“Great services and near almost everything” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carvi Hotel New York

Save Saved
You added Carvi Hotel New York to your Saves list
Carvi Hotel New York
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   152 East 55th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #123 of 452 hotels in New York City
Levis, Canada
“Great services and near almost everything”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This is my second time in New york, i was looking a hotel near everything. if you’re looking for a great location with clean and stylish rooms, then the Carvi works but don't,expecting all the amenities....restaurant, concierge, Spa. It near the metro station and easy to walk around to most attractions (Bloomingdales, Saks, Rockefeller Centre, Grand Central Terminal). My room looked out over the main road below (4th floor), but the noise was not an issue. The bed is very comfortable and there is an armoire unit and lots of drawer space. Bathrooms are bright with great showers The room comes equipped with a safe,coffee machine, refrigerator with beer, bottle of water and snacks that are modestly priced. Also, there is an iron and board. Rooms aren’t big but they are adequate and a lot has been considered in the design. Furnishings are very trendy and practical. Staff was very professional and helpful for getting us where we needed to go. I saw that they have rooftop patio but i didn't get there because it was little bit cool. I like this hotel because is easily accessible and is close to everything. Even the hotel doesn't have all the amenities this is what is great is that there are many shops and restaurants around the hotel: Starbuck at the corner of the street, not far bakery, restaurant Indian's face and hand: a Chinese restaurant and pizzeria to eat more quickly when you are tired after long hours of walking!

A tip: take good walking shoes because we do everything in NYC on foot! Not far from the hotel there are metro stations (which is great do not hesitate to take subscriptions week for unlimited subway and bus!).

Room Tip: Ask the 4th floor, really nice room and quieter
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

277 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Arlington, VIrginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is a wonderful little find right in the middle of Manhattan. If you are expecting all the amenities – restaurant, concierge, spa, etc – this isn’t the place for you. But if you’re looking for a great location with clean and stylish rooms, then the Carvi works. Rooms aren’t big, but they are adequate and a lot has been considered in the design. Furnishings are very trendy and practical.

Carvi is a European-style property. The lobby is small – just a front desk, a couch and a laptop. I didn’t see the rooftop patio because it was too cold. Since there is no restaurant you must find a place for breakfast. We were directed to La Baguette on Lexington Ave., just a ½ block away – great fruit salad bar, bakery goods and hot items, like waffles and croissant sandwiches. Right across the street from the hotel is a the Lychee, a Shanghai-Chinese restaurant which was very good and not expensive. If there is room service, it isn’t evident as there was very little in the way of information about the hotel – not even a pen or piece of paper to write on. So obviously – no menu! Bed is very comfortable.

Rooms have bright lights on both sides of the bed for reading. There is a desk but no real seating area in the room. Some rooms do have a chair but the one I had, did not. It did have a queen sized bed and I never felt cramped. There is an armoire unit and lots of drawer space.

Bathrooms are bright with great showers! You can adjust the pressure in the shower which is a nice feature. Lighting is a little odd. There is no light near the shower and the one over the sink could use a higher wattage.

The room comes equipped with a safe, refrigerator and snacks that are modestly priced. Also, there is an iron and board.

Don’t look for magnificent views. My family had a room in the front over looking the street; mine was in the back, looking into an office building. But it was certainly quiet.

It’s a hotel that I will stay at again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Chosen by and booked through my work, as the trip was work-related. Check-in was efficient if not particularly friendly/welcoming. Rooms are small and basic, but have everything you need including a safe, iron, and the coffee machine is a nice touch. By and large it was clean, but I found some food remnants (seeds) on the wall by my bed, and the carpet was quite old (it seemed). However, the rooms are serviced every day, with fresh towels and dressing gowns etc (although the seeds remained!). Slippers would have been a nice touch. The bathroom and bathroom supplies were fine – although I missed not having a bathtub, the shower was spacious and powerful. My room looked out over the main road below (4th floor), but the noise was not an issue and I carry ear plugs with me anyway. There is no breakfast service, but you get vouchers for a restaurant over the road (which I didn’t go to so can’t comment). The free Wifi is a massive plus. The temperature in the room was tricky to get right – I tended to blast the heating for five minutes and then switch it off as it was quite noisy and felt stuffy with the hot air blowing, but it was too cold without it (that wouldn’t be an issue in summer).
The hotel is basic, not boutique (as advertised). It’s important to understand that so you aren’t disappointed, as I was slightly. It gets the basics right, but no more than that; however I understand this is reflected in the price.
Location-wise, it was great for work – right in Manhattan, and NY is pretty easy to walk around anyway. When I did get taxis, they weren’t familiar with the hotel, so carry the address with you.
I will probably stay there again through work, not through my own choosing. If I came back for pleasure, I think I might look for something with a few more extras and a bit more ‘polish’.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I had heard great things about this hotel, but, I found it to be a little better than average. The staff was great---when I checked in late, the young lady at the front desk asked if I was jennifer (guess I was the last to check in that night!)---so that was nice. But the room itself, while homey, was just okay. The hot water took 10 minutes to work at 615 am, the wifi was free, but no free am coffee that I saw. Front desk person in the AM was really nice, too. I don't know, just kind of unremarkable; I don't know that I would rush back.

• Stayed March 2013
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed at the Carvi for 3 nights. Had excellent rates for NYC, and it was walking distance to most attractions (Bloomingdales, Saks, Central Park, Rockefeller Centre..)
The rooms were clean, and a good size for New York. Very nice bathroom.
The only problem encountered was the AC/Heating. In the afternoon, the heat would blast super hot, then at night, the AC would come on blowing very cold air, with a weird smell.
The rooftop was very beautiful, went outside even in the cold March air.
Overall, great value for your money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Staying for the first time I was very pleased with the cleanliness of the room, for this price rooms will be compact but comfortable. Room facing away from street had no noise whatsoever. My only caveat was the room service dinner, food was mediocre. Definately try a local restaurant.

• Stayed February 2013
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

My sister and I stayed here in July 12, very impressed with the location and the cleanliness of this small boutique hotel. Staff was very professional and helpful for getting us where we needed to go. My sister injured herself our first day there, so we didn't get to have the experience we were hoping for, she ended up staying in the hotel most of the trip because she could not walk. The comfy beds and the staff helping us get ice for her injury made it a little more bearable, i don't know if we will every have the opportunity to make another trip to New York, but if we do, we would love to stay at the Carvi Hotel.Thank you

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Carvi Hotel New York? Share your experiences!