“Cool hotel, awesome service, tiny rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Martha Washington Hotel

You added Martha Washington Hotel to your Saves list
Martha Washington Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   29 East 29th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Formerly King & Grove New York) (Manhattan)   |
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2
Ranked #304 of 454 Hotels in New York City
“Cool hotel, awesome service, tiny rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Recently stayed at the Martha Washington. The scene was awesome, service was great - the bellman - Buddy Rubino was super helpful.

Only concern was super tiny rooms and bathrooms... if this doesn't bother you, would highly recommend staying here.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I arrived VERY early in the morning (6 AM) after a 12 hours inter-continental flight. I already got used to the idea that I will only get my room after few hours as the check-in time in my reservation said 3 PM. Yet Shelly, the excellent and lovely night-shift receptionist worked hard to find a room for me - that saved my stay!!!
The room was cozy - not big (it is NYC) but well equipped. The location is really good, and the downstairs chic restaurant also adds to the charm of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Lake Oswego, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

While this hotel may not be for everyone, I absolutely loved it. As a woman traveling alone, and one who loves small hotels, it was perfect! It had a great vibe and felt very intimate and welcoming. I had a room with a twin bed. It was small, but it was cozy and very well done -- perfect set up for a single person. The staff was super friendly and accommodating. I felt very safe staying alone there. The location was fantastic -- great part of town. I have traveled to NYC more times than I can count (even lived there) and have stayed in many different hotels. This one is at the top of my list. I will definitely consider staying at the Martha Washington the next time I'm in the city.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We used a second party website to book our stay at the Martha Washington Hotel. Our stay lasted 3 nights. The room was on the small sized but expected for NYC. The renovations had just finished when we got there so that was a nice surprise. The restaurant in the lobby was packed every night and smelled delicious. I have recommended this hotel to friends and family to stay at during their NYC trips. It's central location is pretty great too - easily walkable to Times Square, Central Park and many more attractions. The concierge was not able to recommend a good restaurant when we asked him one night which was suprising, so we found a spot on our own.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Potsdam, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We book this through Jettsetter mostly for location and size of the room being larger than most comparable hotels. The good parts were the location of 29th between 5th and Madison was great. Easy to get cabs, access to restaurants, and in a pinch you could walk 20 blocks to the heart of NY shopping. The bed and linens were exceedingly comfortable and the concierge Gillian deserves a super shout out as her service was impeccable and she was a real joy to stay with hitting out needs on the head.

Downsides were while the room was a fair size the closet was like only 2 foot wide and the bathroom also very small. The perhaps most challenging thing was trying to use a 1 foot wide sink without water hitting the floor especially while brushing your teeth. I had to hold my head to the mirror not to miss. There is also no coffee machine in the room but there is at least 3 major cafe brands less than a block away in different direction. The room was exceedingly quiet until our last night (which surprised us as we were across from the elevators). Apparently someone has smoked on the 7th floor and they turned on an air recirculation system to get rid of the smell. The problem being that it sounded like a jet aircraft starting up in our room once an hour all night long and actually vibrated the duct-work. Needless to say no sleep that night. The hotel bar also does not stock Grey Goose for you vodka lovers but there are other places to go.

Based on what we paid I am not sure it is a great value and I would definitely not have paid more for what we got. While I don't necessarily regret the choice, I will book something different next time.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I've been staying here since it was the King & Grove, and I will keep staying there while it remains the Martha Washington. I'm an attorney with a client who has a strict budget. That budget makes it difficult to find a hotel in Manhattan that is clean, quiet, and classy, where I can get work done. Martha Washington is all of that.

The service staff is particularly helpful. In my most recent stay, Shelley was awesome! She made me feel at home, and, when I left my phone cord in my room AFTER checking out, she helped me back into the room, without giving the run-around, to get the cord and meet my work deadline. I'll be staying at Martha Washington the next time I'm in town.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
newc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

I visited this hotel back when it was called King and Grove when we visited NYC for the first time.

This little hotel was perfect for what we needed!

The room was quite small but the little time we spent in there, we found no issues. The bathroom was spacious and clean. Good shower and very comfortable.

Around the corner to our delight we saw the Empire State Building. Ideal for our trip!

We hope to return to NYC one day and would most definitely stay here again!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Martha Washington Hotel? Share your experiences!