher floor to get a better view to the city. The in house restaurant is Superb and considered one of the best in the city. If you are a gym freak like myself then you will definitely enjoy the stay because this hotel has one of the most complete gyms you can find at a hotel. The room felt kind of small but I guess thats how they are in this big city because we also spent a couple nights at a nearby hotel and the same feeling. The overall experience was Excellent!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
nypalace, General Manager at The New York Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Jerry M,

I am so glad to hear that you had an excellent experience at the New York Palace. Thank you for this great review and for your nice remarks about our property.

I look forward to welcome you back for another wonderful stay.

All the best,
David Chase

Been to The New York Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!