“Poor service, no AC working,” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea

Save Saved
You added Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea to your Saves list
Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   127 West 28th Street, **Rooftop Bar-Under Renovation**, New York City, NY 10001 (Chelsea)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #183 of 449 hotels in New York City
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Poor service, no AC working,”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

On check in on a National holiday there was only one staff on the check in desk!! As a Platinum member you get prior check in ...this is not the case at this hotel!! AC was broken two days running and was just reset - this was the fix which was temporary. Poor house keeping and a dirty room ... concluded that this is a poorly run hotel.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Winge_12,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with the service you received and our facilities. We take all feedback seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

896 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Ithaca, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My partner and I got in very late our first night. The room we had on the first night was small but clean and cozy. It was, however, above a noisy bar. After mentioning my restless night to the front desk, we were upgraded to a spectacular room. Both rooms were meticulously clean, the location of the hotel is excellent for anything in the city and the front desk staff, in particular Enrique, are so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We had a really good experience here. The front desk people could not have been nicer. We were here for the Summer Fancy Food Show and it was a really good location. I enjoyed being on the "Flower" block. Wholesale florist area. We got a room in the back and it was very, very quiet with a very comfortable king size bed. Had fun walking around Greenwich village which is not too far away.

Room Tip: Get a room in the back if you want quiet. No view but hey, when will you be in your room?
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Bill M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear pam h,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. I am pleased that you liked the location of our hotel, the rooms, as well as our front desk staff. I will be sure to pass along your kind words.

Add us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HotelIndigoChelseaNYC . We are hoping to go under a full lobby renovation by the end of the summer. We will keep you posted on our social media sites!

Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed here for a romantic weekend in NYC. The hotel was small. Not much of a lobby. Rooms were clean and nicely appointed, but pretty small, as is typical for New York hotels. If you are staying in Chelsea, this is actually a really good value. Walking distance to LOTS. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I am told that the rooms in the back of the hotel are a little bit bigger.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bill M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear David1003,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. I'm pleased that you liked the location of our hotel. We are hoping to go under a full lobby renovation by the end of the summer. We will keep you posted on our social media sites!

Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We love the cleanliness of Indigo hotels. This chelsea location is conveniet and not terribly loud since situated in middle of the block. The staff were extremely nice and helpful. They had recommendations that were absolutely correct about getting to airport on a Friday at noon. The rooms are a bit snug; however, the great value help to compensate.

Room Tip: Higher floors to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear BevHarrah

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. Thank you for your lovely words regarding our little boutique property on 28th street. I am glad my front office staff were able to situate you for your flight out of NYC. I hope they were able to give you great local recommendations of our neighborhood as well, for it is rich of awesome hole in the walls and iconic places.

As for your kind words, I will be sure the staff sees this and will give credit to where it is owed. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we look forward to your return to our hotel.

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We were not as impressed this visit as our last, 18 months ago. 28th St has slipped to "Is This Neighbourhood Safe at Night?" status in our books. We won't be hurrying back. Saw drug dealing going on and had to get past unruly crowd at McDonalds to walk to hotel ( just after 10 pm, coming from a restaurant on 5th Ave) Hotel room was fine, rooms are higher floors are quieter. Check in easy as we are priority members but no upgrades here. Would also point out that while we were being checked in, the staff member stopped our transaction to check out two people who were waiting and not in a rush.....errr we felt less than welcome at that moment.

Room Tip: Higher floors or rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear CanadiantravellerTO,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. I am glad that you came back to our hotel for a second time! I apologize for the shortcomings regarding the night staff that evening. I have spoken with my staff and I will try my best to ensure this does not happen to another guest. Regarding upgrades for our Loyalty guests, we have only 2 junior suites in the hotel and as much as we would like to upgrade all of our preferred guests, it is just not possible. Instead, we try and preblock you into a nice room on a high floor, or one based on your personal preferences.

In regards to the streets at night, there are cops at every corner patrolling the areas to ensure the safety of the neighborhood occupants. Unfortunately, I am unable to control who hangs around the streets at night, but through neighborhood board meetings, we voice our concerns for our patrons safety so thank you for your feedback!

It was a pleasure having you stay with us and if you would like to further discuss your stay, please contact me direct.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I travel a lot . I'm in hotels a lot Every week. This is not a 4 star hotel, not sure why it's rated as such and it definitely wasn't a 4 star experience. First issues. Professionalism is seriously lacking, lack of energy, half job with bellman, racist which I don't understand when the majority of the people working there are people of color. So we did an experiment, we went some white friends in and some black friends in. The white friends were greeted, had doors opened for them, the black did not. They were just left sitting in the lobby. The white friends entered the lobby and elevators up to the guest rooms and did not have guest keys, so they simply piggybacked off other guests. Security is lacking. Oh, and the lobby is sub par. So I sat waiting to get checked in for over an hour and watched other guests who arrived 45 minutes after me get checked in to be told my card was declined. I contacted the bank, who confirmed that the hotel never put through the transaction. Embarrassing, but no apologies. Next some random employee walked into my room, while I was there. I wonder if this happens often. I'm from New York, not a tourist, but had I been I would have been completely lost. They check you in but you aren't given any other information about restaurants, nearby activities, nothing. After complaining about the guy walking in on me, I was switched rooms and offered a $15 minibar credit. The rooms are tiny. The linen was stained. The guy at the front desk, Jay, had the energy of a carrot and was unprofessional. There's a restaurant but they allegedly have no affiliation with it, yet the restaurant has billboards in the hotels elevators. I hated this stay and wished I had booked another hotel. I've stayed in numerous hotels in Chelsea during my trips, and this was the worst. There was a brawl on my floor that escalated in domestic violence between some couple in a room across from me. The hotel doesn't feel safe or have any real security. There's a bellman but I entered several times pushing a stroller with small children, the door was never opened. Across the board, the entire staff needs to be trained in hospitality. I'm not sure what you are really paying for, there's no real value in booking this hotel, and because of the construction it's hard to find. Everyone is just lounging around. It was hard getting a taxi and if you stay here and not from New York, you're pretty much on your own. The hotel lacks all of the amenities and service of a real 4 star hotel. At it's best it's mediocre, I've had better service elsewhere and would book elsewhere. It appears to be chic, posh, etc online. Maybe that's what they rate 4 star their furniture, but the decor is lacking and there is no concept to the design of the hotel. I'm not sure what they were trying to do or create here, but being artists, and execs and entrepreneurs who are pretty laid back and easy to please, we had a laugh about this being a 4 star property. So I call the hotel and get Jay, this guys a real firecracker, exploding with energy (insert sarcasm). He's not too helpful, I asked to speak to the manager, and yet was never put through I get this same unprofessional dude, so I ask his last name, he says he doesn't give out last names. If you want a better experience, stay at the Double Tree, Holiday Inn Chelsea, and Hilton even have better service. Stay at the Hyatt, or the W...but don't stay here. I was excited because it was an Indigo hotel, but very disappointed. Worst part of my trip was this stay, I regretted booking it, unfortunately it was booked through one of those hotwire/expedia deals and we were stuck there, only for a day but that was long enough.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bill M, General Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear lauragoldb,

Upon reading your review, I am very disappointed that TripAdvisor would allow such a review to be listed on their site. There is in no way that any of the information on this review is correct and I urge potential guests to please read any and all other reviews to get a real sense of the outstanding service not only Jay, but all our staff are known for. The most important aspect of our jobs in hotels is provide our guests a memorable experience by offering a great product with outstanding service. This is what we promise and deliver each day and is referenced by many reviews on this site and throughout the internet. I stand by my staff on this review and welcome any communication forward.

Bill Mehalco
646-484-4329

Been to Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea? Share your experiences!