“Second Stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea

Save Saved
You added Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea to your Saves list
Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   127 West 28th Street, Restaurant and Rooftop Now Open, New York City, NY 10001 (Chelsea)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #194 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Toronto
“Second Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We were not as impressed this visit as our last, 18 months ago. 28th St has slipped to "Is This Neighbourhood Safe at Night?" status in our books. We won't be hurrying back. Saw drug dealing going on and had to get past unruly crowd at McDonalds to walk to hotel ( just after 10 pm, coming from a restaurant on 5th Ave) Hotel room was fine, rooms are higher floors are quieter. Check in easy as we are priority members but no upgrades here. Would also point out that while we were being checked in, the staff member stopped our transaction to check out two people who were waiting and not in a rush.....errr we felt less than welcome at that moment.

Room Tip: Higher floors or rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bill M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear CanadiantravellerTO,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. I am glad that you came back to our hotel for a second time! I apologize for the shortcomings regarding the night staff that evening. I have spoken with my staff and I will try my best to ensure this does not happen to another guest. Regarding upgrades for our Loyalty guests, we have only 2 junior suites in the hotel and as much as we would like to upgrade all of our preferred guests, it is just not possible. Instead, we try and preblock you into a nice room on a high floor, or one based on your personal preferences.

In regards to the streets at night, there are cops at every corner patrolling the areas to ensure the safety of the neighborhood occupants. Unfortunately, I am unable to control who hangs around the streets at night, but through neighborhood board meetings, we voice our concerns for our patrons safety so thank you for your feedback!

It was a pleasure having you stay with us and if you would like to further discuss your stay, please contact me direct.

646-484-4323

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I travel a lot . I'm in hotels a lot Every week. This is not a 4 star hotel, not sure why it's rated as such and it definitely wasn't a 4 star experience. First issues. Professionalism is seriously lacking, lack of energy, half job with bellman, racist which I don't understand when the majority of the people working there are people of color. So we did an experiment, we went some white friends in and some black friends in. The white friends were greeted, had doors opened for them, the black did not. They were just left sitting in the lobby. The white friends entered the lobby and elevators up to the guest rooms and did not have guest keys, so they simply piggybacked off other guests. Security is lacking. Oh, and the lobby is sub par. So I sat waiting to get checked in for over an hour and watched other guests who arrived 45 minutes after me get checked in to be told my card was declined. I contacted the bank, who confirmed that the hotel never put through the transaction. Embarrassing, but no apologies. Next some random employee walked into my room, while I was there. I wonder if this happens often. I'm from New York, not a tourist, but had I been I would have been completely lost. They check you in but you aren't given any other information about restaurants, nearby activities, nothing. After complaining about the guy walking in on me, I was switched rooms and offered a $15 minibar credit. The rooms are tiny. The linen was stained. The guy at the front desk, Jay, had the energy of a carrot and was unprofessional. There's a restaurant but they allegedly have no affiliation with it, yet the restaurant has billboards in the hotels elevators. I hated this stay and wished I had booked another hotel. I've stayed in numerous hotels in Chelsea during my trips, and this was the worst. There was a brawl on my floor that escalated in domestic violence between some couple in a room across from me. The hotel doesn't feel safe or have any real security. There's a bellman but I entered several times pushing a stroller with small children, the door was never opened. Across the board, the entire staff needs to be trained in hospitality. I'm not sure what you are really paying for, there's no real value in booking this hotel, and because of the construction it's hard to find. Everyone is just lounging around. It was hard getting a taxi and if you stay here and not from New York, you're pretty much on your own. The hotel lacks all of the amenities and service of a real 4 star hotel. At it's best it's mediocre, I've had better service elsewhere and would book elsewhere. It appears to be chic, posh, etc online. Maybe that's what they rate 4 star their furniture, but the decor is lacking and there is no concept to the design of the hotel. I'm not sure what they were trying to do or create here, but being artists, and execs and entrepreneurs who are pretty laid back and easy to please, we had a laugh about this being a 4 star property. So I call the hotel and get Jay, this guys a real firecracker, exploding with energy (insert sarcasm). He's not too helpful, I asked to speak to the manager, and yet was never put through I get this same unprofessional dude, so I ask his last name, he says he doesn't give out last names. If you want a better experience, stay at the Double Tree, Holiday Inn Chelsea, and Hilton even have better service. Stay at the Hyatt, or the W...but don't stay here. I was excited because it was an Indigo hotel, but very disappointed. Worst part of my trip was this stay, I regretted booking it, unfortunately it was booked through one of those hotwire/expedia deals and we were stuck there, only for a day but that was long enough.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bill M, General Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear lauragoldb,

Upon reading your review, I am very disappointed that TripAdvisor would allow such a review to be listed on their site. There is in no way that any of the information on this review is correct and I urge potential guests to please read any and all other reviews to get a real sense of the outstanding service not only Jay, but all our staff are known for. The most important aspect of our jobs in hotels is provide our guests a memorable experience by offering a great product with outstanding service. This is what we promise and deliver each day and is referenced by many reviews on this site and throughout the internet. I stand by my staff on this review and welcome any communication forward.

Bill Mehalco
646-484-4329
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I booked this hotel based on points I had accumulated through a credit card. Location was important because we were on a hunt for wholesale beads. At the time I didn't realize it was part of the Priority Club (Holiday Inn) Hotels. We were thrilled with the location for our purposes and very happy with the room, helpful women at the front desk and overall stay. I want to start by saying we arrived at about 11 in the morning and Mar and Natasha were there to help us. We left out bags and they assured us they would let us have the first available room fitting our booking. When we returned Natasha gave us a choice of two rooms while describing each room and recommending one of them. Great advice and very helpful, personal concern for a pleasant stay. If all Front Desk people could be this helpful it would make all the difference in the world for repeat stays. the room was great, not big, lovely, comfortable, super cool bathroom and closet, small refrigerator, working tv and nice view of the flowers stacked along west 138th street. They gave us vouchers for a continental breakfast which was part of the booking. Neither my daughter nor I liked the restaurant but coffee, juice and bagel and fresh fruit were great for us. With a nice comfy room and kind helpful employees I would go back again if I want to be in the Chelsea District.

Room Tip: I was told the rooms in the back were quiet and larger but the one we went with faced the street and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bill M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear katharinehannan,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. I am glad you and your daughter enjoyed yourselves and had a chance to go to Genuine TenTen for your limited bead shopping! Great thing it was open for your one day stay, but you will need to come back for more sightseeing. There are awesome fela markets around the city so give us a heads up before you come back so we can make sure to have a few spots in mind for you.

As for your kind words, I will be sure the staff sees this and will give credit to where it is owed. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we look forward to your return to our hotel.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I used Hotwire to book a hotel for a leisure trip to New York for the weekend. The hotel ended up being the Hotel Indigo, which Hotwire said was recommended by 90 or 95% of its users. It is not a bad hotel, but only gets a mediocre recommendation from me.

The location of Hotel Indigo on West 28th Street in the Flower District was convenient for my needs. It was easy to get on the 1 line as well as the N/R lines to get up and down Manhattan. The neighborhood was also relatively noise-free at night.

The room I had was a decent size for New York City (i.e., probably on the small size for many places but normal for a big city). The hardwood floors were a classy touch. But, the windows had blinds instead of curtains, which meant that it was easy for bright light to stream through in the early morning. Also, all the bathrooms at the hotel do not have tubs but only shower stalls. In addition, the hair dryer in the room was pretty gross and unusable with dust clogging up the whole rear vent.

The staff were friendly, but the late check-out policy was a little disappointing. At most IGH hotels that I've stayed at (everything from InterContinental to Holiday Inn Express), they have been able to give me a 4:00pm late check out for being a Priority Club elite member. When I requested late check out at Hotel Indigo, they first offered 1:00pm, which was only an hour past the regular 12 noon check out. After asking again, they gave me until 2:00pm.

Anyway, this was a decent stay, but Hotel Indigo is not at the top of my list of places to stay again in New York.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Kamloops, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Upon arrival, we were greeted and treated very well by the front desk staff. The room was on the second floor facing the street and I was a bit nervous about noise but I was not bothered by anything throughout the night. The street has mostly flower shops so it's not overly loud. The room was kept well cleaned by the service during our 4 night stay.
The bathroom is nice, the location is great and their service impressed me. I will definitely be staying here again.
PS there is a little cafe nearby called Cafe Guy & Gallard; delicious and good prices. Ate there a few times during our visit and highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Check in was quick, the staff was attentative. The room was typical for NYC, which means it was on the small side. But it was very clean and well equipped. The hotel is close to public transportation and it was pretty easy to get a cab, we had a great time.

• Stayed June 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Judging by the website this was to be an excellent budget hotel from a world class brand (InterContinental Hotel - IHG) but did not come up to expecations. The bedroom was OK, very small, but had everything you could need. Neighbourhood (Flower District) is not great although well enough located if you want to be near the shops on 34th. The worse thing is the restaurant and bar, very grubby, and I had possibly the worst breakfast I've ever had at a cost of $20+. The bar and restaurant have no arrangement with the hotel, surprising and inconvenient, you have to pay by cash or credit card. If you want a budget hotel in NYC from one of the major chains go to Hyatt Place, Hilton Garden Inn which are excellent.

Room Tip: Choose high floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Bill M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear grahammorley,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. We greatly appreciate any feedback positive or negative, and will do our best to address any issue. I will forward your comments to the restaurant.

Thank you very much for staying with us. Below is my contact information if you would like to discuss further.

646-484-4323

Been to Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea? Share your experiences!