“Excellent rooftop bar for hosting events” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea to your Saves list
Booking.com Travelocity
Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   127 West 28th Street, **Rooftop Bar-Opened Seasonally**, New York City, NY 10001 (Chelsea)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #186 of 447 hotels in New York City
New York
“Excellent rooftop bar for hosting events”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I helped organize a benefit concert at the rooftop bar of the Hotel Indigo back in January that went fabulously. Everything from setting up to breaking down the event could not have been made easier with the help of the friendly front desk staff and one of the managers, Shaun Smith. He was also kind enough to let the event run past the time scheduled. Another manager, Mar, also allowed sound equipment to be stored at the hotel for a later pickup time. A better venue for the concert, with its cool ambiance and beautiful views of the Manhattan skyline, could not have been picked. I highly recommend the rooftop bar for hosting private events, whether they be casual get-togethers or formal affairs. Huge thanks to Shaun, Mar, and the rest of the hotel and bar staff for making my organization's event such a success!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

849 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Hotel Indigos are colorful, modern, and not the cookie-cutter boring sameness that permeates so many chain hotel/motel chain rooms. Hotel Indigo in the Chelsea and "garment district" section of lower Manhattan continues this model in an area that is "changing" from 100% commercial during the day and empty at night into an area that is becoming more residential with more human activities after 5:00: restaurants and shopping. Within one block of this Hotel Indigo are three other "small" new hotels {Each is on a small footprint but is 17+ stories high with only 6 rooms/floor]. , stores, For most light/air ask for a room on a high floor; Rooms on the street side of the hotel will also have more light. Restaurant has limited and overpriced menu. Rooftop bar would be more pleasant if the volume of the music were kept to lower levels. "Off the beaten track" but still in central Manhattan. Give it a try,

Room Tip: High floor, street side
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bill M, Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear wharfinger,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with our hotel. We are happy to hear your positive remarks and your overall satisfaction with our hotel and area. We hope to have you stay with us again in the near future. Fell free to contact me if you have any question or need any assistance. Thank you again,

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have been staying in nyc on business for the last few months so i think i have a good handle on what you can get for your money.

The indigo is without doubt the best priced hotel hotel for the quality of rooms.
It is on par with the eventi and thompson les. The rooms are new, the linen is good and you can even open the window which i love. The area is not the best nor the worst but it is midtown and the subway is not so far. I walked easily to Union square.

The down side. The desk staff and resteraunt staff while nice enough were frankly amateur. I had the impression that they were either new to the jobs or had received zero training. During my check in i could not believe the state of the check in desk. it was a mess. I think the remains of somebodys lunch was visible. I had never seen this anywhere else.

It was suprised at the quality of the room vs what i had experienced at check in. Normally you get dissappointed when you see the room this was the opposite.

I would politely say to the manager make sure the check in desk creates a better experience
and impresson. After this i would ask have he staff received training ? -- I am a customer on business i dont expect to be greated with a ' whats up'.

This hotel has the makings of something very good ... but the staff currenty do not.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at back. Breakfast was an odd expereince You can have omlette but you cant change top...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear dogduckcow,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and noticed the attention to detail we put into the cleanliness of our rooms. I do apologize for the shortfall with the front desk and I can assure you this has been taken care of. We greatly appreciate your comments and feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions. Thank you

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

i was skeptical but was assured by friends that have stayed at other Indigo properties- plus the value could not be beat but i was expecting budget quality and i have to say the room size is pretty much the same as the standard rooms at Tribeca Grand, Soho Grandm Thompson LES,
it is a new building with nice rooms- great bed and aveda bathroom products! central location- close to many chelsea spots and easy access to rest of city. super friendly and helpful front desk staff.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the back- you wont have a view but it will be quiet
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is relatively close to a few different subway stops, nearby to a couple different bars and restaurants, and if all else fails there is a McDonalds across the street. The property is small but comfortable, the front desk people were always very kind. My only complaint is that the heater in the room did not work 100% of the time. In fact it would be in the 30's outside and my heater would continuously pump out cold air. There were times when I left the "heat" on all night and turned it up all the way, the heat WOULD kick in eventually, after hours of cold air pumping in. But it seemed like when housekeeping came in during the day they would turn off the heater and I would have to start the process all over again. I called down to the front to complain about this and they said someone would come check it out, I don't think this ever happened. I would recommend this only for spring travel, when heat is not required.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear frhou,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. We appreciate and wish to thank you for the kind words for our front desk staff. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the heater issue you experienced. I understand the discomfort this caused you. Rest assured that this matter will be looked into. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Allentown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I agree with all of the good reviews Hotel Indigo has received; however,there are details that in an average hotel would be totally acceptable, but in a hotel of this caliber... For example, while my room was clean, quite nice looking and the bed VERY comfortable, there were nicks in the paint, the floor tile in the bathroom shower was very discolored. There was no hotel information book--where ice machines are (another small problem--only 1 ice machine and it is in the lower level). I had to call for its location and then call for how to use the television, what was available on TV for additional charge, etc. The Keurig cups offered only 1 tea. I asked housekeeping to give me two on my second day. They didn't. The staff was friendly.
Probably the best example of the uneven quality: yes, the amenties were Aveeda, and yes there was a bathrobe, but the bathrobe was not plush terry, but rather a cotton waffleweave.
Again, very small details, butI expect almost perfection for the scores people have given the hotel, and I have styaed at hotels in NYC that deserve the 4 1/2 to 5 stars they get because they attain that level of excellence.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
indigo21, Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear lindaannie2,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. We greatly appreciate your comments and are happy to hear you enjoyed the cleanliness and comfort of our rooms and hotel. I do apologize for the issues you experienced with the room, ice machine, television, and room directories. I would love to talk about this in more detail so we can fix these issues for future guests. Please feel free to contact me below and we hope to see you again real soon!!

Denton, Texas, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We come to NYC every few months for work, and tried Hotel Indigo this time. I love it! It's conveniently-located, a bit funky, great service and they pay such attention to detail. From the amenities in the bathroom, to the Keurig maker, to the free WiFi, to the bathrobe provided, to the modern yet cozy interiors - all just little extras to make your stay. The staff has been superb as well, more than eager to exceed your expectations. We also tried the restaurant downstairs (China Latina or something like that) and it was really good. An interesting mix of Asian and Latin food, again, with great service. Will definitely return here next time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
indigo21, Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear t0nyaglen,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience while staying with us. We are excited to hear that you loved our hotel and the amenities we offer to our guests. Your comments will be forwarded to all our staff and again thank you for your kind words. We hope to see you again in the very near future.

Hotel Indigo New York City - Chelsea
646-484-4329

Been to Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea? Share your experiences!