“Lovely new option to stay while in NYC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Martha Washington Hotel

You added Martha Washington Hotel to your Saves list
Martha Washington Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   29 East 29th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Formerly King & Grove New York) (Manhattan)   |
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2
Ranked #262 of 458 Hotels in New York City
“Lovely new option to stay while in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We tried the Martha Washington Hotel for the first time recently and we were happy with everything. Nice sized room, nice modern furnishings, good bathroom. The staff was friendly and helpful. This hotel is home to Marta- terrific restaurant that is also a real scene at lunch and dinner (if you are looking for that) with good food and nice ambiance. There is a quiet bar in the back of the property on the first floor if you are just looking for a place to settle for some conversation in a comfortable space.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I am forwarding this review on behalf of my boss Domenic Mucchetti .

My name is Domenic Mucchetti and for the last eighteen months I have stayed more than 100 room nights at the Martha Washington. I was there through the renovation and all of the other changes that were made. The one consistent factor that never changed that kept me coming back to the hotel was the great staff employed at the Martha Washington.

The employees are too numerous to mention by name for my fear of leaving someone off the list. That list includes everyone from the chambermaids to the managers.

However, there are several staff members who have helped me throughout my many stays. It starts as I check in when Sam has my room ready and Steve delivers my luggage to the room. Every morning I am greeted by Shelley with her warm smile and friendly conversation and on the day I check out the speed and accuracy of the checkout is always there and ends with Shauron who helps get me to the office in all kinds of weather in the early morning.

I ask that you consider this review 100 fold for the many times I have been at my home away from home.

Dom

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Essex, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I stay at the Martha Washington about once a month for business, and Sam and the rest of the staff at the front desk are always warm and welcoming and provide great service and good rooms. On a recent trip, I dropped an earring down the drain and reported it. When I returned to my room that evening, the earring had been retrieved and was waiting for me along with a personal note. The staff help to make my trips from home cosy and comfortable. Thanks!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Overall, I was quite pleased with my experience at the Martha Washington. The room was relatively small, nicely designed and had a comfortable bed. There were a few small kinks with elements--leaky shower, finicky sink and lack of a robe (personal preference.) Otherwise I was pleased with the service and enjoyed my 12th floor room with a view of the Empire State Building.

Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Preston, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here for two nights. We had done four nights previously at another hotel in a different area of New York and I have to say the Martha Washington was a huge disappointment after having stayed there!

The room was on third floor overlooking the outside air conditioning units which were incredibly noisy. I asked to changed rooms due to the noise and was told that there were no other rooms available! Really?

The room was really small, no desk chair or dressing table. There were no tea/coffee making facilities but there was water on the side, however, this was $8! . What an insult!

It would have been good customer service for th girl on the desk to follow up my request for a room change or at least ask at check out if we had enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Great location between Maddison and 5th Avenue so you can't ask much more if you want to be in the heart of Manhattan. The rooms were small but recently renovated by the looks of it.
Handy snacks and drinks selection in the room (no fridge ) plus sleep aid , sex pack ( lubes,condoms and a game!) and something else.
Nice little bar area were they do cocktails that are not on the menu.
The restaurant (Martha) serves good food mainly pizza dishes it's good food but I really don't understand why so popular. Ate their a couple of times. Breakfast give it a miss and nip up the road to a local bread and butter. The breakfast is not horrible but trying to hard with its menu! It's fussy and early in the morning you want it easy. I asked for a boiled egg it's peel served in a lovely black dish but it's ice cold! You want warm in the morning.
Would I stay there again probably but there are loads of other places you could stay as well.

Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
MarthaWashintongNYC, Front Office Manager at Martha Washington Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank you for your review. We are delighted you enjoyed your time at Martha Washington and that you felt our location was ideal. We are also glad you tried Marta as well as our cocktail lounge, Veronica's. Their specialty drinks are quite special.

We hope to see you again in the near future,

Jorge Gamarra
Senior Guest Services Manager
Martha Washington
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

If looking for a nice hotel in a convenient midtown location at an Ok price for NYC standards this will do but don´t expect a lot more from it.

Rooms are smallest than the average. Bizarrely enough my bathroom was much larger than the room itself!

The staff is very friendly and all facilities are aligned with price and category of the hotel.

The worst part of my experience was to have a room on the back just by the air conditioning machines that were turning on & off the whole night. That definitely does not help with your jetlag. Ask for a room facing the street!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street!
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your experience with our staff and were given a warm welcome. We apologize for the location of your room and we hope that our reception team were able to rectify the issue by changing your room.

We hope to see you soon,

Jorge Gamarra
Senior Guest Services Manager
Martha Washington

Been to Martha Washington Hotel? Share your experiences!