“Had my doubts but pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carvi Hotel New York

Save Saved
You added Carvi Hotel New York to your Saves list
Carvi Hotel New York
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   152 East 55th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #117 of 456 Hotels in New York City
“Had my doubts but pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We'll have to echo other positive reviews - our room was clean, comfortable, quiet and to our surprise - pretty spacious. The bathrobes are a nice touch.

Staff were always helpful and friendly.

Don't get me wrong - it's conveniently located - but after dark the area is pretty lifeless. However this is easily remedied - head to the night spots.

We booked via Hotel.com and received a discounted rate. While it's a little more pricey compared to other hotels, the room size and hotel location makes it good value for money.

Room Tip: Executive Queen room 306 was quiet and pretty spacious
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Victor P, Owner at Carvi Hotel New York, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear ASXSA,

Thank you so much for your comments! I'm very glad to heard that you enjoyed your stay. It is unfortunate that our neighborhood doesn't provide much entertainment; hopefully that changes in the near future!

Look forward to seeing you again!

Regards,
Victor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Zagreb, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is a small hotel with friendly and helpful staff. Rooms are good size and clean. Comfortable bed. The hotel itself is quiet, no slamming doors etc. Although there is a lot of noise from traffic. Lovely terrace on the top floor. The hotel doesn't offer breakfast, but there are plenty of options nearby. Free WIFi. Convenient location, few metro stations nearby.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Victor P, Owner at Carvi Hotel New York, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Hello myholidays12,

Thank you for your review and glad you enjoyed your time at the Carvi New York. Hope we will see you again in New York or in Portugal.

Best,
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was a trip for my Husbands birthday and we stayed at the Carvi Hotel 20th June to 28th June 2013 , it was a perfect hotel for us. The staff were so very welcoming , kind and helpful without exception. I think KAZLET sums it up perfectly by saying it is clean, comfortable and caring. We stayed in Room 703 and it was ideal, on the top floor, not far from the lovely roof terrace which we really enjoyed. We would not hesitate to stay at this lovely hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello suzyp8,

Thank you so much for the review of our hotel! We hope to spend many more birthday's with you. See you next time!

Best,
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed at the Carvi Hotel for a good 3 nights while I was on holiday with my boyfriend. He stayed a little longer than a week and he said the hotel was "alright". The room itself is quite small (even for a hotel in Manhattan). I've stayed in some pretty tiny rooms, but this room definitely is WAY too small for a family - I would say a couple is already tight. There is almost no room to walk between the TV stand and the bed, not to mention that there is no room to open my luggage (maybe a bit between the nightstand and the wall). I don't recommend it for a families or traveling with more than one other person. The bed was only queen sized too.

That being said, the amenities are very basic. It comes with a TV (that's so slow when changing channels or turning on), WiFi (which was decent) and small fridge in the room (which was more like a freezer when we put bottled water in it). The washroom was alright, but NO counterspace at all and I had a difficult time organizing everything. There was also no conditioner the ENTIRE time I was there! What kind of hotel has no conditioner? I had to go out to a drugstore and buy a travel sized one. The bathroom also has very bright lights - but no lights IN the shower. It was oddly lit in that way. The AC was also very awkward (like others have complained). It was very loud but also very inaccurate - it would be either VERY cold or VERY stuffy... and I rather be cold than stuffy so I huddled on the bed a lot.

All in all though, the location is actually very prime and I liked how easily accessible everything was. That's the beauty of NYC in general though. I took the subway a lot and even when I didn't, Rockefeller Centre was only a 10 mins walk away. There's no restaurant in the hotel, but there's a 24-hour McDonalds around the corner or the restaurant across the street (which my bf didn't like so not recommended). The staff were very friendly - but we didn't have a lot of conversion. I didn't like being on the first floor because you can see our room door straight when you walked into the hotel - so lots of noise (especially in the morning).

Despite the small room and on-par services, I would still say that the value is good for the hotel. I probably wouldn't come again, but it was a good stay while I was there. Great for solo travelers or those traveling with a budget.

Room Tip: The room I had - had no view. It was the view of the back of the adjacent building. The first floor...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

The Carvi is a very nice hotel for the traveler who wants to be close to Park Avanue and Lexington Avenue, or near the southern tip of Central Park, which is only a few blocks walk. Friendly staff made my stay here a very pleasant one, and the rooms are awesome for a single person or couple. Not recommended for a family sized party.

• Stayed June 2013
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This hotel is so small that you can walk right by it. The creation of it is an amazing feat of engineering. The width must be no more then forty feet across yet they manage about six rooms per floor. The total rooms must be only about 40-45. A hotel like this can only be found in the US in New York but in Europe's big cities it is more common. The lack of space requires numerous compromises that you won't find by larger locations, no closet, desk, or virtually any space to move in your room. Your bed will take up 80% of the room and the TV console will take up another 10%.I found it humorous how the bathroom door brushed by the toilet when you opened and closed it, they measured this puppy down to the inch.

I found as a solo business traveller with only minimal interest in hanging out in my room for this to be a perfect hotel. The location is as good as it gets with the St. Regis just down the road going for 800-1,000 a night. You get to pay as much as a chain hotel and get a boutique feel and personal treatment from the staff. My meetings were two blocks away and I was within a couple of blocks of some great eateries and an evening run in Central Park.

The negatives are that these rooms work best for solo travellers. I wouldn't want to share this room with anybody. In addition if you get a room facing 55th then you will get a lot of noise coming through the windows until 11 and starting up again around 5. The curtains are also curious in that they don't block out the entire light which also causes you to wake up earlier then you perhaps would like.

Overall for the solo and at most couple travelling who want to spend most of their time running about the city and just need a convenient place to sleep after a busy day of exertions, you really have a great option with this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

I loved this hotel. Front desk staff (Lucy and Flavia) are so helpful, beds are very comfy, rooms are clean with step-in showers. Location is perfect. Lots of buses run up 3rd Ave and down Lexington, so the Carvi is well placed for exploring. No on-site restaurant but Midtown Restaurant opposite is great. Rooms have individually controlled air-conditioning and the TVs have a really good range of free channels inc. BBC America and HBO. I'll definitely stay here again when I visit New York.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Carvi Hotel New York? Share your experiences!