“Interesting place.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Macao Trading Co

Macao Trading Co
311 Church St, New York City, NY 10013-2491 (TriBeCa)
212-431-8642
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Macao Trading Co is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #636 of 11,186 Restaurants in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Chinese, Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Neighborhood: TriBeCa
Cross street: Walker and Lispenard Streets
Transit: J, M, N, R, Z & 6 trains to Canal Street and 1 train to Franklin Street.
Clifton, New Jersey
“Interesting place.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Our visit to Macao this past Saturday was so fun. The place was interesting. Cool concept - great warehouse style decor. We actually liked the atmosphere. We ordered “mushroom & truffle croquettes”, “chicken & pork belly dumplings steamed”, “ants climbing the tree”( most interesting name, was very spice) and “African chicken” . All was delicious. The drinks were little strange.
I had “No name” – never again and “Dr. Funk” was awful. Service was good. Place was very loud.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“WORST RESTAURANT EVER. SAVE YOURSELVES PLEASE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Firstly, I want to say that I always wanted to try this place as it is in my hood and I love Tapas! I am a total foodie. This place was horrific. We ordered lamb meat balls, croquettes and a vegetable dish.The food was so-so BUT served too us " ice cold "which made it inedible. Secondly the attitude of the Manager, Yassine is a complete EMBARRASSMENT. HORRIBLE. NASTY. The waitresses have serious attitude which makes for a terrible dining experience. Asking for some bread was a problem- I was told. " We don't usually do this when we are busy so I guess I will this one time???" Once again served cold bread--sorry but a bill for over $160. We should be able to get bread and water? Every glass of wine we ordered (we ordered several) was priced differently and sized differently (even though we ordered the same sancerre) . There are 101 great restaurants in NYC--so no need to choose this joint.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“You NEED to go here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

OK, I don't write a lot of reviews on TripAdvisor - in fact I've written one in my life and that was a really crappy review of a horrible Chinese place in Scottsadale, Arizona called Hottie's or Lottie's or something (don't ever go there!) - so what I'm saying is you can take this review VERY SERIOUSLY because I'm not one of these plebes who raves about the freakin' Olive Garden, OK?

So believe me when I tell you that this is one of the best overall dining experiences I've had in years. Great atmosphere the moment you walk in the door. Cool, hip vibe, and not trying to hard if you know what I mean. I read one review here that criticized the 70's music. Please. It's vintage R & B, and if you can't appreciate that over dinner, you need to get yourself checked out.

The service from entrance to exit was impeccable. I mean that. Genuine, well-mannered, amicable, intelligent people who are good at their jobs. Our waiter in particular, Danny, should own his own restaurant one day, or be the CEO of a major corporation, or be Secretary Of State. Whatever, this kid is going places.

The cocktail menu hints at fun and inventiveness and the actual cocktails do not fail to deliver on that promise. There's a problem with the menu, however. The problem is you want to order everything on it! In the appetizers department, we THOUGHT really loved the shrimp, but that was because we hadn't tasted the dumplings yet! Killer dumplings. These are to dumplings what Michael Jordan is to basketball. And then we had the Ants Running Up A Hill or whatever the hell it's called which is an excellent dish on its own but when complemented by the Shrimp And Bacon Fried Rice, it'll make you forget about sex. Think about those five words juxtaposed together. Shrimp And Bacon Fried rice. Seriously just think about that for a minute before you read on. This is to rice dishes what Jack The Ripper was to serial killers.

We didn't have room for dessert but every dessert item on the menu looked awesome. And I hate dessert.

Listen, everyone has a right to their own opinion - unless you don't like this place, in which case you really don't.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, MA
“Good service, yummy food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Cool place, crowded, recommend reservations and best for smaller parties. I do not recommend for children. Steamed dumplings were very good, lobster dish was very good. Little bit loud but not obnoxious. Expect a small table and to be close to your neighbors...it is normal for NYC. Will return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida
“What a cool vibe!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

The drinks and ambiance is why you would come to this restaurant. the food was good, the music was unfortunately too heavily set in a 70s theme for my taste, but what a cool place.

The drinks are AWESOME!