“Disappointing, even for NYC.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea

Save Saved
You added Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea to your Saves list
Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   127 West 28th Street, Restaurant and Rooftop Now Open, New York City, NY 10001 (Chelsea)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #195 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“Disappointing, even for NYC.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

The Indigo was a disappointment for me. The front desk staff were not rude (by NYC standards) but neither were they friendly or welcoming. No smiles, minimal eye contact. Not a great start. The pair of guys at the front desk were either having a bad day or just in the wrong job.

Parking is on the next block. The Indigo has a deal with a parking company to offer its guests a tiny discount. The garage gives you a ticket and the front desk will validate the ticket. Overnight parking costs just under $50 with tax, even with the 'discount'.

There is construction in the adjacent lot which means parking on the same side of the street is restricted. There is no designated hotel parking zone in front of the Indigo, plus there is a fire hydrant a few yards from the entrance, so it is not really even easy to pull over and leave your bags and then go park your car. There was no valet, bellman or any other assistance offered with bags or parking. Other hotels handle this better with signage and valet service.

The location of the hotel in relation to places you might want to visit is pretty good. However, the particular street where the hotel is located is below average for the area. There was a significant amount of trash piled up along both sides of the street and mainly commercial vans and trucks during the day. The street is mainly made up of florists which is sort of interesting but at night, everything is shuttered and the street is a little unpleasant. Adjacent streets are also a little sketchy and there is no evidence of the art scene that you might expect for Chelsea. There is none of the character and charm that you might find in other parts of Chelsea or in the West Village.

The location is something of a gamble for the Indigo. They have obviously decided to build a wannabe-boutique hotel in a pretty low-rent street in the hope the the area will become gentrified. However, the Indigo has been here for a while and the street still looks shabby. Locals would probably consider the Indigo to be in the middle of nowhere - which is slightly unfair given it's proximity to main attractions - but other, better hotels are closer.

The rooftop bar is fine but - as another poster has mentioned - attracts the 20-something cocktail crowd. That's fine but there's no obvious place for adult hotel guests to hang out - the lobby is tiny. I don't want to be around a bunch of hotel lobby drunks as I come in and out of my hotel and this is the result of putting a destination bar at the top of a small hotel.

The room was kind of a mixed bag. It is designed to be cool and trendy, and to a point, it is. But there was no attention to detail - the little things that make a $600 room seem worth it. The walls were scuffed, hotel stationery tatty and the laminate flooring made a nice change from carpet but didn't seem very clean. The bathroom was nice though and the basic level of finish was okay - but for the price - there was nothing impressive about this room. In fairness, it wasn't as tiny as some rooms I have stayed in in New York hotels.

The most positive thing I can say is that the maid was very friendly as I left - "have a happiness day!" she said. Kind of ironic that the person with the best understanding of customer service is the one paid the least.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Euphemus,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We apologize for the shortfalls during your stay and sincerely regret the service you experienced on your arrival. We have addressed the matters with the respective departments in order to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future. Your comments are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Myrna M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Lewes, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I agree with another reviewer who said that it's not that there is really anything wrong with the Hotel Indigo. In fact, the staff are pleasant and the room was clean. We just didn't feel like we belonged there. We were turned off when the street and the plaza outside of the hotel were covered in trash and stayed that way for our entire 3 day stay.The room was extremely small, way too small when you consider Indigo's rates. (The king bed and one side table pretty much took up all of the floor space.) The decor looked cheap, especially the super graphics that seemed to be tacked to every surface. Although the rooftop bar had a terrific view, we didn't stay because it was clearly geared to the "20-somethings on a night out" crowd. In fact, at 2:00 am on Sunday morning the staff had to intercede to get us into an elevator...the lobby was jammed to overflowing when the elevators could not keep up with the demand of the roof-bound party crowd. We were relieved to leave.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear debandjim15044,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please allow me to apologize for the issues you had with your room accommodations and any inconvenience you may have experienced that affected your stay negatively. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Thank you for staying with us and I hope that you can give us a chance to show you what we have done.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay... Lets just say that I always clean before allowing my children to enter hotel rooms but this room was so clean and nice that I did not need to do that. So clean, great service, and perfect location. The room was quiet and we had everything we needed. Would highly recommend

• Stayed November 2012
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Maybe boutique hotels aren't for me, but I decided to give this place a try and was a bit disappointed. The rooms are small. Yes, it's New York so you expect rooms to be smaller than elsewhere, but it was pretty small even for New York. I really felt cramped in there. The cloth on the furniture also looked a little worn/dirty, although they were acceptable. I also just didn't really like the shower design. It was like a typical shower in a glass enclosure except there was no door, so that water could spray out if you weren't careful about the angle that you pointed the shower head.

For the price, I just didn't feel as comfortable in the room as I do at other places with similar prices. I think it was just a lot of little things.

I did receive the option for a free breakfast or $15 in minibar credit as a Platinum member. I appreciated it and did take advantage of it.The location is reasonably close to a couple of subway stations so it's easy to get to, and it's quieter than the Times Square area.

I don't think it's a bad hotel, but I just didn't really feel it. Others might like it more than I did.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
indigo21, Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear pseudosphere,

We appreciate your honest feedback about your experience with our hotel. We regret to hear that our hotel is not for you and that your experience was not to your liking. We regularly receive positive feedback on the design elements, size of rooms (large for NYC), service, and cleanliness that unfortunately you did not get to take advantage of. We are very proud of our product and happy that the grand majority of our guests find our hotel to be their thing. Thank you again for your comments

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Like Magnus2009, my friends are staying at the Hotel Indigo as a result of displacement from Hurricane Sandy. ALL the staff have been unbelievably helpful, friendly and professional. The hotel is modern and close to Penn Station, Chelsea galleries, the High Line, etc.

The rooms are very clean, bright and modern. The bed is very comfortable. My friends have not had noise problems.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The woman at the front desk was so rude when we checked in. She was on the phone, asked me for my last name, put her hand out for my credit card and ID, had me sign something, and never said so much as two words to me! I raised my eyebrows and walked away since she was clearly much too busy. Very strange, if you ask me.

The bathroom was much nicer than expected. The room was fine, although the curtains, chair, and towels were dirty. The towels in the bathroom looked like a woman had wiped her makeup off on them and totally grossed me out. I asked for new. The walls are paper thin and I was woken up every morning around 1AM and again at 5AM.

Nice area - walking distance to my meetings and that's all I needed. But I wouldn't stay again. So many choices in NYC!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear tjcheerio,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with our property. I sincerely apologize for the negative interaction you had with the front desk agent during check-in. Also, I regret to hear your comments on the noise and the dirty towel found in your room. As you have probably read from other reviewers, these instances are extremely rare. You will read over and over again from others about the friendliness of desk staff and how quiet and clean our rooms are. I apologize that you did not have this similar experience that the majority of our guests have had. If you would like to discuss your experience further please feel free to contact me below. Thank you again,

Jersey City, NJ. USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I am blessed to be staying in this hotel as a result of being displaced from my home due to Hurricane Sandy! As a double victim (I'm out of my office for several months as that building sustained severe damage as well), it is refreshing to deal with a staff that is probably the kindest, most professional group of individuals I have ever encountered in the hotel industry! (And I've travelled a lot due to my career).
While not particularly "fancy", the Indigo provides comfort and ease in buckets. The bed is great, the place is spotless and the location truly cannot be beat! Major subway lines are within a block in either direction, and dining from fast food to gourmet is within walking distance. It is pretty much in the center of anything one must see in New York! I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
indigo21, Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Magnus2009,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience with your stay at our hotel. We are extremely happy that you enjoyed yourself and we were able to accommodate you in a time of need. As you have experienced, our staff is always there to take care of any guests needs or requests without hesitation. We hope that you are able to get back to your everyday life as soon as possible however will be here for you whenever you need. Thank you again for your review and let me know if you need anything.

Hotel Indigo New York City - Chelsea
646-484-4329

Been to Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea? Share your experiences!