“Love New York” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Martha Washington Hotel

You added Martha Washington Hotel to your Saves list
Martha Washington Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   29 East 29th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Formerly King & Grove New York) (Manhattan)   |
Special Deal
10% off + $50 Food Credit
Ranked #226 of 460 Hotels in New York City
Leeds
“Love New York”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Lovely hotel with great staff and ideally placed for getting around New York, I would have rated it higher had it not been for the building work that was being done for the whole of our visit which should have been done before we got there. Hopefully they have finished now for other visitors to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Arlington, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

So the good:
-Very decently priced for its location. You will be hard pressed to find a more reasonably priced room in Chelsea.
-Location is ideal, its in Chelsea and its close to both the train (R) and the duane reade.
-The room was clean.

The inconveniences:
-I pre-paid for my room but upon checkout was charged $174. I called and was told it was a glitch in the system and would be removed in 3-5 days. It was removed, but shouldn't have been there in the first place.
-Cleaning supplies were left in our room after it was cleaned.
-Room service attendant could not tell us anything about what was on the menu and the food took a bit too long to arrive.
-Rooms were tiny, which I assumed they would be but just be aware of the almost complete lack of counter space. (I was in a standard room)
-The heating didn't work, so an engineer had to come and fix it.
-The wifi is free for the "slow" internet, and $10 a day for highspeed internet. They suggest highspeed for streaming. I had no issue with YouTube on the free internet but did not attempt Netflix. Overall, I would have liked that the differential be disclosed in advance.

Overall, the hotel was good. It was well priced for Manhattan and clean which are two big selling points, but it could be much better if the staff just paid a little more attention to small issues.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed here with my husband for 4 nights while on a work visit to NYC. When we arrived on Saturday night, the place was buzzing - there's a very busy restaurant on the first floor. But our room, on the 12th floor, was well away from the noise and bustle. The girl on reception helpfully pointed us to a little place up the street where we could get something quick and fresh to eat.
The room was small, as mentioned by other reviewers, but this is Manhattan. We had enough space for two of us, with two large bags, and the storage was pretty good. The bathroom was lovely, with a roomy and powerful shower.
During our stay we ate breakfast at the hotel just once, and had a couple of drinks and some pizza one night. It was all good, and the service was excellent.
The best thing about the hotel is the location. We were able to walk everywhere, and there is a subway station nearby, if you need to go a little further.

Room Tip: A high floor, away from the bustle at street level.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Milton Keynes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This was my birthday treat from my wife, and it was fantastic. I have not been to NYC since 1982 and wow it has changed but mostly for the best.
Our base was the Martha Washington Hotel on 29th Street between Madison and Park Ave. It is well situated and has a nice feel. The bus boy's Steve and ???? where very helpful, unlike the non smiling grumpy receptionists(bar one and I can't remember her name), cheer up girls and SMILE!! The room is small but we did not spend allot of time in there so that's ok. We did have one issue and that was with the seating in the hotel, if your not eating in the hotel there is no where to sit and we where "hotel guests". We bought a drink and then found we could not sit and wait for the table as the seating was reserved. I have a bad hip and need to sit down, so I sat at a table with a reserved sign on only to be told that I could not sit there as someone (not a guest) had booked a table.Well I politely said I would move if and when they arrived.... They never did!!
You need to address that as it just annoys paying hotel guests!!
The restaurant was really popular and very busy so you do need to book, we did eat in there but to be honest I was not overly impressed, the lamb was dry and the pizza very salty. There are millions of great restaurants in the NYC so get out and try as many as you can! My favorite was Keen and that is walking distance, for breakfast get down to Eisenburgs, (a short walk) a real nice old fashioned dinner.

Room Tip: Support the Yellow Cabs or they will disappear!!
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

Reasonably priced, perfectly clean and neat, wonderful people, quieter than I thought possible in the center of NYC. Concierge gave us a great hint with a local restaurant. We even got to see 5 inches of a blowing snow storm. Nice walk to Penn Station.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Gresham, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

A co-worker and I stayed at the Martha Washington (then the King and Grove) on a business trip to the city. The service was tremendous even though the property was under construction at the time. The rooms were a bit cramped but nothing we couldn't deal with. I loved that mine had a view of the Empire State Building out the window. Pretty decent way to go to sleep each night. The location was great too. It was easy to get to lots of great spots in the city. No matter if I was on business or leisure travel, I'd stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Great location, friendly helpful staff . Concierge outstanding . Clean, compact room with every amenity and good sized bathroom. I particularly liked the high quality bathroom products. Housekeeping staff could not have been more cooperative. I so enjoyed staying here and I have recommended it to others who also have been pleased with the standard of room and service. The restaurant serves excellent food and the bar has a good atmosphere. The quality of the champagne served was excellent and contributed to my celebration. I look forward to staying at the MW again.

Room Tip: You will get a good sleep as the hotel is quiet. View not necessary. Nice atmosphere and vibe from r...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
MarthaWashintongNYC, Manager at Martha Washington Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Rose1828,

Thank you for your wonderful review of Martha Washington. Our Concierge team is at the top of their game and we are glad you were able to enjoy their services. We hope you can join us again soon.

John Beck
Director of Front Office Operations

Been to Martha Washington Hotel? Share your experiences!