“Basic rather than 'Boutique'” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Carvi Hotel New York

Save Saved
You added Carvi Hotel New York to your Saves list
Carvi Hotel New York
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   152 East 55th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #120 of 452 hotels in New York City
London
“Basic rather than 'Boutique'”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Chosen by and booked through my work, as the trip was work-related. Check-in was efficient if not particularly friendly/welcoming. Rooms are small and basic, but have everything you need including a safe, iron, and the coffee machine is a nice touch. By and large it was clean, but I found some food remnants (seeds) on the wall by my bed, and the carpet was quite old (it seemed). However, the rooms are serviced every day, with fresh towels and dressing gowns etc (although the seeds remained!). Slippers would have been a nice touch. The bathroom and bathroom supplies were fine – although I missed not having a bathtub, the shower was spacious and powerful. My room looked out over the main road below (4th floor), but the noise was not an issue and I carry ear plugs with me anyway. There is no breakfast service, but you get vouchers for a restaurant over the road (which I didn’t go to so can’t comment). The free Wifi is a massive plus. The temperature in the room was tricky to get right – I tended to blast the heating for five minutes and then switch it off as it was quite noisy and felt stuffy with the hot air blowing, but it was too cold without it (that wouldn’t be an issue in summer).
The hotel is basic, not boutique (as advertised). It’s important to understand that so you aren’t disappointed, as I was slightly. It gets the basics right, but no more than that; however I understand this is reflected in the price.
Location-wise, it was great for work – right in Manhattan, and NY is pretty easy to walk around anyway. When I did get taxis, they weren’t familiar with the hotel, so carry the address with you.
I will probably stay there again through work, not through my own choosing. If I came back for pleasure, I think I might look for something with a few more extras and a bit more ‘polish’.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

272 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I had heard great things about this hotel, but, I found it to be a little better than average. The staff was great---when I checked in late, the young lady at the front desk asked if I was jennifer (guess I was the last to check in that night!)---so that was nice. But the room itself, while homey, was just okay. The hot water took 10 minutes to work at 615 am, the wifi was free, but no free am coffee that I saw. Front desk person in the AM was really nice, too. I don't know, just kind of unremarkable; I don't know that I would rush back.

• Stayed March 2013
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed at the Carvi for 3 nights. Had excellent rates for NYC, and it was walking distance to most attractions (Bloomingdales, Saks, Central Park, Rockefeller Centre..)
The rooms were clean, and a good size for New York. Very nice bathroom.
The only problem encountered was the AC/Heating. In the afternoon, the heat would blast super hot, then at night, the AC would come on blowing very cold air, with a weird smell.
The rooftop was very beautiful, went outside even in the cold March air.
Overall, great value for your money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Staying for the first time I was very pleased with the cleanliness of the room, for this price rooms will be compact but comfortable. Room facing away from street had no noise whatsoever. My only caveat was the room service dinner, food was mediocre. Definately try a local restaurant.

• Stayed February 2013
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

My sister and I stayed here in July 12, very impressed with the location and the cleanliness of this small boutique hotel. Staff was very professional and helpful for getting us where we needed to go. My sister injured herself our first day there, so we didn't get to have the experience we were hoping for, she ended up staying in the hotel most of the trip because she could not walk. The comfy beds and the staff helping us get ice for her injury made it a little more bearable, i don't know if we will every have the opportunity to make another trip to New York, but if we do, we would love to stay at the Carvi Hotel.Thank you

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Beverly, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is a very small boutique hotel which is reasonably priced, and with on-street parking overnight which saved us the cost of a garage. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Also free internet always adds to the value of the room. The hotel is within walking distance to many sightseeing areas. On the down-side, the rooms were very small. We kept our drapes closed the whole time as our "view" was of an office about 30 feet away. There is an Asian restaurant a few doors away and we could smell Asian food in our room all the time. The positives outweigh the negatives if you are just looking for a place to sleep.

Room Tip: The rooms away from the front may be noisier, but al least they must have a better view!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel 1/18 - 1/21 and we were very pleased with the hotel and it's decor and the soft robes that were complimentary. Although the room was very small and the shower can barely accommodate one person, it was still very modern. Our room #504 (very quiet) had no windows/views which was a plus as it allowed us to enjoy tranquil peacefulness after long hours of walking the streets of Manhattan. The bed was firm and comfortable.

No real complaints that is worth mentioning.

We really enjoyed our stay and the staff is courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: #504 is very quiet (no views).
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Carvi Hotel New York? Share your experiences!