“Disappointed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Martha Washington Hotel

You added Martha Washington Hotel to your Saves list
Martha Washington Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   29 East 29th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Formerly King & Grove New York) (Manhattan)   |
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2
Ranked #249 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Northern Ireland
“Disappointed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Exceptionally comfortable bed and pillows. Modern bathroom and top cleaning standards. Great location which was both quiet but close to subway, restaurants, attractions and various shopping areas. Sam on reception is the epitome of customer service with a personality to match.

Waited 40 mins as room not ready at 3.30pm even tho booked no of months prior. Very tricky to manoeuvre into room with bed so close to the door. Same problem with door from bathroom also not opening fully due to bed creating a hazard and neither of us are 'big' people. There was almost no storage for clothes never mind luggage and housekeeping actually removed chair from the room. Even the mirror was placed at far end of room where there was next to no room to stand at bottom of bed and too far from plug socket to use hairdyer. Duvets were covered with 2 individual high quality flat sheets as opposed to a duvet cover. I queried room being a 'cosy' room and was offered an upgrade to a superior king room with an additional camp bed. This room was much bigger with proper storage etc although the bathroom was considerably smaller and the camp bed very uncomfortable. Room temperature bottled water was $4, $8 &$12 (usually free in 4 star hotel). The manager who facilitated the move had a most arrogant and indifferent attitude and the member of staff who checked us out barely spoke a word, never mind asking about our stay.

Although I would consider returning to this hotel, I would read the current reviews as I feel a number of the staff could benefit from a lesson or two from Sam. Room size is also a major factor to confirm in advance. Although minor, during our week stay we never once had the heavy front door opened for us and many other guests also commented on this too.

I was very disappointed as this was a special birthday celebration for me and having my adult son most uncomfortable sleeping on a camp bed instead of a proper bed was not how it had been planned. Also we ended up wasting considerable valuable time during check in, speaking to reception about the problems with room and then packing up/unpacking to move to different room. I have travelled all over the world and fully understand that problems do occur and what to expect. Unfortunately though, the hotel experience was disappointing.

Room Tip: would definitely recommend NOT to stay in a standard double with 2 single beds unless you are a cont...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Rye, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I had a very pleasant stay at the Martha Washington Hotel. I knew it would be good before I got here because it is a Chelsea Hotel. And my room was great, very clean and modernly appointed. Plus, the entire staff here was so attentive, especially Daniela at the front desk who makes you feel so welcome and at home from the moment you check in.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
hertfordshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Initial experience was pretty good but once you live in this place for a day or 2 it all begins to unfold. My room,745, was really small and very noisy. The AC was noisy and the noise from outside was horrendous. Service at the restaurant was also very slow and the servers lacked attentiveness.

Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
MarthaWashintongNYC, Manager at Martha Washington Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Nrandis,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Our team is dedicated to providing an excellent experience and we would have been more than happy to provide an alternative accommodation during your stay. We will use your feedback to enhance future guest experience.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Stay at the hotel was very comfortable.
Sam and Nomy took very good care of me and my friends.Bellman Zaman was very helpful with our bags and helped us getting taxi to the airport.
The location of the hotel is fantastic. Appreciate the hospitality of the concierge manager of sending assorted beer and cookies

• Stayed February 2015
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This hotel is self-described as "exclusively for everyone" and Sam and Steve at the front desk know how to make sure you are treated with thoughtful and anticipating service that make you feel exclusively welcome. I needed to make a room change for a little more space. Sam and Steve made sure it was as effortless as possible. That's service! Besides great service, the hotel's location in NoMad is convenient to great restaurants, away from the throngs of tourists, but don't miss dining at Marta, the hotel's lobby restaurant that is open, lively and serving inventive satisfying fare.

Room Tip: Superior or above.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

When the hotel staff are friendly, caring, and warm, you have an amazing hotel. And when the hotel itself is beautiful, comfortable, chic, and in the perfect location (close to the 6 train), you shouldn't think twice. I recently spent an extended amount of time at the Martha Washington for a project (which meant back-to-back bookings because I never knew when I'd finish the work..) and couldn't have asked for a simpler, smoother experience. The staff were so gracious and warm - they upgraded my rooms if the situation warranted it, and always suggested the right rooms to fit my needs. A special shout out to front desk staff: Sam, who is so warm, friendly, and approachable at all hours of the day, Nomy- also extremely helpful, kind, and patient, and Julio, who was always open to giving me the best room possible.

I love the atmosphere in the hotel lobby - with Marta restaurant and bar, it's always full of life and never dead like some NYC hotels in the same district. The hotel staff always makes you feel 100% safe and comfortable even at 3 AM at night. The rooms are gorgeous and beautifully decorated with just enough character to make it feel like a real experience. Even the small rooms feel extremely cozy and comfortable.

I'll be returning to the MW for future visits without a doubt, and when I say I don't think there's another hotel in NYC like it, I truly mean it!

Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Dear JJK532,

We appreciate your kind review of Martha Washington. Sam, Nommy and Juilo are excellent service professionals and we are proud of the service they deliver. We hope you can come back soon.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I loved everything about staying at the Martha Washington Hotel. Great location in the Murray Hill area, convenient to Times Square and midtown without actually being in the middle of that madness. Snappy looking interiors. Nice-size room for the price. Thoughtful touches like electric outlets at bedside. Hip happening lobby and restaurant. And what a friendly, helpful staff. Stephen the bellman took great care of my bags after I checked out while I enjoyed another day in the city - and then immediately found me a cab to JFK (upon my last-minute request on a busy, busy weekday afternoon), cheerfully carried my things out to it and sent me on my way. A great ending to a wonderful stay.

Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
Dear Mary S,

Thank you for your kind review of Martha Washington. We are glad you found the hotel to be conveniently located and our newly renovated rooms to be comfortable. Stephen, our bellman, is an excellent service provider and we are glad you had a chance to enjoy his services.

We hope to see you again.

Director of Front Office Operations

Been to Martha Washington Hotel? Share your experiences!