“Food not bad, Owner, rude, loud, scary, horrible temper, unprofessional” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Finestra

Finestra
1370 York Ave, East 73rd Street, New York City, NY 10021 (Manhattan)
(212) 717-8595
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #4,509 of 11,777 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Guilford, Connecticut
“Food not bad, Owner, rude, loud, scary, horrible temper, unprofessional”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

Our visit to "Finestra" was probably the most horrible experience ever!!! It was like a bad dream, how could it be real? We ordered our meal, being only the second table with people at 9:00 at night..."the busy time in NYC...but not this restaurant"....suddenly the front door was opened...the cold air rushed in. My father, innocently asked.."why is the door opened"??? An extremely loud, large, scary man, screamed, with a very distinct accent, some very rude, threatening words...yelling at us.."who are we to ask why the door was opened"???? He continued to scream, rant and rave...Our waitress, mortified with his rude, threatening behavior, came over to us...to try to apologize, We asked..."who is this man"...and to our surprise, we found out he was the owner!!! Honestly, we were shocked. We have traveled around the world, and NEVER have I run into such a crazy situation. I actually thought this strange man was a "Crazy bag man"...and was shocked to find out he was an owner. When we left, I calmly asked him..why would her yell like that...He continued to scream....we left quickly...This man..this owner should be locked up in a psychiatric facility! Never would I recommend this restaurant to anyone...too bad..the food was ok...but a visit to NYC should not leave you scared that the owner of a restaurant was going to kill you.

• Visited October 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Bethesda, Maryland
“Splendid Italian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

The food, service, and ambiance are excellent in this little neighborhood restaurant. Although it isn't cheap, the prices are reasonable and the value is high. Although I only come to NYC about once a year, the owner always greets me effusively and I'm well fed. I recommend this restaurant very highly.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ithaca, New York
“Lovely Neighborhood Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Close to Cornell Med, this restaurant offers a cozy atmosphere and delicious food. For those who stay at the Helmsley Medical Tower while a family member undergoes medical treatment, Finestra offers a warm respite from the stress of the day. Their lemon veal is superb and their desserts are definitely a treat.

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Avon, CT
“Neighborhood Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

My wife and I had a lovely lunch yesterday at Finestra on York Ave. at the corner of 73rd. St. The atmosphere is warm and inviting with beautiful oil paintings of the restaurant and other artwork tastefully displayed. There are several lunch specials for $11.95. We tried two of them - a Chicken Finestra which was grilled chicken breast with balsamic vinegar accompanied by grilled eggplant and other vegetables. It was delicious and a large serving. Our other selection was a whole wheat pasta primavera beautifully prepared with lots of fresh vegetables, garlic and olive oil. Our service was prompt and professional. We look forward to returning here.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Northeast USA
“Finestra in NYC -- Bravo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2008

This little Italian gem is on the corner of York and 73rd. The restaurant is warm and intimate. The service was excellent. Small bowls of tiny olives and fabulous chunks of aged cheese, along with fresh Italian bread kept us happy until the entree arrived. My eggplant was the best I've had in a long time; the side of angelhair was cooked perfectly. My husband's veal dish was equally as good. Wonderful place for a quiet dinner out! Also, walking distance to Cornell and Columbia and Sloan Kettering hospitals.