“The magnificent Shelly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Martha Washington Hotel

You added Martha Washington Hotel to your Saves list
Martha Washington Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   29 East 29th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Formerly King & Grove New York) (Manhattan)   |
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2
Ranked #299 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“The magnificent Shelly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We booked for 5 nights at this hotel. We'd stayed before when it was the 30/30 and again when it was the King and Grove.
Both previous stays were pleasant, but this visit was even better - much to do with the lovely Shelly - the receptionist supreme. I had seen her name checked on previous Trip Advisor reviews for this hotel and made a point of seeing if she was as delightful as others had stated.
I was not disappointed!
She was efficiency and helpfulness personified and could not have done more to make our stay more pleasant. We were in NY for thanksgiving and she went out of her way to provide us with local insider information so that we knew the best places to view the Macy's parade and where the best places to dine out were. All in all, a great trip.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Conyers, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We loved the Martha Washington Hotel in NYC. It was extremely clean, the room was spacious, the employees were very helpful and kind! We had a corner room and it was really much larger than we were expecting. MARTA, the restaurant in this hotel, was AWESOME! We loved it!

The only thing that was a little unusual was the bathroom. It does not have a regular shower area so the water from the shower gets the whole bathroom wet.

We would definitely stay at this hotel again and we would totally recommend it!

It is just a few minutes walk to The Empire State Building. :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor due to traffic from street below. Corner rooms are larger and sunny...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
MarthaWashintongNYC, Manager at Martha Washington Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear MandR13,

Thank you for taking the time to review Martha Washington. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Our room layouts are unique and we can arrange for a different style bathroom for your next visit.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

After having moved out of another Manhattan Hotel halfway through my trip (see my review of the Hudson Hotel), I found the Martha Washington to be just what I needed. The hotel and its rooms were light, airy and there was a nice buzz about the place. The restaurant was always busy and clearly popular with residents and non-residents alike. The room was small, but not pokey, and had everything I needed. The staff were great. I have to mention, in particular, Eric, one of the doormen who helped me get a cab at the worst time of the day, when I had all my luggage with me, even though I had only just enough money left for my fare and wasn't able to tip him at all. He was brilliant...thanks Eric! I felt really welcome here and would highly recommend this hotel - particularly to people travelling solo.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
MarthaWashintongNYC, Manager at Martha Washington Hotel, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Deb_101_deb,

Thank you for taking the time to review Martha Washington. We are proud of the service our staff deliveries especially Eric, we are happy to hear he was able to get you a taxi to the airport.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Recently stayed at the Martha Washington. The scene was awesome, service was great - the bellman - Buddy Rubino was super helpful.

Only concern was super tiny rooms and bathrooms... if this doesn't bother you, would highly recommend staying here.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Dear Ravi B,

We appreciate you taking the time to review Martha Washington. We are proud of the service our staff deliveries especially Buddy, we are happy to hear he was ‘super helpful’.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I arrived VERY early in the morning (6 AM) after a 12 hours inter-continental flight. I already got used to the idea that I will only get my room after few hours as the check-in time in my reservation said 3 PM. Yet Shelly, the excellent and lovely night-shift receptionist worked hard to find a room for me - that saved my stay!!!
The room was cozy - not big (it is NYC) but well equipped. The location is really good, and the downstairs chic restaurant also adds to the charm of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sassonandesty,

Thank you for your review of the hotel, we are glad you keep choosing to stay with us. We are proud of the service our staff deliveries especially Shelley our Night Auditor, we are happy to hear she brightened your stay.

Lake Oswego, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

While this hotel may not be for everyone, I absolutely loved it. As a woman traveling alone, and one who loves small hotels, it was perfect! It had a great vibe and felt very intimate and welcoming. I had a room with a twin bed. It was small, but it was cozy and very well done -- perfect set up for a single person. The staff was super friendly and accommodating. I felt very safe staying alone there. The location was fantastic -- great part of town. I have traveled to NYC more times than I can count (even lived there) and have stayed in many different hotels. This one is at the top of my list. I will definitely consider staying at the Martha Washington the next time I'm in the city.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Dear Jennifer M,

Thank you for reviewing Martha Washington. We are pleased you enjoyed our hotel. We believe that a friendly staff leads to happy guests and we are glad you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We are also glad you found our location convenient, the hotel is in an excellent location in Manhattan steps away from great restaurants and landmarks.

We hope to see you back soon.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We used a second party website to book our stay at the Martha Washington Hotel. Our stay lasted 3 nights. The room was on the small sized but expected for NYC. The renovations had just finished when we got there so that was a nice surprise. The restaurant in the lobby was packed every night and smelled delicious. I have recommended this hotel to friends and family to stay at during their NYC trips. It's central location is pretty great too - easily walkable to Times Square, Central Park and many more attractions. The concierge was not able to recommend a good restaurant when we asked him one night which was suprising, so we found a spot on our own.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear TheBirdsView,

Thank you for reviewing Martha Washington. We are pleased you enjoyed our hotel and appreciate that you have recommend your friends and family. We are glad you found our location convenient, the hotel is in an excellent location in Manhattan steps away from great restaurants and landmarks.

We hope to see you back soon.

Director of Front Office Operations

Been to Martha Washington Hotel? Share your experiences!