“Just okay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea

Save Saved
You added Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea to your Saves list
Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   127 West 28th Street, Restaurant and Rooftop Now Open, New York City, NY 10001 (Chelsea)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #194 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Morganville, New Jersey, United States
“Just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I can not give this a poor rating simply because this was part of my boyfriend's Valentines present and I love him too much to say only bad things.

So I will write out PROs & CONs

PROS-
1- If you get there at the perfect time, most of the street has free parking for the weekend. So the parking is free which in my opinion is AWESOME

2- It is located in Chelsea but it is on 28th which close enough to walk almost anywhere in Manhattan. (If you enjoy walking of course.)

3- While the rooms are tiny, they are cute and I personally thought the bed was comfy.

4- The price was relatively cheap for NYC and for where the hotel's location was.

And now for the CONS

1- The hotel has a club downstairs and the characters that hang out downstairs are truly more than a little shady and the hotel staff does nothing to prohibit loitering outside.

2- There is definitely no evidence that there is a bell hop or anyone that is willing to help you out with your belongings if you are in need. No one was quick enough to say hello or to smile or make me feel welcome. I think that is on the leadership crew or the management to do some training with their employees. These people need to sell me on coming back and telling all my friends about their establishment. I wasn't sold.

3- The shower has NO DOOR...so no matter how hot you make your water, you still feel a breeze and water gets all over the floor so definitely use a towel or two.

4- One of the reasons we booked the hotel was for the rooftop lounge. It's nice to know you can take an elevator upstairs and have a drink before returning to your room. No where on the website, does it say that the lounge is closed. We were informed of this when we got there which to me means false advertising.

5- The view was inside another person's hotel room. That wasn't too fun.

6- This is what made me angry and will probably deter me from staying here ever again. I came to the city to spend a nice quiet time with my significant other. To sleep in, to cuddle, to wake up well rested. Much to my astonishment and without any note from management, there is either construction or maintenance going on in the room upstairs. At around 8:30AM I wake up from continuos banging. It feels like someone was banging my head into a wall. This subsides at around 9:15 and for the next 45 minutes, I hear a drill going in and out of the wall and then more banging. It was not a pleasant way to wake up and to be honest, I had a headache for the remainder of the day.

So if you must stay at this place, I would definitely ask for a room on a floor with minimal noise. And if any of the hotel management is reading this, you guys should really a- train your staff and b- ensure that all your customers are fully aware that your lounge is closed and that you are doing some repair work.

Room Tip: I didn't know that this place has a pool, so ask where it is. Also, make sure you ask for a room...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bill M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Marina,

Thank you for taking the time out to review our property on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your room and the location of our hotel. Please accept my sincerest apologies regarding the noise in the lobby, the noise in your room, and the rooftop closure during your stay. Unfortunately, due to the recent storms, the rooftop was closed last minute and needed repairs. The parties that were meant to be on the roof were moved downstairs regrettably. I do apologize for the shortfall with the front desk and I can assure you this has been taken care of. We appreciate your comments and feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Mariam Dar
646-484-4329

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed here for four nights in February. The price was fantastic, which helped to make our decision. The room was actually fairly nice. The bed is on wheels and does slide around. We were in room in 906, which had no view. There is a good size safe in the room, and the shower is only an overhead type. The problem though is the pressure is on the weak side.

Also, the room only comes with one set of towels. To resolve this, I would swing by the gym (LL) and grab another full size towel each day.

We did not deal much with the staff, but all dealings with them were nice.

There was some snow while we stayed there and the street became quite icey. The hotel did a good job of keeping the area clear in front of the hotel. The construction site next door meant having to wade onto the slushy street to make the way to 6th Avenue.

I know its not the hotel's responsibility, but it would be nice if the hotels along the street de-iced the whole sidewalk. That's a wish list item.

The TV in the room has 150 channels, and it seems almost half of them are in Spanish.

I would definitely recommend the hotel if you can get a low rate, it's a strong value.

Room Tip: Room 906 has no view. Not sure what floor you have to hit to start seeing stuff.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Azhkman,

Thank you for taking the time out to review our property on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your kind words and are glad that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Regarding the snow throughout the block, we are unfortunately are not able to shovel beyond our property. We can, however give our neighboring hotels and shops a call to de-ice their properties. Please let me know personally if you will be staying with us again and we appreciate any feedback!

Best Regards,
Mariam Dar
646-484-4329
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Very enjoyable stay. Helpful staff, clean, comfortable room, great room service. China Latina restaurant in the lobby does the room service. The food is excellent and quite reasonably priced. Good location, very convenient to most things. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
New London, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Although the rooms are fairly nice, the management of this hotel is terrible. I had a major problem during my stay. I complained to Indigo's customer service, they told me hotel management would call me back within2 days. After a week, I called Indigo again. They again promised a call within two days. After another week I called Indigo for a third time and the checked with the hotel's management and told me the hotel was not going to call me back. I would have expected better customer service than this. Frankly, I'm sure a discount motel would have called me back right away. Avoid this overpriced hotel at all costs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear George M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
flippyflops88
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The Glass, the hotel's rooftop bar, is AMAZING! I attended the venue for an open mic and had a great time. The service was impeccable. The bartenders were personable, which is really hard to find in the city, as well as a very hospitable manager.
I would without a doubt return to this venue over and over again. Because I was so impressed with the service, I almost forgot to mention the beautiful view. Even in the winter, they leave a space for you to take a look at the skyline of NYC. A beautiful and warming bar and I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I was at the Hotel Indigo for an event in the bar, January 17th, I didn't know what to expect from the place. I first walked into the lobby and was very impressed. I then proceeded to go upstairs to the bar for a charity open-mic. The rooftop bar looked great. The space itself, is very big, heated, modern and yet comfortable. The view from the bar was awesome and the bartenders were generally nice guys who I ended up chatting with. All in all, I had a great time there.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I helped organize a benefit concert at the rooftop bar of the Hotel Indigo back in January that went fabulously. Everything from setting up to breaking down the event could not have been made easier with the help of the friendly front desk staff and one of the managers, Shaun Smith. He was also kind enough to let the event run past the time scheduled. Another manager, Mar, also allowed sound equipment to be stored at the hotel for a later pickup time. A better venue for the concert, with its cool ambiance and beautiful views of the Manhattan skyline, could not have been picked. I highly recommend the rooftop bar for hosting private events, whether they be casual get-togethers or formal affairs. Huge thanks to Shaun, Mar, and the rest of the hotel and bar staff for making my organization's event such a success!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea? Share your experiences!