“It just wasn't for us” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea

Save Saved
You added Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea to your Saves list
Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   127 West 28th Street, **Restaurant Under Renovation Until Oct 3rd. Rooftop Bar Now Open**, New York City, NY 10001 (Chelsea)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Special New York Savings!
Ranked #194 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Lewes, Delaware
“It just wasn't for us”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I agree with another reviewer who said that it's not that there is really anything wrong with the Hotel Indigo. In fact, the staff are pleasant and the room was clean. We just didn't feel like we belonged there. We were turned off when the street and the plaza outside of the hotel were covered in trash and stayed that way for our entire 3 day stay.The room was extremely small, way too small when you consider Indigo's rates. (The king bed and one side table pretty much took up all of the floor space.) The decor looked cheap, especially the super graphics that seemed to be tacked to every surface. Although the rooftop bar had a terrific view, we didn't stay because it was clearly geared to the "20-somethings on a night out" crowd. In fact, at 2:00 am on Sunday morning the staff had to intercede to get us into an elevator...the lobby was jammed to overflowing when the elevators could not keep up with the demand of the roof-bound party crowd. We were relieved to leave.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear debandjim15044,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please allow me to apologize for the issues you had with your room accommodations and any inconvenience you may have experienced that affected your stay negatively. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Thank you for staying with us and I hope that you can give us a chance to show you what we have done.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay... Lets just say that I always clean before allowing my children to enter hotel rooms but this room was so clean and nice that I did not need to do that. So clean, great service, and perfect location. The room was quiet and we had everything we needed. Would highly recommend

• Stayed November 2012
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Maybe boutique hotels aren't for me, but I decided to give this place a try and was a bit disappointed. The rooms are small. Yes, it's New York so you expect rooms to be smaller than elsewhere, but it was pretty small even for New York. I really felt cramped in there. The cloth on the furniture also looked a little worn/dirty, although they were acceptable. I also just didn't really like the shower design. It was like a typical shower in a glass enclosure except there was no door, so that water could spray out if you weren't careful about the angle that you pointed the shower head.

For the price, I just didn't feel as comfortable in the room as I do at other places with similar prices. I think it was just a lot of little things.

I did receive the option for a free breakfast or $15 in minibar credit as a Platinum member. I appreciated it and did take advantage of it.The location is reasonably close to a couple of subway stations so it's easy to get to, and it's quieter than the Times Square area.

I don't think it's a bad hotel, but I just didn't really feel it. Others might like it more than I did.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
indigo21, Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear pseudosphere,

We appreciate your honest feedback about your experience with our hotel. We regret to hear that our hotel is not for you and that your experience was not to your liking. We regularly receive positive feedback on the design elements, size of rooms (large for NYC), service, and cleanliness that unfortunately you did not get to take advantage of. We are very proud of our product and happy that the grand majority of our guests find our hotel to be their thing. Thank you again for your comments

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Like Magnus2009, my friends are staying at the Hotel Indigo as a result of displacement from Hurricane Sandy. ALL the staff have been unbelievably helpful, friendly and professional. The hotel is modern and close to Penn Station, Chelsea galleries, the High Line, etc.

The rooms are very clean, bright and modern. The bed is very comfortable. My friends have not had noise problems.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The woman at the front desk was so rude when we checked in. She was on the phone, asked me for my last name, put her hand out for my credit card and ID, had me sign something, and never said so much as two words to me! I raised my eyebrows and walked away since she was clearly much too busy. Very strange, if you ask me.

The bathroom was much nicer than expected. The room was fine, although the curtains, chair, and towels were dirty. The towels in the bathroom looked like a woman had wiped her makeup off on them and totally grossed me out. I asked for new. The walls are paper thin and I was woken up every morning around 1AM and again at 5AM.

Nice area - walking distance to my meetings and that's all I needed. But I wouldn't stay again. So many choices in NYC!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear tjcheerio,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with our property. I sincerely apologize for the negative interaction you had with the front desk agent during check-in. Also, I regret to hear your comments on the noise and the dirty towel found in your room. As you have probably read from other reviewers, these instances are extremely rare. You will read over and over again from others about the friendliness of desk staff and how quiet and clean our rooms are. I apologize that you did not have this similar experience that the majority of our guests have had. If you would like to discuss your experience further please feel free to contact me below. Thank you again,

Jersey City, NJ. USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I am blessed to be staying in this hotel as a result of being displaced from my home due to Hurricane Sandy! As a double victim (I'm out of my office for several months as that building sustained severe damage as well), it is refreshing to deal with a staff that is probably the kindest, most professional group of individuals I have ever encountered in the hotel industry! (And I've travelled a lot due to my career).
While not particularly "fancy", the Indigo provides comfort and ease in buckets. The bed is great, the place is spotless and the location truly cannot be beat! Major subway lines are within a block in either direction, and dining from fast food to gourmet is within walking distance. It is pretty much in the center of anything one must see in New York! I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
indigo21, Manager at Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Magnus2009,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience with your stay at our hotel. We are extremely happy that you enjoyed yourself and we were able to accommodate you in a time of need. As you have experienced, our staff is always there to take care of any guests needs or requests without hesitation. We hope that you are able to get back to your everyday life as soon as possible however will be here for you whenever you need. Thank you again for your review and let me know if you need anything.

Hotel Indigo New York City - Chelsea
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Overall, I am pleased with my stay at the Hotel Indigo. However, I have found that the desk staff are not nearly as welcoming as the staff at properties such as the Trump SoHo and the Mondrian SoHo. When I checked in, hardly a word was said. Not even a "welcome". But since then, I have conversed with other staff, whom are very friendly. Rooms are clean and nice, but the hallways feel run down, like a re-habbed, old Holiday Inn.
Not sure I will stay there again...tonight will be my 4th night, and I will be happy to go home.

Room Tip: I was on the 2nd floor, so was afraid that the street noise would bother me. But I didn't have...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sue_GR_12,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review on your recent stay. I apologize for the negative experience the staff provided you during your stay and I hope from reading other reviews you can understand that this is absolutely not typical from our hotel. I will personally look into and please contact me if you would like to discuss this further. Thank you again,

646-484-4329

Been to Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea? Share your experiences!